Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 07:37 PM
mlb mlb started this thread

4,971 posts, read 4,458,842 times

Advertisements

We've been away since 1990. Left Los Angeles - where my husband grew up. Now in the northern Rockies.

Looking for someplace cool in summer - but not fogbound, not freezing in Winter..... Looked in the extended Monterey/Carmel/Prunedale area but are thinking it's too far from reality....and a little too rural for us. And the coastal fog would be a problem.

However, we really want space around us - and do NOT want to live in a crazy busy city. We are DONE with that. We're actually considering places north of SFO like Santa Rosa - and wonder if we're not out of our minds thinking we could afford a place in the range of not more than $350K - more in the 250-300K range. Driving to creature comforts within a half hour's time is reasonable.

Family in the SF Peninsula - but we will never have enough money to live there. We do want to be within reasonable driving distance of them however.

And yes, we actually will have a decent retirement. We were able to save. If we had stayed in CA that might not have happened.

Any suggestions for communities that fit that bill are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 07:44 PM

202 posts, read 532,971 times
You don't want to live near an airport.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:21 PM

386 posts, read 798,279 times
The price range is tough for a house any where within 1 to 1 1/2 hour drive of SF. However if you are amenable to age 55+ communities, there are some in Santa Rosa and Napa and Walnut Creek in that price range. These are condos and townhouses.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:06 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,816,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglenet View Post
The price range is tough for a house any where within 1 to 1 1/2 hour drive of SF. However if you are amenable to age 55+ communities, there are some in Santa Rosa and Napa and Walnut Creek in that price range. These are condos and townhouses.
But even Walnut Creek may be a little too "city" when you consider its location on the busy freeway system and the fact that BART plans to expand out there in the next few years. Napa is lovely, but then one has to contend with all that tourist traffic on Highway 37. Santa Rosa and other Sonoma County environs like Sonoma and Rohnert Park are the way to go.

You could also go down on the Central Coast and look at towns like Gonzales, Atascadero, Arroyo Grande, even newer parts of Salinas and also find reasonably priced housing.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:14 AM

24,411 posts, read 27,025,921 times
I'd look into Petaluma, Rohnert Park and Santa Rosa.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:16 AM

793 posts, read 1,345,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTalon View Post
You don't want to live near an airport.
:giggle

Old 02-07-2013, 10:40 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,475,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
But even Walnut Creek may be a little too "city" when you consider its location on the busy freeway system and the fact that BART plans to expand out there in the next few years.
Actually, BART has been in Walnut Creek for some time now.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:28 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,088,509 times
Once you get further than about a 1 1/2 to 2 hours rush hour commute out of SF, prices start dropping quite a bit.

Also check out some places with nice neighborhoods but lousy schools, since good schools really raise housing prices--places like El Sobrante, Pinole, parts of Concord.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:10 PM
mlb mlb started this thread

4,971 posts, read 4,458,842 times
BART was in Walnut Creek when I lived there '76-84.

I've driven through Pinole and El Sobrante when we came back a month ago.... and was pretty gobsmacked at how high density built up it is.

I lived atop the San Pablo Ridge near Hilltop Mall - with a great view of the city - the last few years I lived in Northern California. I daresay I could even find that place driving through now.

That's TOO built up.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:00 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,816,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Actually, BART has been in Walnut Creek for some time now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
BART was in Walnut Creek when I lived there '76-84.

I've driven through Pinole and El Sobrante when we came back a month ago.... and was pretty gobsmacked at how high density built up it is.

I lived atop the San Pablo Ridge near Hilltop Mall - with a great view of the city - the last few years I lived in Northern California. I daresay I could even find that place driving through now.

That's TOO built up.
My error. I was getting Walnut Creek confused with the proposed BART extension to Livermore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland