Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 05:25 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easherly View Post
San Francisco has a freshly diverse population in the sense that many languages are spoken and there are residents who believe that English is not the primary language in the United States.
Do you have evidence to back this up? Sources?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 06:28 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
NYC, la, Chicago, Oakland are all likely more diverse. Especially nyc
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It's not even the most diverse city in the Bay Area.
^These.

San Francisco may have been more diverse up until the 1990s. Much of the diversity has been priced out. But, compared to 95% of the U.S., it is still quite diverse.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:50 PM

337 posts, read 733,265 times
I would also like to add that there aren't very many middle or upper-class African-Americans in San Francisco. Same with Latinos. Most Latinos in San Francisco are working class and are marginalized to the Mission, Excelsior, etc.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:33 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athleticsfan72737489 View Post
I would also like to add that there aren't very many middle or upper-class African-Americans in San Francisco. Same with Latinos. Most Latinos in San Francisco are working class and are marginalized to the Mission, Excelsior, etc.
Yes, all got forced out. SF is very classist, and the middle class + population is not very diverse at all.

Since it is so rare to see/meet a middle class african-american or latino, I find that certain people in SF already have preconceived notions before I say a word.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:45 PM

587 posts, read 1,411,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yes, all got forced out. SF is very classist, and the middle class + population is not very diverse at all.

Since it is so rare to see/meet a middle class african-american or latino, I find that certain people in SF already have preconceived notions before I say a word.
The few middle class blacks in SF are token blacks living amongst whites in nicer city neighborhoods. Having a few token black gay guys in the Castro is an essential. A few black folks in SF with advanced levels of education who make good money who don't mind living in a sea of whiteness.

But there are a handful of middle class blacks living in single family homes in neighborhoods like the OMI a.k.a. "Lakeview" and Hunter's Point. Houses in these historically struggling crime-ridden ghetto hoods are actually quite nice and comparable to houses in quieter city neighborhoods like the Sunset. Gentrification has caused the prices of homes in Lakeview and Hunter's Point to double or even triple in the past two decades. The rest of SF's black population lives in the projects. The projects in the southern half of The City have a markedly lower quality of life than that of the projects in the heavy tourist traffic areas like the Fillmore.

But SF is so expensive that a household making 50K a year could be considered lower class which is absurd. Add to the fact that dirt poor most black SF residents are making 15K a year living off the government, working minimum wage or selling drugs.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:59 PM

184 posts, read 447,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Is San Francisco the most diverse city in the USA?
Not even close.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:07 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwalton View Post
I'm one of those Americans who has lived abroad and I agree that I meet a lot of people here who've lived overseas. But I now live in an area that's mostly Asian. It's not a bad thing and an easy adjustment for me as when I lived abroad I lived in an Asian country, but in NYC I had diversity on my block(s) (I moved a couple of times while I was there) and you don't see that a lot here. I'm not saying that NYC is an ideal melting pot, but you can live in an area with hipsters (young whites mostly), Puerto Ricans and Hassidic Jews - and that's totally normal.

I also felt it was more diverse because you not only had an Asian population but also Afro-Caribbeans, Africans, and Latinos from various countries, and European immigrants too.
On the other hand, San Francisco is:

#12 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander residents (pop 50,000+)"

#1 (94104) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of residents speaking Asian or Pacific Island language at home"
#4 (94129) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Northern European first ancestries (pop 1,000+)"
#6 (94134) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Maltese first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"
#15 (94104) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Albanian first ancestries"
#16 (94111) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of South African first ancestries (pop 1,000+)"
#19 (94130) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of European first ancestries (pop 1,000+)"
#23 (94103) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Soviet Union first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"

Old 04-09-2013, 03:34 PM

189 posts, read 362,333 times
No way...NYC is more diverse than SF.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:35 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,755 times
I'm pretty sure Houston is the most racially diverse city in the country. The demographics are almost evenly split.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:47 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
It's not. Honolulu would be, if you're talking major US cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland