Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 03:43 PM

197 posts, read 669,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamulv View Post
I am currently interviewing with the big 4 accounting firms. Was trying to choose whether to go to San Fran or Phoenix. What are the sizes of the offices there? What are the perks/negatives of each area or offices? I have never lived on the west coast and would love some input! I am in audit and am definitely going big 4.
You are asking us what the size of the offices are? That should probably be something you ask the company before you make a decision. If they want you to choose, you should try to pick their brain a bit about the differences work-wise. We can mainly offer you the differences in day to day life not at work.

That being said, I'd assume SF has a larger office with more companies with a focus on financial and tech companies. Not sure about Phoenix - maybe a variety of industries?

You will need to think about your career path as well. Do you want to move up within the Big 4 (keep in mind only a few move to the upper levels at the Big 4), or eventually work for a smaller firm or go to private industry? If private industry, any particular sector? As someone in another post said, be prepared to work a ton of hours at the Big 4 regardless of which location you choose. I'm in the accounting/auditing industry (never worked at the Big 4) and people I know that have worked at the Big 4 have told me all about the long hours (especially during busy season(s)). That being said, having some Big 4 experience on your resume can make you very marketable.

I'm guessing SF has more career opportunities overall but this is reflected in the high cost of living. As the others have said, Phoenix is much cheaper but the heat can be brutal for several months out of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 03:58 PM

570 posts, read 1,733,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
You stay at home all day? Where do you get that from? Tons of outdoor activities in Phoenix. Scottsdale has great nightlife (IMO a lot better than SF). There are a fair number of good restaurant choices as well. Maybe not on par with SF, but making it sound like Phoenix has nothing to do is ridiculous.
your are right Scottsdale is good. probably better than SF. But i'm compare Phoenix and SF, not Scottsdale and SF.

Scottsdale to Phoenix is very far, like 3hours.

This is like saying Sacramento is great because SF has alot of stuffs too. Sacramento to SF is like 1.5hours.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:59 PM

6,421 posts, read 8,314,302 times
I dunno. The fact that the OP doesn't know the difference between SF and Phoenix leads me to believe a vibrant, city lifestyle isn't at the top of the list...

Quote:
Scottsdale to Phoenix is very far like 3hours.
wat?

Old 08-16-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I dunno. The fact that the OP is comparing places like SF and Phoenix leads me to believe a vibrant, city lifestyle isn't at the top of the list...

wat?

ok, maybe i'm wrong, maybe like 30mins, but still different city.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:03 PM

6,421 posts, read 8,314,302 times
Have you ever even been to Phoenix?

Old 08-16-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Have you ever even been to Phoenix?
i have been there few time. I can say is hot. I didn't want to do anything. I just want to stay in door for AC.
SF rate one of the Livable cities in the world.
http://abid-ismail.blogspot.com/2012...ndex-2012.html

Last edited by spotlesseden; 08-16-2012 at 04:15 PM..

Old 08-16-2012, 04:07 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,794,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
Scottsdale to Phoenix is very far, like 3hours.
Yeah maybe if you WALKED from Downtown Scottsdale to Downtown Phoenix. Otherwise it's like a 15-20 min drive.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yeah maybe if you WALKED from Downtown Scottsdale to Downtown Phoenix. Otherwise it's like a 15-20 min drive.
i don't I remember, It took us like 30mins+

Old 08-16-2012, 04:16 PM

4,350 posts, read 6,328,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Or less, depending upon the part of Phoenix you're talking about. Maybe from one downtown to another. Phoenix is configured differently than SF. In the Bay Area, SF is the happening center, whereas in the Phoenix area, its Scottsdale and to a lesser extent, Tempe (for the college crowd). If you're comparing downtown SF to downtown Phoenix, you're missing the bigger picture on the Phoenix layout.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Or less, depending upon the part of Phoenix you're talking about. Maybe from one downtown to another. Phoenix is configured differently than SF. In the Bay Area, SF is the happening center, whereas in the Phoenix area, its Scottsdale and to a lesser extent, Tempe (for the college crowd). If you're comparing downtown SF to downtown Phoenix, you're missing the bigger picture on the Phoenix layout.
of couese you compare Downtown SF to Downtown Phoenix. Otherwise is not apple to apple comparison.

If you add towns like Tempe then SF also is a college town too.
Berkeley, Stanford have better college too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland