Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 05:42 PM

116 posts, read 190,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Depends on one's definition of 'living wage'. Plenty of people get by with much less than that.
And they have 5 roommates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 05:59 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fitsburgh View Post
And they have 5 roommates.
Which can be quite fun in a place like SF.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Which can be quite fun in a place like SF.
Not when you're over 25.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:20 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fitsburgh View Post
Not when you're over 25.
Or you still like to have fun, though you're over 25. I happen to know a great many like this. Not everybody has to grow old, boring and angry.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:55 AM

Having a bunch of roomates is your idea of fun? That gets old fast after a certain age, has nothing to do with being old or angry etc. Privacy can be a good thing. Especially when dating.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
What have been the results of San Francisco's living wage? Has it helped or hurt the local economy?

San Francisco Minimum Wage Increase Makes It Highest In The Nation (VIDEO)
there is no such thing as a real living wage, i don't care how high it goes. Most minimum paying jobs are not dsigned to support a person or a family.They were meant to be starter jobs for kids, jobs for college kids, housewives that wanted a few extra bucks or as a second income on a part time basis. By raising the min wage, all that is accomplished is, higher salaries for others and the cost is passed onto the comsumer. What part of this can some not understand?

Old 01-26-2013, 08:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Nobody fusses about techies making huge incomes by producing shovelware and driving up rents for everyone else. Surely their high incomes contribute to the costs of your iphone? You don't care? Ok.

$10.55 an hour still isn't enough to live somewhere like SF or even Oakland, hell it's not enough to get by on in Texas or Florida for that matter.
min wages are not designed to live on. They are desigened as second jobs, part time jobs etc. I don't think anyone thinks $10.55 an hour is a livable wage, if that is the only form of income. Also, what makes you think living in Florida is cheap or even Texas for that matter. Florida is anything but an inexpensive place to live. They are no state income taxes, that is a savings, everything else is on par with most larger states. No, it isn't as expensive as Ca but it isn't a low cost of living state either.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 897 times
Enforcement of the living wage is the mechanism for political control. Hotel workers- you're good. Chinese restaurants- sorry, can't see you. Department stores- you're covered, massage parlors- that's funny. Organize the unorganized to win contracts with better pay. Living wage is a shill.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:24 PM

629 posts, read 619,932 times
As a small business owner in the city, increasing minimum wage has a dramatic effect. As has been mentioned, when you increase the wages of the lowest workers (or hire new people with NO SKiLLS, hence need to be trained, which is expensive by itself) it forces me to bump everyone else up as well. In the end I am forced to cross train everyone and keep employee numbers as low as possible. If min wage was lower I'd hire a couple more people or increase hours of the existing staff. This crap forces lots of small businesses to be understaffed in order to keep in business. There are other negative consequences to this as well, but something tells me that using facts hardly matters to some on here, so I won't waste my time. Idiots who claim that this is all about "the 1% and how they're greedy, so it's only fair to take their money and spread it out" have no idea how this stuff really works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland