Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2007, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 12,706 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to San Fran and looking forward to it! We both have been there on vacation and loved it. I currently work in the telecommunication field (American Tower Corp) and I was wondering how the job market is there?
Also, the high cost of living has me a little nervous. We are looking to buy within 6 months... we are going to rent until we get a feel of the area. Do you have any suggestions on neighborhoods that are safe, good location and not unreasonably price for a condo / home buying? Boston is not inexpensive, so I'm used to higher cost of living. Any insight will be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 07:35 PM

4 posts, read 12,269 times
Default San Francisco Move

As far as the rents, they are comparable to the rents in Boston, but it is much harder to find a decent place there, as there just isn't as much to go around. The only good places I ever found were through friends, friends of friends, someone died, that sort of thing. "Condos" don't really exist, unless you go outside the city itself, you will most likely have to get into a partial Victorian if you want something nice. There are some newer, high-rise buildings along the Embarcadero, but I've been inside and they are crap. As far as neighborhoods, where you might like to live would depend on the kind of people you are, what you like to do, the kind of places you like to go, etc. They all have their own kind of community and character about them. Just explore, and see where you feel you are a "fit." You will find the city to be a vastly different experience from the Boston one -- I know because I moved from there to Boston (and cannot wait to go back!) Good Luck!
PS One little tip...don't call it San Fran or Frisco, it akin to saying you hate the Red Sox

Old 09-27-2007, 02:29 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Like the above post said, San Francisco has a ton of neighborhoods, each with their own distinct personality... and I also agree about condos being rare, since the city is mostly row-houses & Victorians. Outside of the financial district, you don't see many high-rises here, mostly due to earthquake dangers. But anyway, there are plenty of homes available to buy - at a hefty cost, of course. The prices for a typical SF home (2-3 bedroom) can range anywhere from $650K-$1M and up, depending on the quality & location. We also pay a lot for views here, so double the price if you can see water or a bridge!

Without knowing your exact price range or preferences, I'd suggest looking into the following neighborhoods... Noe Valley, Inner Richmond, North Beach, Bernal Heights, Potrero Hill, Glen Park, and maybe SoMa. These are all nice neighborhoods, but not THE most expensive ones (which would include Nob Hill, Twin Peaks, Presidio, etc). But it all depends on what exactly you like... for instance, do you want to be near public transportation and/or downtown? Do you like a more quiet area, or something "bustling?" And what kind of activities do you enjoy? Also, if you have (or plan to have) children, that can make a difference in what I'd suggest.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:55 PM

9 posts, read 25,975 times
Only one suggestion: lose the San Fran moniker

SF, the city etc are all acceptable alternatives

Old 09-28-2007, 08:41 AM

36 posts, read 169,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonadegirl View Post
There are some newer, high-rise buildings along the Embarcadero, but I've been inside and they are crap.
What is wrong with them? I was planning on looking in South Beach and vicinity and I'd like to know what to avoid.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:39 AM

146 posts, read 643,666 times
I wouldn't say the new condos on Embarcadero are crap; they're pretty nice actually.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:36 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscore View Post
I wouldn't say the new condos on Embarcadero are crap; they're pretty nice actually.
I haven't actually been inside them, but they certainly look nice from the outside - especially the ones near AT&T Park, which I believe is now called the "Mission Bay" district. My sister's friend bought a place there, and she's a fairly successful doctor (who grew up in serious luxury)... so I doubt she'd buy crap!

Old 09-30-2007, 11:40 AM

46 posts, read 143,376 times
Hi Jennifer,

I am also a native of Boston and now live in the East Bay. I love it and there are actually many similarities to the Boston area. If you are thinking about living outside of SF, there are some great neighborhoods in Oakland and Berkeley. Redwood Heights, Montclair, and Crocker Highlands just to name a few.

By the way, I also used to refer to SF as San Fran. My husband, a native of Oakland, broke me of the habit, but I don't know what's wrong with saying that. I think it sounds endearing.

Mary
Alain Pinel Realtors

Old 09-25-2010, 11:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,007 times
Boston and the people are infinitely better..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland