Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 12:56 AM

548 posts, read 891,176 times

Advertisements

I have seen a TV commercial for this school for a while and it offers a multimedia journalism program. I only have my high school diploma so I have gotten my fair share of various freelance writer/photographer jobs writing for numerous magazines, websites, and newspapers but the pay has been slim to nothing at times.

I would like to get paid higher and better earning 100-300 per story if not 20,000-40,000 a year. And I know I can't get a better job due to me not having a college degree in hand.

So would getting a degree from this school or even at all be worth it or no? I know my field of being a Music Journalist is very competitive so yeah haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 03:31 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
What a degree from there gonna cost when you factor in having to take out loans for tuition as well as for living expenses and the high cost of rent in the Bay Area? Like $100,000? You're not going to easily pay that back on 40k a year.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:33 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Yeah, it's an expensive school, and they're notorious for having graduates high in debt with a degree which isn't very marketable in the real world (unless you're one of the lucky ones).

Old 11-24-2012, 11:19 AM

548 posts, read 891,176 times
Oh I see.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:02 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,011,513 times
Art Academy is a front for a real estate company.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:42 PM

224 posts, read 454,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
What a degree from there gonna cost when you factor in having to take out loans for tuition as well as for living expenses and the high cost of rent in the Bay Area? Like $100,000? You're not going to easily pay that back on 40k a year.
100k? Really? That's almost as much as some business schools!

Old 11-24-2012, 06:05 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Choose a different career, then once you have a good job, come back to this as a second job. If you do well, you can quit your job and make this your new career.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:25 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,784 times
Regardless of degree, Journalism is pretty much dead as a livable source of income. Tooooo many people willing to do it for cheap or free.

Sorry.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:46 PM

34 posts, read 65,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
I have seen a TV commercial for this school for a while and it offers a multimedia journalism program. I only have my high school diploma so I have gotten my fair share of various freelance writer/photographer jobs writing for numerous magazines, websites, and newspapers but the pay has been slim to nothing at times.

I would like to get paid higher and better earning 100-300 per story if not 20,000-40,000 a year. And I know I can't get a better job due to me not having a college degree in hand.

So would getting a degree from this school or even at all be worth it or no? I know my field of being a Music Journalist is very competitive so yeah haha.
Forget the Academy of Art. It will be a waste of your time and money.

Stop watching TV also. Another waste of time.

And if you really think you've gotten your fair share of freelance jobs, I hope you're enjoying your retirement. Or your next career, which won't be in writing or photography. Since you've stated your "field... of being a music journalist is very competitive" you already know all those other writers and photographers are busy submitting stories and pictures. They are doing interviews, writing reviews and photographing talent. They are spending their time working to get material, and presenting it to an editor or publisher. There is no such thing as a fair share. You must always have more material or better material than the next writer or photographer, if you expect to make a living doing this.

If you want get paid more for writing, be a better writer. Take a couple of college-level English courses. This is not a criticism, it is a realization that to break the rules and write with your own voice you have to know the rules. An editor who can pay you more can tell when the mechanics are right in what you submit.

The same goes for your photographs. There are many workshops around the Bay Area with reasonable fees where you can learn how to build on the basics and become a better photographer. Versatility is the key; if you know how to get good shots under crappy conditions, how to make available light and obtuse angles work for you then you won't be as limited in your place in the crowd or caught flat-footed when you have that golden opportunity to capture a great shot.

Isebiel is right. There are too many people willing to do this for cheap or free. But there are still sites and publications that won't settle for whatever they can get. That sliver of a segment pays for material. If you are serious about doing this and aren't just chasing the money, get out there and produce better material.

If you want to work the business side of things, get a degree. If you want to walk the creative path, produce and submit better work than you did yesterday. That in itself is a full-time job.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:44 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,437,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
More like 200k. Same with Brooks in Santa Barbara.

If you're willing to get some instruction, there are much more reasonable programs out there. Or, you could join a photography club--there are a few very good one's in LA. You could also take workshops, Julia Dean offers some solid choices. If you want to move, I'd recommend an out of state program. There are several good one's. Attending photography classes at Santa Monica City College for 2 years, will give you a better foundation than one of these bogus Art Institutes. There are a few legit ones in SoCal with good reps--one is in Pasadena, the other is in Valencia. They would also be expensive--but at least they'd teach you something.

The same with writing. If you're uncomfortable with formal education, join a writer's group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland