Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 12:38 AM

470 posts, read 1,074,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlyoung123 View Post
I don't understand how water can be so expensive anywhere in California. Espely in the bay area. Were right next to the lake plus we also have the bay. Which looks clean and all. Lot cleaner than the Iowa river ever looked.
You have to become educated. It's very interesting!

Just Google it ... I'd copy/paste some great links, but I'm on the iPad and don't know how to do that. LOL

HUGz! Jules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 12:41 AM

179 posts, read 412,105 times
I can see how low rain can be a problem on the east side of the state. But were right next to one of the biggest lakes I have ever seen. Plus there's the bay. Can't they just pipe it from there? Instead of off the melting snow up in the mountens.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:50 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
In my Bay Area city the water usage is only one part of the "Water Bill"

Single family home, 330 gallons per day and the bill is $202.44 for 62 days and there is no elevation charge.

At one time, years ago, the water bill was almost insignificant... not so anymore.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:50 AM

470 posts, read 1,074,130 times
Quote:
I can see how low rain can be a problem on the east side of the state. But were right next to one of the biggest lakes I have ever seen. Plus there's the bay. Can't they just pipe it from there? Instead of off the melting snow up in the mountens.
I don't know bout the Bay area, but here in So Cal it all comes from the Colorado River, so tons of equations and expenses involved.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:22 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekkidFish View Post
I don't know bout the Bay area, but here in So Cal it all comes from the Colorado River, so tons of equations and expenses involved.
That would be news to the people of the Central Valley, Delta Region and Owens Valley/Eastern Sierra Nevadas. The sprawling LADWP takes water from both areas to provide it to people in southern CA.

Farmers and environmentalists (amongst others)in the Central Valley, Delta region andthe Eastern Sierra Nevadas/Owens Valley aren't really happy with the water being taken from them to go down to LA.

Mix in the endangered species act (delta smelt in the delta, etc.) and there's a massive juggling act trying to balance everyones needs.

I hope the residents in LA county are taking LADWP's water conservation efforts seriously.

Call Fresno the armpit and Bakersfield the crotch of CA, but if you like fresh fruits and vegetables chances are very good your eating produce from Fresno and Kern Counties.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/14/ma...pagewanted=all

Central Valley (California) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
The Central Valley is one of the world's most productive agricultural regions and is the largest patch of Class 1 soil in the world
Quote:
The top four counties in agricultural sales in the U.S. are in the Central Valley (2007 Data). They are Fresno County (#1 with $3.731 billion in sales), Tulare County (#2 with $3.335 billion), Kern County (#3 with $3.204), and Merced County (#4 with $2.330 billion.[2][27]
The Central Valley has their own issues with sources of water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Valley_Project

-----------
Sacramento

California Aqueduct - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Los Angeles Aqueduct - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Los Angeles Watersources

Sierra Wave: Eastern Sierra News

California Water Wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LADWP Asks Customers to Step Up Water Conservation Efforts as Summer Begins

And these are just related to California water issues. Mix in LA's issues with Colorado River and the water supply looks vulnerable in southern CA.

http://www.ehow.com/about_6320561_co...-problems.html

Some news on the desalination front.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/28/us...rdle.html?_r=0

http://www.dcbureau.org/20110303169/...alifornia.html

Frackers may play a role if any Colorado River water is bought or diverted to fracking concerns.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/06/us...pagewanted=all

Last edited by Senno; 12-17-2012 at 05:34 PM..

Old 12-18-2012, 05:22 AM

386 posts, read 797,624 times
We are also served by EBMUD and pay about $60-70 per month (they bill bi-monthly). Almost half the bill is for seismic improvements.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,150 times
Someone from LA not knowing that they basically steal water from Northern California? Amazing. No wonder they water their lawns daily to keep them green in the middle of a desert. (I lived there for a year on business travel so I know what I'm talking about). It's infuriating that someone who lives there doesn't know any of that. It's also infuriating that they are not forced to pay at least double what we have to pay in the Bay Area. Also to the twits that think we can pump water from the bay to make it cheaper....not true. Morton Salt has their plant right next to the bay. Why? Because they section off a large part of the shallow section of the bay (people have wanted to convert it back to wetlands for a long time) to create sea salt ponds. They isolate the water and then just let the sun do the rest of the work. Sound like good drinking water to you? To get fairly clean water (full of farming pesticides) you would need to go further up the delta.....which doesn't have enough water for farming needs as it is thanks to Southern California. Also, 1 more fun fact: Tree ring and other studies show that the last 200 years are the wettest on record and that we are headed back to the type of climate that drove Indian tribes to disappear for lack of water.....so get used to paying more......lots more for your stolen resources or better yet move out of the desert you dummies.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
I don't understand how water can be so expensive anywhere in California. Espely in the bay area. Were right next to the lake plus we also have the bay. Which looks clean and all. Lot cleaner than the Iowa river ever looked.
The Bay is salt water so doesn't help. With the lack of rain, you are dependent on the snowfall in the Sierras and it's a long way for it to be transported, that and the aging local pipes, and pumping it up to the higher elevation hills all cost money to keep it coming to your house.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:41 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Family of five, 1300 square foot house in Orange County. We use about 220 gal/day and our water bill has been running just under $50/mo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqstan View Post
Someone from LA not knowing that they basically steal water from Northern California? Amazing. No wonder they water their lawns daily to keep them green in the middle of a desert. (I lived there for a year on business travel so I know what I'm talking about). It's infuriating that someone who lives there doesn't know any of that.
Your experience is limited. Not all of Southern California is a desert, and it's not necessary to water lawns every day. In fact, it's illegal to do so.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:43 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
BTW I am in the utility business in Seattle where we have plentiful water and no drought issues, but Seattle charges more than either of you at $4.50/CCF in fall-spring, then 3 tiered from $4.73-$11.80! Luckily we only have to water the lawn 2-3 times a year in Late July and August to keep it green.
Why does Seattle charge so much? I read they import some of their water from British Columbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland