Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 01:29 PM

7 posts, read 6,873 times

Advertisements

thinking about moving from a dead beat town in PA. i have a blue collar job in construction. i dont have any ideal job criteria. i just want to find a dumb job that i can get by with. but more important is lifestyle. i am a 31 year old and want to be able to skateboard to the things i need like restaurants bars, shows and art. i want to sell my car when i get there. i mostly want to get out of here to enjoy my time on the earth more. also to check out state parks of the pacific northwest. i am worried also about meeting friends. am i crazy? or does this seem obtainable? any comment is appreciated. thanks!!! (i also am aware all these questions, and info about myself is general in nature)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 01:34 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
You have a bright future ahead of you .

Old 10-31-2012, 01:46 PM

thank you! that made me happy!

Old 10-31-2012, 02:25 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Try Venice Beach and the Santa Monica area in southern California. Warm winters and very laid back.
SOCAL SKATEPARKS .COM - Venice Beach Venice Skateboard Park Venice, CA Southern California Skateboard Parks Venice Skatepark

Old 10-31-2012, 03:44 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
I dunno. Those things sound like fun and all, but Oakland isn't exactly a cheap place to live these days.

To make it work out here, you'll need a bit more of a polished plan.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:47 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
Get an office job that pays $15 or more an hour and everything else will fall into place. But without a college degree you aren't finding white collar jobs easily. "Some dumb job" will probably be working in a restaurant or coffee shop and making $10 to $12 if you're lucky, and that's not enough to live on even in Oakland.

Maybe go to college and get a degree in accounting and become a CPA, something like that?

Old 11-01-2012, 07:48 PM

i dont care. im coming!i love living in poverty and dispare.thanks for all the comments.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:49 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
mod cut

Anyway, OP. You should probably take some classes at a JC while you're here. It's never to late to go back to school to get an education, and people tend to take it VERY seriously in the Bay Area. At around $40 a unit, classes are pretty cheap and you'll learn a lot. And not just book stuff. Real practical skills and trades (electrician, plumbing, etc).

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-02-2012 at 03:05 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you refer to has been deleted

Old 11-02-2012, 05:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyrats View Post
thinking about moving from a dead beat town in PA. i have a blue collar job in construction. i dont have any ideal job criteria. i just want to find a dumb job that i can get by with. but more important is lifestyle. i am a 31 year old and want to be able to skateboard to the things i need like restaurants bars, shows and art. i want to sell my car when i get there. i mostly want to get out of here to enjoy my time on the earth more. also to check out state parks of the pacific northwest. i am worried also about meeting friends. am i crazy? or does this seem obtainable? any comment is appreciated. thanks!!! (i also am aware all these questions, and info about myself is general in nature)
Yes, right now you are crazy, maybe if the housing market ever picks up it would be different. Have you spent much time in Oakland? There are some really cool things about it, but the cost of living is high, thus you might have to settle for living conditions that are not terribly safe for starters. The trendy areas, like you would be happy in do exist, the cost, might not work too well.

I just read your second comment: it always amazes me when people ask opinions and then pay absolutely no attention to the suggestions. Good Luck Jimmy, I hope you don't starve and will be happy as a street person cause that is pretty much what you will be.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:51 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,463,657 times
do you speak Spanish? that would help, seems like most of the construction guys & landscape workers are Spanish speaking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland