Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 12:20 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I didn't say I supported it- Jeeze! I'm all for licenses being taken away for a long time and huge fines and all, but not torturing or putting them away forever, it's a traffic violation, not murder. Obviously IF someone was injured or killed the mighty forces of justice should come down hard- but I haven't heard of dozens of victims from this activity.

I just don't think that the chances of me coming across this are actually very high, (yes, i understand this happens fairly frequently in some areas -usually surface streets- of Oakland, but hearing about it or seeing it on the news is not the same as actually being affected by it) and if I did I wouldn't freak out, because I know I'm never going to see this again.
No you didn't support it. But in your post, you do tolerate it to an certain extent. This kind of stunt should not be accepted on any level whatsoever. It's very dangerous period!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 12:23 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It does get crazy and people do get injured and property is often damaged...

106th and Foothill was a popular spot... now, no so much since there is round the clock security with the new construction in the area.

It is frightening because you are basically stuck and hoping the idiot doesn't loose control and smack into you... it has happened more times than I care to remember.

If my father every caught me abusing a car like that... it would have put an end to my driving.

I just don't get it how people in this economy have the money literally to burn on tires and tearing up their vehicles.
The thing I don't understand is with all the industrial blocks, why they choose to show off late at night in residential neighborhoods. There are some areas I just can't consider, because if the road is wide enough to do donuts, some idiot will.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:24 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,977 times
Does anyone have a good link to what started the "side show" culture in Oakland?

After watching the 10 minute KTVU report last night about these incidents in Oakland, I'm sort of curious as to how it got its start.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:31 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Several years ago Oakland went after a number of sideshow participants and surprise -- none of the ones they arrested were from here.

The biggest thing that has to change is the perception that Oakland is the place to do this. Hey -- off topic -- lets talk about illegal dumping -- happens all the time in my neighborhood... and last time I heard when they caught them they also weren't from Oakland...

Our police force has to get all medieval on theese miscreants azzes and enforce all the laws in a draconian way.... which isn't going to happen with John Burris sticking his nose in constantly.

but as my ex boyfriends father used to say -- wish in one hand and sh*t in the other and see which fills up the fastest...

Old 01-31-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

but as my ex boyfriends father used to say -- wish in one hand and sh*t in the other and see which fills up the fastest...
He was a smart guy.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:03 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Several years ago Oakland went after a number of sideshow participants and surprise -- none of the ones they arrested were from here.

The biggest thing that has to change is the perception that Oakland is the place to do this. Hey -- off topic -- lets talk about illegal dumping -- happens all the time in my neighborhood... and last time I heard when they caught them they also weren't from Oakland...

Our police force has to get all medieval on theese miscreants azzes and enforce all the laws in a draconian way.... which isn't going to happen with John Burris sticking his nose in constantly.

So true... Oakland is seen as being lawless and outsiders take full advantage...

One of the sideshows had participants from Vallejo, Tracy, Stockton and as far as Elk Grove.

Must not be enough excitement so they need to come here.

I've caught dumpers a few times and none of the ones I caught lived in Oakland.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:29 PM

116 posts, read 190,401 times
Quote:
So true... Oakland is seen as being lawless and outsiders take full advantage...

One of the sideshows had participants from Vallejo, Tracy, Stockton and as far as Elk Grove.

Must not be enough excitement so they need to come here.

I've caught dumpers a few times and none of the ones I caught lived in Oakland.
Oakland IS lawless which is why these events happen over and over. San Jose a city 3 times the size would NEVER have situations like this.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:31 PM

Let's not go overboard here. While some people go into Oakland to create trouble, you have to ask yourself why they don't go to Danville, or San Ramon to cause the same trouble. It's because Oakland has a side show culture that was already in existence before these interlopers came along.

On KTVU last night they showed a side show from 2004, it literally over took Broadway and had 200+ people in attendance. I highly doubt these were deviants from Vallejo. This culture has been in Oakland for a long time. How long is what I'm trying to find out.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:33 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fitsburgh View Post
Oakland IS lawless which is why these events happen over and over. San Jose a city 3 times the size would NEVER have situations like this.
San Jose is in crisis mode regarding it's police and the spike in the murder rate...

Don't see how anyone can say never in today's world and I was born in San Jose.

Law Enforcement just released the owner's name of one of the vehicles and surprise... not a resident Oakland...

Old 01-31-2013, 01:51 PM

116 posts, read 190,401 times
Quote:
San Jose is in crisis mode regarding it's police and the spike in the murder rate...

Don't see how anyone can say never in today's world and I was born in San Jose.

Law Enforcement just released the owner's name of one of the vehicles and surprise... not a resident Oakland...
Crisis Mode in San Jose would be a walk in the park in Oakland. San Jose has what? 40 Murders a year during a "Crisis" keep in mind this is a city of a Million People? MILLION. Oakland has 40 Murders in 4 months and 3 times less the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland