Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 05:29 PM

554 posts, read 1,154,984 times

Advertisements

I posted earlier about a possible relocation and a commute between Davis (vet school) and South SF (potential job). Dropping the vet school potential for sake of discussion:

So the initial interview went really well. I expect husband will be asked for a face to face, on site discussion. He is really super excited about this opportunity. I am more apprehensive for a variety of reasons that will be taken fully into consideration if we have a decision to make.

Our situation: Family of four, including two young kids. Rising 1st grader, nearly 3 year old. Four small dogs, one cat. I show and exhibit the dogs, train and compete in agility. Can have absolutely excellent recommendations from one previous and one current landlord regarding the pets and total lack of damage in the homes. Animals are immaculate. I understand that this may help our case, but more than likely not in a competitive rental market.

We need good public schools. Commute, shorter is better but with the other considerations.....? Gross salary will be in the $180k range, possibly more with "incentives" but no idea on a dollar amount for this. We have no debt, no car payments, etc. We max out the 401K and contribute the max to the Roth IRAs yearly. I consider us to be rather frugal with most things, but not food. We like fresh, local, organic within reason.

So, would we be be able to find housing on this budget? With the pets and public school considerations? We really need a single family home with some sort of yard. Right now this issue is the largest hurdle for me as we approach this potential offer.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 06:50 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
For sure, a lot of landlords will be weary about the four dogs and one cat, but money talks. I don't know how much you are willing to spend but it sounds like you can afford the higher end houses (higher ends tend to be more pet friendly and less competitive due to many renters being priced out). Naturally, you can't just walk up to a landlord and say hey I have four dogs, rent to me! Offer to pay above the asking rent price, put down a larger deposit, maybe pay several months rent up front, put a monthly carpet cleaning (pay for by tenant) in the lease, etc, etc. Strategies that are already used by many renters, you just have to one up them to get the rental.

If you have great credit, great references, can demonstrate that your animals are well behaved, and offer to pay more than the market rent; I think at least one landlord will bite. It will take some digging to find that one landlord though, but I don't see it as impossible. One the other hand, if you are being stingy, only going after the more affordable places hoping a sympathetic landlord will take pity, and fighting with twenty other renters for the same place, then your chances are slim to none.

Also of note, it will be easier if you wait til after the summer. Summertime is crazy competitive.

Last edited by beb0p; 05-17-2012 at 07:04 PM..

Old 05-17-2012, 07:02 PM

Thanks for the input. In our current rental there is laminate on the main floor and carpet upstairs. We have trained the dogs to stay downstairs. They are not permitted upstairs They are always crated when unsupervised. Hopefully we would be able to find one willing soft-hearted soul out there!

I have no idea about the timing, should he get an offer. But I imagine he will go ahead of the rest of us, start the job, and house search. We would not follow until he had secured something. I guess that allows a bit more flexibility. Maybe?

Any particular areas to recommend for a South SF commute?

Old 05-18-2012, 02:44 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
South SF itself has good and bad areas. Neighboring Brisbane is very quiet and sleepy; but don't know about their schools. Milbrae, Hillsborough, Foster City are upscale and have good schools; as is the good parts of San Mateo. The Westlake area in Daly City is nice, also not sure about the schools.

If your husband is willing drive further, Palo Alto and Menlo Park are known for their schools. Maybe Belmont too, but not sure.

You'll have to research the schools and their boundaries - some of which are drawn funky. Schools/neighborhoods within the same city can vary greatly, definitely do your leg work on this.

The Bay Area has a lot of safe neighborhoods and good schools, but rentals are limited and competition is high. Good luck, and if your hus decideds to take the job: welcome to the the Bay!

Old 05-20-2012, 11:42 AM

157 posts, read 218,737 times
There are options... Look at Pacifica, a very dog-friendly community right on the coast. The public elementary school in the Vallemar district is excellent, and housing is relatively affordable. Don't worry about the fog -- it isn't as bad in some parts of Pacifica than it is in the Sunset or Daly City.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornblitz View Post
There are options... Look at Pacifica, a very dog-friendly community right on the coast. The public elementary school in the Vallemar district is excellent, and housing is relatively affordable. Don't worry about the fog -- it isn't as bad in some parts of Pacifica than it is in the Sunset or Daly City.
Thanks for this tip!

I am definitely willing to deal with fog for a decent place that will allow pets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland