Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 12:41 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,810,170 times

Advertisements

Ok..so Im in Charlotte, NC and I just had lunch with a colleague of mine who happens to be from San Francisco....born and bred. He has since relocated to the Tampa, FL area, but comes back to visit from time to time. Well any way, I tell how Im interested in relocating out west and how I thought about considering CA or AZ. He tells me to consider AZ but to reconsider CA....I guess im just dumbfounded because everyone that I know here in Charlotte or the east coast for that matter seems to think CA/west coast in the place to be, while he was telling me in his opinion.the east coast is the better coast....I guess its just personal preference....I guess. My feelings toward CA is, why do native californians leave....I mean you don't know how good you have it....Great weather, palm trees, culture,plethora of things to do. Personally I wouldnt give that up for nobody...LIke I said, i guess its just your personal preference.

Last edited by westcoastbabe; 08-23-2012 at 12:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 12:43 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,506,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Ok..so Im in Charlotte, NC and I just had lunch with a colleague of mine who happens to be from San Francisco....born and bred. He has since relocated to the Tampa, FL area, but comes back to visit from time to time. Well any way, I tell how Im interested in relocating out west and how I thought about considering CA or AZ. He tells me to consider AZ but to reconsider CA....I guess im just dumbfounded because everyone that I know here in Charlotte or the east coast for that matter seems to think CA/west coast in the place to be, while he was telling me in his opinion.the east coast is the better coast....I guess its just personal preference....I guess. My feelings toward CA is, why do native californians leave....I mean you know how good you have it....Great weather, palm trees, culture,plethora of things to do. Personally I would give that up for nobody...LIke I said, i guess its just your personal preference.
Two words: Lousy governance.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:59 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,170,260 times
Tampa, FL has a 31% child poverty rate.. hard for me to understand his perspective if Florida is his picture of perfection. It's a beautiful place with much worse "everyday" issues than in California, where the biggest problem is that some people make too much money.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:40 PM

35 posts, read 151,647 times
And he's from the city of San Francisco itself? It's unusual a native would prefer Tampa but anything's possible. If he's from the Bay Area generally it's not as surprising.

It sounds like you have an unrealistic vision of San Francisco if the first thing that pops into your head is palm trees.

One reason not to like San Francisco is the cost.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:07 PM

629 posts, read 620,496 times
Government and the anti-business environment. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to take running a business here. Great place to live, the worst place in the country to own a small business.

Oh, and liberalism is killing me.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:10 PM

23,575 posts, read 24,102,669 times
1/ High cost of living
2/ Poor business climate
3/ Poor taxation policies
4/ Crime
5/ Can be crowded
6/ Homeless population

Old 08-23-2012, 08:18 PM

13,817 posts, read 8,046,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJudah View Post
...One reason not to like San Francisco is the cost.

30 years ago I lived in a small apartment not far from Tarvel and 19th for $350 a month. I was also earning $12.50 an hour working temp downtown. Homes were in the $200,000 range and a two flat went for under $500,000.

Now my old apartment is about $2000.

Similar office work I did back in the early 1980's is still around $12.00 an hour.

Homes in the Sunset are going for at least $700,000.

Either you're a hot shot in the high tech/business world, work for the City or life can be quite demanding.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:23 PM

30,904 posts, read 36,998,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Tampa, FL has a 31% child poverty rate.. hard for me to understand his perspective if Florida is his picture of perfection. It's a beautiful place with much worse "everyday" issues than in California, where the biggest problem is that some people make too much money.
If you adjusted for CA's higher cost of living our child poverty rate would probably be around the same.

As of 2010, California's was 23.2%, but that is not adjusted for our higher cost of living.

Child Poverty in California (PPIC Publication)

Old 08-23-2012, 08:25 PM

30,904 posts, read 36,998,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
30 years ago I lived in a small apartment not far from Tarvel and 19th for $350 a month. I was also earning $12.50 an hour working temp downtown. Homes were in the $200,000 range and a two flat went for under $500,000.

Now my old apartment is about $2000.

Similar office work I did back in the early 1980's is still around $12.00 an hour.

Homes in the Sunset are going for at least $700,000.

Either you're a hot shot in the high tech/business world, work for the City or life can be quite demanding.
^^^This pretty much sums it up for most of the popular parts of California.

I have a public sector job. If I lose it, I'm outta here. There's no chance I'll get an equivalent paying job with the same benefits in the private sector.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:26 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,070,841 times
I disagree 200% with the OP's friend. I lived 12 years in the San Francisco area, but not in SF. I was in Silicon Valley. I now live in Raleigh, NC and have been here for 3 years. It's OK but I am ready and eager to move back to California.

You couldn't get me to move to AZ even if my life depended on it. It's hot, desert, and extremely conservative. The folks in Arizona won't be happy until all Latinos (not just illegals) are shipped out of state. California may not be perfect but we're more accepting of diversity than Arizona is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland