Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 03:16 AM

13 posts, read 15,893 times

Advertisements

How do people like Chico's weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 05:30 PM

83 posts, read 149,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerwald View Post
How do people like Chico's weather?
Chico's not Bay Area, but for what it's worth, the weather's pretty mild most of the year. The summer months can see triple digits pretty regularly and it's a dry heat. So if you're not accustomed to hot weather and/or you don't have air conditioning in your home and car that could be a problem. Other than that Chico weather is usually gorgeous, and we're ranked for one of the cities in the US with the most sunny days per year.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:23 PM

732 posts, read 968,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTravelingYogi View Post
So I grew up in Woodside, CA. I went to Kings Mountain elementary school, Cunha middle school (Half Moon Bay) and both Half Moon Bay High and Aragon High school (San Mateo). All the while living in the same house in Woodside.

I grew up always hearing from teachers and all sorts of people that we have the best weather in the world.

I never, ever got this. I was always freezing. I think it is way too cold in the Bay Area. Way too cold. Why do so many people think we have this great wether? I never understood this.

I live in San Juan, Puerto Rico now and the weather here is awesome. We are about to go into the humid season which will last 3 months but the other 9 are gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous.

I miss a lot of things about San Francisco but the weather is NOT one of them.

Is it that so many people come from places with really terrible weather that they think the Bay Area wether is that great?
I believe so, but different areas of the SF Bay Area have different weather due to the micro climates. It's why I wouldn't lump all of the Bay Area's weather together.

You can tell what kind of weather people are originally used to when you see some people wearing coats while others are in shorts & t-shirts. It's kind of funny to see such a diversity of seasonal clothing at the same time.

Being born & raised here in SF, I feel miserable in places where it gets into the 80s & higher for long periods of time. Even though Oakland is just across the bay bridge, Oakland gets too hot for me in the summer.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:29 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Dallas is possibly the city with the worst weather in the continental US, seriously, like I said in my previous post, no weather is bad if you like it, but Dallas possibly challenges any taste. Hot and humid in the summer, tend to get a lot of freezing rain in the winter, stormy spring with a lot of potential tornado activity, and they are not completely shielded from hurricanes either.
Obviously you never lived there. Except 2 months in summer Dallas has very pleasant weather. The winter is short with only few weeks of really cold weather. Most winter days are sunny in the 70s during day. You get rainstorms throughout the year and a lot in spring which usually lasts for couple of hours or less (unlike the nagging week and sometimes month long drizzly cold weather you get in bay area during winter), pours heavily, creates beautiful sky color and goes away while cooling things down. There is nothing more romantic than getting soaked in rain on a hot day. It's almost always warm in the evening to enjoy the outdoors in shorts and t-shirts. On summer evenings everyone can chill in the pool and yes even the poorest of poor in TX live in apartments with A/C and swimming pool. Dallas area has lots of gigantic lakes with water sport and beach to enjoy and cool down on a hot day. Also unlike the CA desert full of hills with brown grass, Dallas has trees and a shade of tree is naturally cooling and pleasant. Also the warm weather makes southern women look beautiful with a youthful glow on the skin and they look far more attractive than the over-caffienated, northface-clad, depressed-looking women you see all over SF!

Bay area has good weather in daytime when you are stuck in office during work hours and it's always unpleasantly chilly in the evening everywhere. So unless you are bum hanging outdoor all day long the good weather doesn't mean much for people working indoors in their office! Going to the beach in northern CA is a waste of time unless your definition of fun is staring at a cold, foggy ocean wearing jackets and boots. If the weather on the beach is good on rare days then you will spend 80% of the day stuck in traffic and looking for parking and then the other 20% fighting with other people on the beach for space. For a popular beach like Stinson beach you might not be able to make it there if the weather is nice and just sit in traffic all day. CA weather is very boring and irritating...there is nothing wrong with rainstorm, snow, fall colors, leaves falling in winter and the becoming bright green in spring!

Lastly you do know that parts of US are more modern than the third world banana republic of CA and they have built infrastructure to deal with hot and cold weather. Everything indoor in TX is climate controlled, even lower income people have nicer cars with functional A/C and almost everyone have either free access to a swimming pool or have one in the house! So while million $ homeowners in coastal CA might die of heat stroke if the temp is unusually high, no one in TX will succumb this fate because they have figured out a way to use technology to enhance human comfort and safety

Old 06-25-2014, 12:06 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Dallas is possibly the city with the worst weather in the continental US, seriously, like I said in my previous post, no weather is bad if you like it, but Dallas possibly challenges any taste. Hot and humid in the summer, tend to get a lot of freezing rain in the winter, stormy spring with a lot of potential tornado activity, and they are not completely shielded from hurricanes either.
Yes, Dallas weather is the worst--slightly worse than Houston--both duke it out for the World Cup of Weather Suck.

In one year of living in Dallas, I witnessed a dry, 109-degree air temperature (not heat index) that made me feel light headed just driving with my top down.

It was often in the high 90s and humid even late at night ( 2:00 am).

Fires popped up spontaneously on the side of the freeway all summer long. There were three separate incidents of hail storms that summer, with hail large enough to damage cars.

I was caught on an overpass once as a tornado passed over my car. It felt as if it lifted a few inches, but the storm blew through.

It rained mud a couple of times--seriously, mud raining from the sky, due to a dust storm west of Ft. Worth mixing with rain clouds.

There was a plague of crickets where, at the gas station or downtown, it was like stepping on eggshells with crunching insects under foot everywhere I went.

There was also an ice storm that same winter, with a 1/2" sheet of ice on roadways, crashed cars everywhere, downed power lines and freezing temperatures.

The pollution was terrible. The heat was un bearable. The 12-month range went from 20 degrees to 100+ degrees. The ballpark was evacuated for a storm, cars were dented by golfball-sized hail, there was massive drought, and the wind blew hot for months on end.

As I was finally leaving, a tornado ripped through downtown Ft. Worth and destroyed many high rise buildings.

I likened Dallas weather to witnessing the seven signs of the apocalypse. The above all happened within one 12-month period! You are correct. It is the worst in America.

Be thankful you are in the weather paradise that is the Bay Area.

Last edited by dalparadise; 06-25-2014 at 12:15 AM..

Old 06-25-2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Yes, Dallas weather is the worst--slightly worse than Houston--both duke it out for the World Cup of Weather Suck.

In one year of living in Dallas, I witnessed a dry, 109-degree air temperature (not heat index) that made me feel light headed just driving with my top down.

Fires popped up spontaneously on the side of the freeway all summer long. There were three separate incidents of hail storms that summer, with hail large enough to damage cars.

I was caught on an overpass once as a tornado passed over my car. It felt as if it lifted a few inches, but the storm blew through.

It rained mud a couple of times--seriously, mud raining from the sky, due to a dust storm west of Ft. Worth mixing with rain clouds.

There was a plague of crickets where, at the gas station or downtown, it was like stepping on eggshells with crunching insects under foot everywhere I went.

There was also an ice storm that same winter, with a 1/2" sheet of ice on roadways, crashed cars everywhere, downed power lines and freezing temperatures.

The pollution was terrible. The heat was un bearable. The 12-month range went from 20 degrees to 100+ degrees. The ballpark was evacuated for a storm, cars were dented by golfball-sized hail, there was massive drought, and the wind blew hot for months on end.

As I was finally leaving, a tornado ripped through downtown Ft. Worth and destroyed many high rise buildings.

I likened Dallas weather to witnessing the seven signs of the apocalypse. The above all happened within one 12-month period! You are correct. It is the worst in America.
I would think that's pretty exciting! Now enjoy your boring fog and the all year sweatshirt and hoodie!

Old 06-25-2014, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post

Be thankful you are in the weather paradise that is the Bay Area.
You shouldn't talk about brush fires or drought or pollution when you live in CA. In all of environmental risks CA is the worst state in the US. Not to mention the significant threat of major earthquakes.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:52 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
You shouldn't talk about brush fires or drought or pollution when you live in CA. In all of environmental risks CA is the worst state in the US. Not to mention the significant threat of major earthquakes.
Our topic is Bay Area weather. The air here is clear. The temperature is pleasant. The rainfall is slight, as this is a Mediterranean climate, but predictable. The drinking water that flows from my tap is snow melt from a national park. And there hasn't been a major earthquake since 1989.

Roughly 8 months of Spring, 3 months of Fall, peppered with 1 month of Summer? Yeah, I'll take it.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:06 AM

139 posts, read 328,305 times
OK I am back in the Bay Area and LOVING this summer. This is the best summer weather I can ever recall. Oh this is so awesome. Living in Palo Alto not and it has not gone below 75 in more than 2 months. It has been in the 80s most days. I love it. I wish it could stay this temp year round, with rain of course.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:25 PM

213 posts, read 252,592 times
Hilarious thread. There is a reason why Newsweek called Oakland "The best climate in the world." 99.999% of people would kill to have Mediterranean weather like the San Francisco Bay Area.

Seriously, that's one of the biggest reasons why cost of living is so high here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland