Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 04:10 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times

Advertisements

He also said "those people" too, but who's paying attention.

What's up San Fran? I thought you guys were "peace, love, and cupcakes".

San Francisco Travelodge Employee Accused Of Not Taking Black Musicians' Credit Cards
Quote:
A local venue owner says that last night a manager at the San Francisco Travelodge on Market Street refused to accept the credit cards of three members of the Meters Experience -- because they were black.

Jason Perkins, who operates the New Parish in Oakland and S.F.'s Brick and Mortar Music Hall, says the manager of the hotel at 1707 Market insisted that original Meters guitarist Leo Nocentelli leave a cash deposit, saying "he doesn't take black people's credit cards anymore."

"Your manager refused to accept a credit card from a famous artist, Leo Nocentelli of the Meters, saying your policy is not to accept credit cards from black people," Perkins wrote in an e-mail to a Travelodge manager that was cc'd to SF Weekly. "This person is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and you treated him so terribly I am still shaking."

Here's what Perkins told his friend, David Pescovitz, who's an editor and partner at BoingBoing:

I bought 4 rooms for the band and prepaid for them on debit card. After sound check, Leo and the band went to the hotel and tried to check in. The manager refused to accept 3 of 4 members credit cards for incidentals (4th member is Rich Vogel/white dude). Leo called me and (my family and I) drove to the hotel at 7:30 pm. I asked what the hell and manager pointed at 3 members and said he wouldn't accept credit cards and "those people" need to pay cash deposit. When I asked what did he mean by "those people" -- he pointed at Leo and said "black people."

I felt like I was hit in the face. It was stunning. I called the police and when they arrived, the police went through it with him and then he caught himself and said that they cannot check in any longer as he didn't feel "safe." He then refused to talk.

Our calls to the hotel and to Wyndham Hotel Group, Travelodge's parent company, have not been returned. However, the Examiner got through to one local representative:

[A] Travelodge Central manager who identified himself only as Michael W., claims hotel policy is to deny access to those whose credit cards reflect insufficient funds.

When asked if Mr. Nocentelli's credit card had been run through for a credit check, Mr. W. responded, "there are cameras in the hotel." Mr. W. then stated he was being harassed and hung up the phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 04:34 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
I'm guessing he's a foreigner.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:42 PM

115 posts, read 364,467 times
It doesn't matter the city/state.. Racism against Blacks is alive and well.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:51 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevionisDream View Post
You mean "those people".

I'm really, really surprised that THIS type of info is coming out of the SECOND "brotherly love" city in the country.

Not cool. Y'all better school Mr. Foreigner on how we do things HERE.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:59 PM

622 posts, read 1,146,570 times
I'm black and I'm not surprised. I'm just glad it's getting some publicity.

To be honest, when I lived abroad there was racism there, but it's much more painful to deal with when it happens in your own country and, unfortunately, it happens too often.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:21 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevionisDream View Post
Oh yes, it is. I've said it many times on this board and have put down, etc for it. I'm a black man, married to a blonde haired, blue eyed woman. When this issue has come up in the past and I have talked about my experiences, I have been called a liar, et al.

The SF Bay Area is NO cornicopia of racial tolerance; although it pretends to be. There is racism in this area; maybe not like in some areas of the south, however, stone cold, nasty racism. But watch the people come out of the woodwork, defending this disgusting area of the state, saying it isn't true. Yet, issue, after issue, after issue, continues to come forward.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:27 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times
What's the problem? Those black guys will become multimillionaires from this. Could be the best thing that ever happened in their entire lives.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:29 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,871,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
What's the problem? Those black guys will become multimillionaires from this. Could be the best thing that ever happened in their entire lives.
They've got 19 albums out, and are considered "pioneers" of funk music... I think they're doing okay. Being inducted into the rock hall of fame was probably a better candidate for "best thing that's ever happened to them!"

Old 10-21-2012, 06:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
They've got 19 albums out, and are considered "pioneers" of funk music... I think they're doing okay. Being inducted into the rock hall of fame was probably a better candidate for "best thing that's ever happened to them!"
The biggest surprise to me is that they would stay at the Travelodge.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:03 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,765,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Oh yes, it is. I've said it many times on this board and have put down, etc for it. I'm a black man, married to a blonde haired, blue eyed woman. When this issue has come up in the past and I have talked about my experiences, I have been called a liar, et al.

The SF Bay Area is NO cornicopia of racial tolerance; although it pretends to be. There is racism in this area; maybe not like in some areas of the south, however, stone cold, nasty racism. But watch the people come out of the woodwork, defending this disgusting area of the state, saying it isn't true. Yet, issue, after issue, after issue, continues to come forward.

And what part of the state are you from or familiar with where there's less racism? Please point me to it. I've spoken on the topic of Bay Area racism a lot on here, and not just about racism against blacks. The Bay Area and California in general have a very racist history dating back to the mid 1800's.

That being said, you sound like you had some unrealistic expectations about the Bay before you came here. Out of curiosity what part of the bay did/do you live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland