Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:43 PM

14 posts, read 50,871 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to San Francisco with our 4 yr old and would like a gay and family oriented neighbor. We are looking to rent and then once there purchase within the first 2 years. Need good schools. Any suggestions as to which neighbor would fit best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 09:09 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,085,592 times
California School Performance Maps

Schools in the city of San Francisco generally suck compared with suburban school districts. We'd need to know your budget, where you need to commute to and how long you want your commute to be, what kind of city you want to live in, etc. Albany or Alameda could be good choices if you can afford them and you only need to commute to downtown SF.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
California School Performance Maps

Schools in the city of San Francisco generally suck compared with suburban school districts. We'd need to know your budget, where you need to commute to and how long you want your commute to be, what kind of city you want to live in, etc. Albany or Alameda could be good choices if you can afford them and you only need to commute to downtown SF.
I just started my search and have no idea about te city. My lady will be finishing her nursing program and will be searching for nursing jobs in SanFran areas. Our budget would prob be about $2500 rent and to purchase would be $275k max.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:34 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,853,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manilie View Post
We are looking to move to San Francisco with our 4 yr old and would like a gay and family oriented neighbor. We are looking to rent and then once there purchase within the first 2 years. Need good schools. Any suggestions as to which neighbor would fit best?
Neighbor or neighborhood?

Old 05-29-2012, 10:52 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,752,998 times
Do you mean the city or to the Bay Area in general? Bernal Heights is, I believe, well known for its lesbian couples with kids, but be warned that these days the rental market is absolutely crazy in SF. Plus, rental prices are skyrocketing, and that purchase price won't get you anywhere.

The East Bay has a bunch of good options. I don't know the Oakland neighborhoods very well, but there are some very good schools and some very troubled schools, but I wouldn't totally dismiss it. Berkeley and Albany get suggested all the time, too. We're in Alameda and I HIGHLY recommend it; I think you'll have a tough time buying (although maybe a condo could be found at that price) but you'll have no trouble finding some decent rental options for your budget. It's very family-friendly, has a ton of families who moved here from SF, and (based on casual observation from our time here so far, which admittedly hasn't been all that long) seems to be filled with lesbians with kids. It's like Northampton West. I've actually met a lot more lesbian parents here than I did in our old SF neighborhood. Lots of people move here because it's more affordable, very family-friendly, and has good schools. (SF has some good public schools, too, but the lottery system, although recently revamped, means there are no guarantees that your kid will get into a good school, or even necessarily in a school in your own neighborhood. The application process is a major nightmare, and has, I'm sure, contributed to many families tossing up their hands in frustration and moving.) You could easily rent something much cheaper than $2500/month in Alameda and save your extra money for when you buy. $275k isn't going to get you far in the Bay Area, especially if you want to be in an area with decent schools. But FWIW, $2500 was our rental max, and we're paying WELL under that here in Alameda.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:54 PM

802 posts, read 2,266,153 times
You won't find much in San Francisco proper for that budget. Only places to purchase for $275K are either in really, really bad neighborhoods or are studio apartments (if you can even find one for that price).

Old 05-30-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Do you mean the city or to the Bay Area in general? Bernal Heights is, I believe, well known for its lesbian couples with kids, but be warned that these days the rental market is absolutely crazy in SF. Plus, rental prices are skyrocketing, and that purchase price won't get you anywhere.

The East Bay has a bunch of good options. I don't know the Oakland neighborhoods very well, but there are some very good schools and some very troubled schools, but I wouldn't totally dismiss it. Berkeley and Albany get suggested all the time, too. We're in Alameda and I HIGHLY recommend it; I think you'll have a tough time buying (although maybe a condo could be found at that price) but you'll have no trouble finding some decent rental options for your budget. It's very family-friendly, has a ton of families who moved here from SF, and (based on casual observation from our time here so far, which admittedly hasn't been all that long) seems to be filled with lesbians with kids. It's like Northampton West. I've actually met a lot more lesbian parents here than I did in our old SF neighborhood. Lots of people move here because it's more affordable, very family-friendly, and has good schools. (SF has some good public schools, too, but the lottery system, although recently revamped, means there are no guarantees that your kid will get into a good school, or even necessarily in a school in your own neighborhood. The application process is a major nightmare, and has, I'm sure, contributed to many families tossing up their hands in frustration and moving.) You could easily rent something much cheaper than $2500/month in Alameda and save your extra money for when you buy. $275k isn't going to get you far in the Bay Area, especially if you want to be in an area with decent schools. But FWIW, $2500 was our rental max, and we're paying WELL under that here in Alameda.
Thank you uptown urbanist. Good insight. Will look into these areas.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:25 AM

291 posts, read 958,684 times
North Berkeley or Albany will probably be your best bet. The area is family oriented and diverse. I think you will enjoy living there. Go check it out!

Old 05-30-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSunset View Post
North Berkeley or Albany will probably be your best bet. The area is family oriented and diverse. I think you will enjoy living there. Go check it out!
Orangesunset: thank you for the tip. I will research North Berkeley and Albany

Old 05-30-2012, 01:08 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,666,790 times
Truely your lifestyle isn't going to be a problem most places you go in the bay area people are pretty liberal here. your 275k isn't going to go far the city of San Francisco you are looking at a small condo in not very good area. If you want to drive across the bridge you could probably get a house in the east bay for 275k. But the further you get away from San Francisco and Silicon valley the more your money can buy and in better suburbs. Your 275k budget is kinda low for the bay area unless you head to the east bay. In Hayward and Oakland you could get a single family home for 275k but the neighborhoods would not be that great. Otherwise you are looking at condos and townhomes. But the commute can really suck but as a new hire you would probably be looking at nightshifts without the traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland