Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 02:57 PM

821 posts, read 1,040,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Western Addition = Carroll Gardens??? Maybe they meant Boerum Hill (PJ's are right there)

I disagree with a lot of that list. SF is not comparable to NYC.

SF is much sketchier than NYC and many of these neighborhoods are great in NY but somewhat scary in SF.
Boerum Hill,Carroll Gradens. All these neighborhoods in Brooklyn are becomiong exactly the same. PJ's? I used to live in the PJ's in Lower East Side. Everyone just assumes that the PJ's rise crime rates. Not true. Doesn't matter how close the PJ's are all the hood's are the same: Yuppies, coffee shops, Thai Restaurants, Soccer Moms, Celebrity Moms, knitting clubs, and trendy clothing stores made by rich trust fund kids from Connecticut.
SF is not comparable PERIOD! My life needs a little more sketch in its life, New York is just like any other city in America at this point in time. No more Falvor. SF has a lot more flavor and is far more progressive as a city than NY. Its more of a peoples town. Corporate take over isn't quite as bad there as it is here in NY. Williamsburg! PUKE! At least where I grew up it hasn't yet been attacked by yuppies (Sheapshead Bay and Bensonhurst.)

Last edited by Joe Bama!; 10-05-2008 at 03:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 03:19 PM

821 posts, read 1,040,167 times
I believe a major difference in appearance between Ny and SF is the preservation of the original architectiure, interiors, and store fronts. In NY, they just knock down and put up a terrible steel and glass structure next to a brownstone. No style is preserved, no respect, no style, no grace. The maintaining of original style in SF is far better than the bull crap going up in NY right now.
I love the MUNI! I can see everything instead of pitch dark out the subway window in NY.

Last edited by Joe Bama!; 10-05-2008 at 03:30 PM..

Old 10-05-2008, 04:05 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,483,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
Its more of a peoples town.
Yes... a crazy people's town!

SF is nice to visit but too many crazies there all the way up to the city gub'ment. And lets face it SF is more of a playground for the rich than even NYC now... SF's number one industry.... tourism. NYC still has finance, advertising and a huge number of commercial HQ's that attract joe-white-collar from a mega suburban jungle... SF can't claim that anymore, San Jose is the real economic powerhouse.

Not sure what the residents of SF want from that city but at the rate they are going that place is going to be nothing but yuppies and freaks, NYC remains a much more middle-class city than SF, even Manhattan!

Last edited by NYSD1995; 10-05-2008 at 04:20 PM..

Old 10-05-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
I believe a major difference in appearance between Ny and SF is the preservation of the original architectiure, interiors, and store fronts.
But that is what NYC is all about, it is about change, renewal, growth. It is the monument to American capitalism! And c'mon they are much better about preservation than they used to be. A lot of what they fight to preserve in SF is derelict and doesn't deserve preservation anyway.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann304 View Post
SF is the NYC of the west.

Probably cuz of the compactness the 2 have and there thing for banking.

SF is tiny, very tiny compared to NYC.

Both have there faults too.
LA is the NYC of the west.

SF is it's own unique flower.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:01 PM

12 posts, read 36,783 times
For New Yorkers looking to move to SF, this comparison list is very helpful. The array of towns in CA and their variability is a bit unmanageable. Anyway, I am contemplating that move, so a comparison list is quite helpful, although I am cognizant of the fact that comparisons are broad.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:03 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,156,991 times
I have lived in both areas and there are some similarities, but definitely the differences outway them.

If you are talking metro;
San francisco is Manhattan
East Bay is Northern/Central NJ
Poconos = Tracy
Peninsula = Long Island
Marin = Westchester/Fairfield
North Bay = Upstate

In the city, the only neighborhoods which could be compared for a stretch would be;
Financial Districts
Nob Hill = Carnegie Hill
Pacific/Presidio Heights = UES
Castro/Hayes Valley = Chelsea
North Beach = Little Italy/Nolita
Sir Francis Wood = Forest Hills
Noe Valley = East Village
Flushing = Richmond

Side Note: Nothing matches Tribeca, Greenwich Village or the UWS, anywhere...

New York is more accepting because you can be a middle of the road guy there and not be shunned for saying you are against relationships/or marriage between a gay pygmie and a golden retriever. God is the greatest comedian of all time.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:32 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,291,096 times
Quote:
Yes... a crazy people's town!

SF is nice to visit but too many crazies there all the way up to the city gub'ment. And lets face it SF is more of a playground for the rich than even NYC now... SF's number one industry.... tourism. NYC still has finance, advertising and a huge number of commercial HQ's that attract joe-white-collar from a mega suburban jungle... SF can't claim that anymore, San Jose is the real economic powerhouse.

Not sure what the residents of SF want from that city but at the rate they are going that place is going to be nothing but yuppies and freaks, NYC remains a much more middle-class city than SF, even Manhattan!

You're right but isn't NYC just as expensive as SF? Oakland and surrounding cities would be like bouroughs of San Francisco if we did it like NY here. The actual city of SF is more like Manhattan Over priced. Manhatten is filled with yuppies as well and Brooklyn is full of them.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
You're right but isn't NYC just as expensive as SF? Oakland and surrounding cities would be like bouroughs of San Francisco if we did it like NY here. The actual city of SF is more like Manhattan Over priced. Manhatten is filled with yuppies as well and Brooklyn is full of them.
Manhattan is more expensive than SF, but NYC's surburban areas have a more diverse mix of low / middle / upper class than SF does. A lot of that is because of the extensive transportation system in the NYC metro.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:49 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,291,096 times
Quote:
Manhattan is more expensive than SF, but NYC's surburban areas have a more diverse mix of low / middle / upper class than SF does. A lot of that is because of the extensive transportation system in the NYC metro.
I would say SF's Suburban area's have a decent mix as well. Richmond, Vallejo, Pinole, Daly City, San Leandro, etc San Pablo are all diverse economically and racially. Their area may be larger but I don't think anymore Diverse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland