Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 01:55 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times

Advertisements

I think the thing that gets me is that a lot of the bums/homeless in SF have absolutely NO SHAME. I've been in some really dire straights and rough times where I was pretty much penniless and starving, but I never allowed myself to beg for food/money. Call it pride or vanity, or what have you, but begging for money seems like you've hit absolute rock bottom.

On the other hand, in Europe or a some of the less developed places I've been, beggars and the homeless act quite differently. They hang their heads in shame and avoid eye contact and look absolutely famished and impoverished. Contrast that with your typical SF pandhandler who either tells jokes or works a circuit and you'll know what I mean. I've seen some of the same bums for YEARS. How does anyone live that way for such a long time? Maybe I'm callous, but I think the bums/panhandlers in SF have it better than anywhere else, which is why I NEVER give them money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 02:15 PM

919 posts, read 1,782,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I think the thing that gets me is that a lot of the bums/homeless in SF have absolutely NO SHAME. I've been in some really dire straights and rough times where I was pretty much penniless and starving, but I never allowed myself to beg for food/money. Call it pride or vanity, or what have you, but begging for money seems like you've hit absolute rock bottom.

On the other hand, in Europe or a some of the less developed places I've been, beggars and the homeless act quite differently. They hang their heads in shame and avoid eye contact and look absolutely famished and impoverished. Contrast that with your typical SF pandhandler who either tells jokes or works a circuit and you'll know what I mean. I've seen some of the same bums for YEARS. How does anyone live that way for such a long time? Maybe I'm callous, but I think the bums/panhandlers in SF have it better than anywhere else, which is why I NEVER give them money.
I used to see the same guys, day in day out, in the medians on Market St. And they would rotate spots.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:00 AM

34 posts, read 32,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post

So true. The professional beggars all receive free taxpayers $ called Welfare. Then they get free eats at the shelters. Then they get a free roof over their head at the shelters. They also get free medical care at the clinics. They do work the circuit. For example, the off ramp from the Central Freeway is a highly lucrative piece of real estate. The bums use to kill each other over that spot but now they buy each other off with drugs or foodstamps to occupy that hot selling spot. You are right, they have no shame. They take your free taxpayer dollars to get free welfare then they see how much more they can trick you giving you that sad look and asking for a bite to eat when they know well that they get free eats somewhere.

I saw on 60 minutes where a masters pyschology student wanted to do a test and panhandled for a week. He said it was so easy and made way more than the minimum wage.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:56 PM

116 posts, read 190,429 times
The bums in oakland are much more aggressive. In Oakland the guys will scream at you at a light if you dont pay them

Old 02-03-2013, 07:37 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Be creative and I will reward!

Saw a guy on my honeymoon in SF holding a sign that read:

"Help, my wife has been kidnapped and I am short 58 cents on the ransom!"

I gave that guy $10 and told my wife to get in a picture with him! Classic...

Old 02-03-2013, 09:46 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fitsburgh View Post
The bums in oakland are much more aggressive. In Oakland the guys will scream at you at a light if you dont pay them
Hmm. That's funny. I only experience this when I am in SF. The Oakland bums tell me "God-bless and have a good day."

Old 02-03-2013, 10:37 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Not many bums begging for change in Oakland from my experience. I've lived here for 6 years, and besides the Safeway by Lake Merritt and by the 980 overpass, I never see anyone panhandling/begging for change. I could probably name 20+ corners in SF where it happens though, but it's only because I'VE ACTUALLY LIVED AND WORKED HERE for a while, unlike some other people...

Old 02-04-2013, 07:15 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Be creative and I will reward!
That, or just be honest (OK, most other guys would actually buy beer, but...)

Beer Money Panhandling ~ Homeless Man's Cardboard Sign - YouTube

Old 02-04-2013, 07:31 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I remember one time a 60-something homeless guy offered to do a cartwheel. We gave him some money.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:12 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayareaadvisor View Post
So true. The professional beggars all receive free taxpayers $ called Welfare. Then they get free eats at the shelters. Then they get a free roof over their head at the shelters. They also get free medical care at the clinics. They do work the circuit. For example, the off ramp from the Central Freeway is a highly lucrative piece of real estate. The bums use to kill each other over that spot but now they buy each other off with drugs or foodstamps to occupy that hot selling spot. You are right, they have no shame. They take your free taxpayer dollars to get free welfare then they see how much more they can trick you giving you that sad look and asking for a bite to eat when they know well that they get free eats somewhere.
They don't get cash anymore, so what are you talking about?

Some may get Social security or disability. Is this the "welfare" you're speaking of?

Foodstamps is a FEDERAL PROGRAM called SNAP which is not part of the welfare system. Medicaid can be utilized by anyone of low income, even those working.

Stop being a SNOB.

Quote:
I saw on 60 minutes where a masters pyschology student wanted to do a test and panhandled for a week. He said it was so easy and made way more than the minimum wage.
Panhandling is NOT easy. All these stories of beggars making tons of money begging is pure fiction. Just like the welfare "queen" who rolls up to the supermarket in a mercedes wearing a fur coat and diamonds to purchase groceries with her foodstamp card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland