Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 03:19 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

First online meeting of the Herb Caen Fan Club takes place here.

Share your memories of the column, the columnist, and (by popular demand) your warm-and-fuzzy feelings for Baghdad-By-The-Bay.

[This thread sponsored by: Citizens For Greater Topic Diversity In The San Francisco/Oakland Forum]

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-16-2013 at 04:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 03:33 PM

434 posts, read 1,019,149 times
I remember a Ben Bagdikian article that portrayed Caen as a sweating Atlas, holding the Chronicle on his shoulders. Bagdikian's view was that Caen had to introduce news that the Chron should have covered elsewhere.

I also remember the line "San Francisco International Airport and Parking Lot" from one of his columns.

I think he once lived atop Nob Hill, with spectacular views of the Bay. Or so I learned on a hike here.

Those are my three cents.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:36 PM

I liked the way he sometimes referred to the Chron as "The Caenicle". And he had other whimsical and catchy ways of using his name. Like for random observations of goings-on around the City, he labelled that "Caenfetti". I also thought that for a gossip columnist, or whatever he was, his writing was remarkably good and creative. Generally a lot of fun.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-16-2013 at 04:30 PM..

Old 04-16-2013, 04:27 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
He might ask that you spell his last name with an E, not an I ... Still not as bad as calling The City "Frisco" ...

Old 04-16-2013, 04:30 PM

^^^ Hey, thanks. I've spelled it both ways when typing out my posts, then I go back and correct one or the other, back and forth. Thx for the alert.

Done. All except the title to the thread, couldn't make a change there.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:56 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times
I remember him cause you told me about him.

Fresno Subchapter of the Citizens Diversified Cotillion. Or something like that.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:35 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
I wonder what he'd think of the state of his "Car-Strangled Spanner" (The Bay Bridge) as its reopening celebrations get pushed back due to faulty materials.

Caen was an inspiration to me. I remember reading his column on microfiche from a library in Texas for years and thinking that SF must truly be a special place to inspire such poetic descriptions from a journalist. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say he was our Woody Allen. He just worked in another medium.

In a lot of ways, in his time, newspapers were more honest because they were more local. They self-consciously inserted their spin on the style of the writing. They had a voice, even in the hard news, that was identifiable. Today, the art form is largely gone. Wire stories and rip-and-run press release advertorials supplement short-staffed papers' editorial. "Content" now rules over copy. Herb would have balanced this -- artfully, sincerely and lastingly, wielding puns and insightful jabs at the system, amusing and confusing readers along the way, and inspiring people to dream about the City.

We don't dream enough about this city anymore...and it shows.

Here's one of mine that came to me on the walk home from work a couple of nights ago:

Everyone has his North Beach.

Cruddy, scummy, shifty.

Glitzy, colorful, sexy.

There’s the din, long, low, neon buzz. Echoes of footsteps of Dharma Bums.

There’s The Barbary Coast. Shiny tourists’ trinkets. The Roaring ‘20s.

The apoplectic ‘80s.

Newbies use their Tenderloin walk. Innuendo from bouncers on Broadway.

No eye contact.

Greasy garlic, hemp and ginger. Snapshots of a pyramid. Sex shop. Cheesesteaks.

Joltin' Joe.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I wonder what he'd think of the state of his "Car-Strangled Spanner" (The Bay Bridge) as its reopening celebrations get pushed back due to faulty materials.

Caen was an inspiration to me. I remember reading his column on microfiche from a library in Texas for years and thinking that SF must truly be a special place to inspire such poetic descriptions from a journalist. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say he was our Woody Allen. He just worked in another medium.

In a lot of ways, in his time, newspapers were more honest because they were more local. They self-consciously inserted their spin on the style of the writing. They had a voice, even in the hard news, that was identifiable. Today, the art form is largely gone. Wire stories and rip-and-run press release advertorials supplement short-staffed papers' editorial. "Content" now rules over copy. Herb would have balanced this -- artfully, sincerely and lastingly, wielding puns and insightful jabs at the system, amusing and confusing readers along the way, and inspiring people to dream about the City.

We don't dream enough about this city anymore...and it shows.

Here's one of mine that came to me on the walk home from work a couple of nights ago:

Cruddy, scummy, shifty.

Glitzy, colorful, sexy.

There’s the din, long, low, neon buzz. Echoes of footsteps of Dharma Bums.

There’s The Barbary Coast. Shiny tourists’ trinkets. The Roaring ‘20s.

The apoplectic ‘80s.

Newbies use their Tenderloin walk. Innuendo from bouncers on Broadway.

No eye contact.

Greasy garlic, hemp and ginger. Snapshots of a pyramid. Sex shop. Cheesesteaks.

Joltin' Joe.

very good. very evocative. I can feel myself being shanghaid.

A poem I had in the hopper to put in the free chat thread. But here's fine.

The Yankee Clipper

In discussing great center fielders
no discussion is complete
without mention of the Yankee Clipper
a graceful man about the bases
and all five tools in galore
speed, power, average, and whatever more
scouts do envy when they are in such abundance
and sportwriters write about in words quite eloquent
the Yankee Clipper started in San Francisco
with the Seals in Cal League ball
bought by the Yankees to the big city
with career interrupted by war
who knows what he would have done
in full career
Where have you gone Joe Dimaggio?
was once sung in famous song
yet in Senno's mind the memory is strong
of the Clipper in full stride
catching up to a line drive
and doubling off an errant runner
with strong arm that brings the thunder
and leaves opposing manager a blubber
with no one on base and inning over
as Clipper glides sedately into the dugout forevermore

Simon & Garfunkel - Mrs. Robinson - YouTube

Old 04-16-2013, 06:34 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
He gave us the term "Three-Dot Journalism" due to his frequent use of ellipses.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:40 PM

How about a Herb Cain one-off impersonation?

Senno Does Cain, Just Not Very Ably Or "It's Not Bad but it Ain't San Francisco"

It's not my fault you aren't a San Franciscan. And don't ever say "Frisco" in my presence. Common sense solutions for common problems. Elect me! Wait, this ain't Herman Cain is it? Ohhh, Herb Cain... Got it. Lemme start over:

Look, the Kid knows and understands that you all want a mention in one of my columns. If I could mention you all I would. But I can't, so stop sending me self-addressed stamped envelopes with a request for an autographed column with your mention in it please. If you include a Moose's gift certificate you're in the column, though.

Was at lunch with Ruth4Truth the other day, discussing the trolley plans the city council is discussing. She convinced me the trolleys should run on time as advertised. Wonderful. Next we will conquer world hunger. After we finish eating our 7 course meal.

So I was at dinner the other night with Willie Mosconi. Or was that Willie Brown? Can't keep my Willie's straight anymore. Which one's the hustler? And which ones the politician?

Did lunch with Gavin Newsome the other day. He seems like he newsomething about politics for sure. Bright future that one. Maybe one day he will be Mayor of Oakland. I hear that's the big step to the future.

So what do you all think about Obama and saying that our lovely Attorney General is the loveliest attorney general of them all? Wonder if she can sue a sitting President for harassment? Better ask Monica Llewinsky how that turned out.

So I accidentally crossed the Bay Bridge and found myself in Oakland. Managed to make it to Marin in one piece fortunately. Found the Mariners were all out marinating as usual. Nothing ever really changes there in Marin.

Called Diane Feinstein's office, and she took the call. We were discussing gun control and I reminded her of the famous picture of her with the AK-47. I thought she looked very Che in it. She was hoping for more Dolce Automaticica.

Statistics show that most accidents occur within 5 miles of home. I keep reminding the Conservatives they can go home again.

Was briefly out of my mind and considered going down to Pier 39. But then I thought if I wanted to see Fresnans I'd just go to Fresno. Less traffic and trouble to do. Parkings cheaper also.

So, Herb Cain arrived at the Pearly Gates and was handed his new assignment by the Copy Editor, Saint Oakland By the Bay... Actually I am sure Herb is safely esconced in Heaven writing when and what he wants. RIP Herb Cain.

This is mostly me, cause I can't emulate Herb Cain for beans.

Senno out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland