Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 03:24 PM

793 posts, read 1,343,347 times

Advertisements

lol

Perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 06:45 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
"SOME CRACKHO PUKED IN THE FOYER," she shouted.
"Oh, yeah," Penis-fro answers in a totally nonchalant fashion, "yeah, I meant to go clean that up-"
"Yeah, well, I #)!(@*% slipped in it, and now I'm covered in puke."
"Oh, sorry," Paul Banks says and quickly scurries away. The friends disperse from the table and Penis-fro goes to get a slop bucket. No offer of a free drink, no "there's a bathroom back there," not even really a sincere apology. We never went back...
Funny, yet a totally believable episode in the City.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,683 times
I met one beggar waiting outside a building who assured us that was just new in town, all clean and sober now, and he had an apartment set up but he couldn't get they keys until to tomorrow morning. He just needed money to get a room for the night. He reassured my friends and I, as we stood there listening, that he wasn't some beggar, he was totally legit, he was even long time friends with Reverend (Something)...

He thought we were coming out of a church. He'd gone to the wrong building. We were coming out of a school. (He didn't convince anyone. Moved on to another neighborhood I assume.)

Old 01-10-2013, 10:32 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,463,657 times
if you try to disguise yourself they tend to leave you alone, if you wear an old army coat and a camo boonie hat they will not bother you , they will think your a homeless vet

Old 01-10-2013, 10:52 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Does SF not have aggressive-panhandling laws? Seattle does.

The last time I was in SF there were no homeless around Union Square or anywhere around downtown! Someone told me Mayor Gavin Newsome had taken care of the problem, but I gather by the threads here that his solution wasn't a permanent one. Back when there were homeless and handicapped panhandling several to a block around Union Square, I used to hand out whatever I had (change), in increments as I walked down the block. When I ran out, I ran out. I'd tell 'em with a smile they cleaned me out. Usually if you treat them like human beings, they're ok. But the genuine loonies are best avoided. Nowadays where I live now I just say I don't carry cash. That stops 'em in their tracks.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Does SF not have aggressive-panhandling laws? Seattle does.

The last time I was in SF there were no homeless around Union Square or anywhere around downtown! Someone told me Mayor Gavin Newsome had taken care of the problem, but I gather by the threads here that his solution wasn't a permanent one. Back when there were homeless and handicapped panhandling several to a block around Union Square, I used to hand out whatever I had (change), in increments as I walked down the block. When I ran out, I ran out. I'd tell 'em with a smile they cleaned me out. Usually if you treat them like human beings, they're ok. But the genuine loonies are best avoided. Nowadays where I live now I just say I don't carry cash. That stops 'em in their tracks.
There are a zillion homeless people around downtown. On Market. Near Union Square. Around the Financial District.....

Today's crazy incident with a homeless person (or maybe just an addict) was a little different. I was wearing a yellow coat.

A woman commented on it and I love your coat. I said thanks and moseyed along. She mumbled something about bananas and jungle love.

I was weirded out.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:12 AM

793 posts, read 1,343,347 times
Jungle love is driving her mad. It's making her crazy. crazy.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:57 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Jungle love is driving her mad. It's making her crazy. crazy.
So is the jungle juice she's spending her change on.

Union Square is one of those places that SF tries to keep comparatively cleansed of homeless people, like Fisherman's Wharf and other key tourist spots, but they're definitely there. Just might be swept into the nearest alley.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:44 AM

919 posts, read 1,782,537 times
Do what I do, next time you see one of these people, run up to them and say, " I need a buck so bad, really, I'm not a druggie or a drunk, I just need a buck for <insert reason here> and when they don't come up with the money, say, "What are you, some kind of neocon Republican????" Works for me....

Old 01-12-2013, 08:19 AM

172 posts, read 394,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Today I had a disturbing experience when I left the Bart station in downtown sf.

A mid to late 40s black man came up and asked me for change. I rarely give out spare change. I don't like to pull out my wallet.

I politely declined.

Next thing I know is he was speaking the most venomous words to me.

I'll paraphrase:
What, you won't give me any change. Stupid B. I bet you would <insert a ton of sexual expletives> with a white man. Stupid black Bs think you are too good for me but you ain't .....

He followed me to the edge of the staircase ranting and raving about my b*tchiness and worthlessness.

I ignored him.

This was definitely the most aggressive language I have seen when denying a homeless person.

I wonder if he thought I would feel like giving him some change after that tirade. Or what exactly that was going to accomplish.

How many of you have had a similar ridiculous experience?

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Hi Jade,

The same thing happened to me a while back! I was leaving the Rockit Room with some friends and we were walking a couple of blocks down the street to have dinner at a Chinese restaurant when a crazy homeless black guy singled me out and asked me for some change. When I politely refused to give it to him, he began yelling the same types of venomous obscenties at me, stating that I was a bi$ch, a traitor to my race and accused me of sleeping with the white guys that I was with (the were five of us: 2 white guys, 1 hispanic guy, myself and another black woman). He even followed me inside the restaurant yelling and screaming obscenities at me! I was terrified, but kept my cool and remained quiet. One of the gentlemen in the group that I was with stood in between me and the crazy guy and acted as a shield to keep him from hitting me. It wasn't until I yelled for help that the waiter came over and ran the guy out. Everyone in the restaurant saw and heard what was going on, but they just acted like it was my problem and did not want to get involved. It was an extremely terrifying experience and it took me a long time to stop trembling and shaking.

I am very sorry that you had to experience something like that! <hugs>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland