Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 02:27 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times

Advertisements

Keep it on topic, or I will shut it down. Remember please -- although I consider this whole thread the perimeter of the envelope being pushed, we are not to attack each other or start flame wars.

Play nice, people.

Tallysmom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 02:41 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil1212 View Post
I would be happy if I never heard the word "hipster" again. No one even knows what it means anymore. See post above for evidence^ You know, those people used to be called "skaters" back when I was in junior high. Now he's a hipster? Huh?

Best I can tell most people now use the word to refer to "young people living in urban areas." Which is a pretty meaningless way of defining people.
According to one definition I looked up, the skater thing is considered a subset of "hipster". Go figure.

Here's another definition, for future reference. The word seems to indicate creative, liberal, counter-culture-ish 20- and 30-somethings. Doesn't seem like anything new, except for the fashion choices.

Urban Dictionary: hipster

Old 05-15-2013, 02:53 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,132 times
I like oakland and own a home in nicer walkable area of oakland.
I love hipsters ! I want to hug them and say "thank you for increasing my property values ,you crazy kids!"
Walkable Rockridge and Crocker Highland in Demand - The Numbers - Curbed SF

"As more buyers migrate to the sunny side of the Bay from San Francisco, a higher demand is placed on a home with an easy walk to coffee, restaurants and public transportation. Lifestyle can often trump home size in importance." Zillow confirms: Rockridge home index values are up 14% year-over-year; in Crocker Highlands, they're up 16.9%"

smooches!

Old 05-15-2013, 04:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
I like oakland and own a home in nicer walkable area of oakland.
I love hipsters ! I want to hug them and say "thank you for increasing my property values ,you crazy kids!"
Walkable Rockridge and Crocker Highland in Demand - The Numbers - Curbed SF

"As more buyers migrate to the sunny side of the Bay from San Francisco, a higher demand is placed on a home with an easy walk to coffee, restaurants and public transportation. Lifestyle can often trump home size in importance." Zillow confirms: Rockridge home index values are up 14% year-over-year; in Crocker Highlands, they're up 16.9%"

smooches!
This is a theme for the under 30-set. Hipster or not. More and more "young" people don't own cars anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
According to one definition I looked up, the skater thing is considered a subset of "hipster". Go figure.

Here's another definition, for future reference. The word seems to indicate creative, liberal, counter-culture-ish 20- and 30-somethings. Doesn't seem like anything new, except for the fashion choices.

Urban Dictionary: hipster
I don't think skaters are typically hipsters. Some are.

Hipster for me: they share a common clothing style and certain interests. But more importantly, they also think they invented and or are pioneers all of the interests they have.

You can ride a bike, drink artisan beer or coffee, and wear thrift shop clothing without being a hipster.

My dad had a great definition of hipsters. "Hippies without a cause!"

Old 05-15-2013, 05:50 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the12ronin View Post
What a joke.

I give you all, hipster #2.

I'm from NJ, and I didn't even know what a hipster was until I moved out of state 6 years ago. They don't exist on the shore, or didn't when I lived there.

I could never be a hipster. I care far too little about trends, fashion sense, or DIY. I like 90s rap and trance music among others like classical and ambient.

Nay, nay, this one would never be mistaken for a hipster.
Funny you say this. This is exactly how I am. Maybe online I come off sounding like a hipster because I'm pretty progressive, liberal, and opinionated, but if you saw me in person expecting tattoos, skinny jeans, and the stereotypical get-up with flannels and good-will T shirts, you'd probably be disappointed. I don't listen to obscure indie rock bands or religiously watch TV shows like Portlandia either, but I am pretty rabid Trance/House/Techno fan and go to shows all the time- have since I was a teenager. I've never really been one to follow any huge groups of people or fashion trends and I've pretty much always been that way. For work, I tend to dress pretty conservatively too.

I think people throw the word hipster around way too much anyway- it's a catch all word that people throw out as an insult. In my experience, most hipsters can be pretty nice people, and I try not to judge people on how they dress or what they're into. What bothers me is obnoxious, loud, rude, and arrogant people. Maybe these certain hispters that act that way just stand out more because of their ridiculous wardrobes?

Old 05-16-2013, 05:17 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
What bothers me is obnoxious, loud, rude, and arrogant people. Maybe these certain hispters that act that way just stand out more because of their ridiculous wardrobes?
Those aren't really hipsters - more like druggies. Modern hipster is the latest version of heroin chic, subbing lattes for smack.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:07 PM

249 posts, read 443,654 times
No, they are. Just sans the loud adjective.

obnoxious

rude

arrogant

Old 05-18-2013, 12:34 PM

104 posts, read 190,334 times
How about if the wannabes and hipsters take East Oakland from the gangs and leave the nicer parts of the city intact? I think that would be an improvement.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:26 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtimessf View Post
How about if the wannabes and hipsters take East Oakland from the gangs and leave the nicer parts of the city intact? I think that would be an improvement.
Have you been to East Oakland?

Old 05-18-2013, 01:50 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the12ronin View Post
^said hipster

and hipsters are the kings and queens of bigotry..just so we're stating truths here. And they are judged on the content of their character, or lack thereof, not their clothes.

We just rank on their clothes really because of how smug they are about their attire. Comes with the territory when you fail to exhibit any measurable amount of grace or class.
Oh BS....try living outside of your Bay Area bubble in the rest of the country for awhile and see how judgmental people can truly be. "Hipsters" are harmless and no more judgmental than the average 20-something, and certainly not more judgmental than yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland