Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 06:45 PM

793 posts, read 1,343,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
That would be pure bandwagon-jumping, changing longstanding allegiances every time one relocates. Rabid regional support occurs more for college teams than pro, anyway.

A big reason many in CA retain their support of teams from elsewhere is that fans moved here from elsewhere. But they don't trade their Yankees jerseys for Dodgers or SF.
I agree....and lots of kids grow up rooting for whoever their parents root for. People pick their teams for lots of reasons. The important thing is to stick with the same team.

I know a guy that grew up in western Ma. He's a die-hard Red Sox fan, but hates the Pats. He roots for the Giants. I asked him why. His father only watched the Giants. I know another guy from Pittsburgh. He lives in Maine now. It's Steelers all the way with him. But his baseball team is the Red Sox. Again, I asked why. He never cared for baseball growing up but the Red Sox grew on him when he relocated.

Someone else told me they became a Cowboys fan as a kid simply because they liked the star logo. Years went by and he's still a die-hard Dallas fan.

Again, real fans, not bandwagoners stick with the same team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 06:47 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,717,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Yeah, Minnesota or the Eagles or Lions etc etc
Minnesota has lost 4 Super Bowls, dating back to Fran Tarkenton and the Purple People Eaters.

The Eagles have lost 2.

But if your a fan is it worse to get there and lose (especially multiple times), or never get there at all?

The Lions haven't even ever been to a Super Bowl.

Quote:
No you misunderstood me. Im saying what you are saying. I retain my fandom of the niners even though Im in cowboy country, because Im from northern California. Stable.
If you are born/raised in the bay area and are a Cowboy fan. Unstable.
You actually think that anyone rooting for a team from another geographic area is unstable? That's pretty hilarious actually. There's still Dodgers and Giants fans in NY that are 2nd or 3rd generation since the teams left.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post

But if your a fan is it worse to get there and lose, or never get there at all?
The obvious answer is to "get there", but I swear to God, Mr. Flyer was so tense and frustated last night, I thought he was going to have a heart attack. Dude was way too worked up. You'd think he had a million dollars on the game.

The kids went to their rooms and the dog fled outside.

Not much enjoyable about that.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
The obvious answer is to "get there", but I swear to God, Mr. Flyer was so tense and frustated last night, I thought he was going to have a heart attack. Dude was way too worked up. You'd think he had a million dollars on the game.

The kids went to their rooms and the dog fled outside.

Not much enjoyable about that.
Is Mr. Flyer a Ravens or 49ers fan?

Old 02-04-2013, 07:01 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,124,091 times
Quote:
Minnesota has lost 4 Super Bowls, dating back to Fran Tarkenton and the Purple People Eaters.

The Eagles have lost 2.

But if your a fan is it worse to get there and lose (especially multiple times), or never get there at all?

The Lions haven't even ever been to a Super Bowl.
Theyre both bad, but teams like Minn and Philly who have been close so many times is probably worse, because inspite of the success they have as many super bowls as Detroit and Houston.

Quote:
You actually think that anyone rooting for a team from another geographic area is unstable? That's pretty hilarious actually. There's still Dodgers and Giants fans in NY that are 2nd or 3rd generation since the teams left.
I really do. Of course its a personal thing, but I think a true fan should have a real rooting interest. If you are an Arizona Cardinal fan and every home game you go to there is a significant rooting interest for the opposition, that sucks. You wont see that in older cities.
Those Dodger and Giant fans have a legitimate rooting interest, its not made up.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:04 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Nothing says team loyalty like moving out of the state you were born in, and cheering for a team from a totally different state
Quote:
Very unstable. Those are known as bandwagon fans.
Actually, nothing says self-determination and power of your convictions like thinking on your own and not being tied to and fettered by mere geography and what it may or may not encompass.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Theyre both bad, but teams like Minn and Philly who have been close so many times is probably worse, because inspite of the success they have as many super bowls as Detroit and Houston.

I really do. Of course its a personal thing, but I think a true fan should have a real rooting interest. If you are an Arizona Cardinal fan and every home game you go to there is a significant rooting interest for the opposition, that sucks. You wont see that in older cities.
Those Dodger and Giant fans have a legitimate rooting interest, its not made up.
Who do I have permission to root for in Fresno then? The Raiders, 49ers or Rams? Are the Chargers close enough?

What if you live in Idaho? Can you be a Denver fan or must you be a Seahawks fan?

When I lived in Pasadena I attended a preseason game at the Big A between the Raiders and Rams. They are both gone now. Who can they root for in LA now according to your scenario? The Chargers?

Everyones interest in the team they want to root for is real...

Old 02-04-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Is Mr. Flyer a Ravens or 49ers fan?
49er fan.

Mr. Flyer

Old 02-04-2013, 07:17 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,124,091 times
Quote:
Who do I have permission to root for in Fresno then? The Raiders, 49ers or Rams? Are the Chargers close enough?

What if you live in Idaho? Can you be a Denver fan or must you be a Seahawks fan?

When I lived in Pasadena I attended a preseason game at the Big A between the Raiders and Rams. They are both gone now. Who can they root for in LA now according to your scenario? The Chargers?

Everyones interest in the team they want to root for is real...
And thats why sunbelt cities have bad reputations for having fair weather fans. Where did you grow up?
If you're from Chicago (not relo'd), you should be a Bears fan. Not Tampa or Jacksonville.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:18 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,281,603 times
Quote:
Actually, nothing says self-determination and power of your convictions like thinking on your own and not being tied to and fettered by mere geography and what it may or may not encompass.
Spoken like a typical bandwagoner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland