Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 04:06 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

Looks much more livable than I thought it would---was expecting to see a blank white minimalist space so it was a pleasant surprise, but I couldnt possibly live in a space that small and maintain the lifestyle that I am accustomed to.

But then, to each his own. I dont see why having this as an option should be opposed when it is environmentally better than how people like me live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 04:07 PM

749 posts, read 838,829 times
$900 for that? Assuming it won't even have so much as a kitchenette, you'll spend near the rent in eating out.

Good luck parking cheaply if you have a car.

Yeah, sounds like a real bargain. SF'ers will fall for it thought.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:14 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
I kind of like it, seems very functional. It seems to have most of what you need in a kitchen to make meals; there was the 2-burner hot plate, small fridge, microwave, and convection oven. If it was $500-600/month in SF I would consider living in it by myself.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:48 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
anybody choosing a studio surely doesn't have the money to eat OUT!
I eat out plenty, and could afford to live in a different place, but:
a. I don't feel like moving unless I am buying something
b. I don't want to spend a larger percentage of my income on rent (currently it is about 18% of my take-home pay)
c. I don't want to buy loads of furniture that wouldn't be flexible/functional when I want to move
d. I don't need additional space (I could use a bit more storage, but that is true of any place)
e. I haven't seen a rental that is worth the effort of moving for

So there you go, I am living in a studio on purpose. And I have seen plenty of apartments that have pretty much the same amount of usable space as I have now.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:54 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,010,335 times
There you go. If I choose to live in a studio. It will be the same mindset.

I almost always eat out, but I used to live with too roommates in a 3 bedroom townhouse. Not that I can't afford anything better, but at that time that was all the space I needed and I want to save up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I eat out plenty, and could afford to live in a different place, but:
a. I don't feel like moving unless I am buying something
b. I don't want to spend a larger percentage of my income on rent (currently it is about 18% of my take-home pay)
c. I don't want to buy loads of furniture that wouldn't be flexible/functional when I want to move
d. I don't need additional space (I could use a bit more storage, but that is true of any place)
e. I haven't seen a rental that is worth the effort of moving for

So there you go, I am living in a studio on purpose. And I have seen plenty of apartments that have pretty much the same amount of usable space as I have now.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:55 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I kind of like it, seems very functional. It seems to have most of what you need in a kitchen to make meals; there was the 2-burner hot plate, small fridge, microwave, and convection oven. If it was $500-600/month in SF I would consider living in it by myself.
To me, that's the most important point. After reading about it, and watching the video of them showing off the model unit, I actually liked it and the concept. I especially like how efficient and sustainable this kind of construction could be. However, starting at $900, I'm having a hard time getting excited about this. Only a few years ago, $900 would have gotten you a decent studio in almost all of SF. And now this is what you get for the same amount?...and I doubt these things won't go up in price. I guess it's part of the new reality of SF.

But, let's get real here: these kind of developments are fueled more by a desire for developers to get a higher return on investment than on the general idea of providing housing to bring down prices across the board in SF. I understand developers want the biggest return on investment that they can't get (goes without saying), but I think it's a little disingenuous to flaunt this as some kind of all-mighty smart development solution for high prices in SF. Don't hide behind that, just say what it really is: a desire to make more money on the same amount of land.

$500-$600 a month? OK, that seems reasonable. Close to $1,000 a month? Asinine. But, considering what people are paying for these days in SF, there will people lining up for these units, I'm sure.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
To me, that's the most important point. After reading about it, and watching the video of them showing off the model unit, I actually liked it and the concept. I especially like how efficient and sustainable this kind of construction could be. However, starting at $900, I'm having a hard time getting excited about this. Only a few years ago, $900 would have gotten you a decent studio in almost all of SF. And now this is what you get for the same amount?...and I doubt these things won't go up in price. I guess it's part of the new reality of SF.

But, let's get real here: these kind of developments are fueled more by a desire for developers to get a higher return on investment than on the general idea of providing housing to bring down prices across the board in SF. I understand developers want the biggest return on investment that they can't get (goes without saying), but I think it's a little disingenuous to flaunt this as some kind of all-mighty smart development solution for high prices in SF. Don't hide behind that, just say what it really is: a desire to make more money on the same amount of land.

$500-$600 a month? OK, that seems reasonable. Close to $1,000 a month? Asinine. But, considering what people are paying for these days in SF, there will people lining up for these units, I'm sure.
At $900 a month....... well it better be in the best possible location. But frankly, I'd take my chances in other parts of the bay. At $700, when I just finished college, in the right neighborhood? I would have totally moved in there.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:27 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,784 times
What gets me about this proposal, is that (according to the article) the developers want to build these 12x12 apartments in "new high-rises." WHAT new high-rises? If developers built new high-rises here, there wouldn't be so much of a housing crunch! Oh, I suppose it wasn't going to be profitable enough with full size studio apartments? Please.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:14 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
It seems very....Japanese. That's not a bad thing, if one can tolerate it, and as 18 stated it's very environmentally sound.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:57 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I see this as temp housing. A place for people to land when the move to SF or for the right out of college crowd. Even a vacation rental?

It is the dorm concept so it's nothing new. NY is considering something similar but at 300sq ft, which is much more practical for most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland