Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 03:07 PM

173 posts, read 657,469 times

Advertisements

Someone on here mentioned that the area along Rte. 680 is, in general, very desirable for families. I see many home prices in the 500's, so naturally I am excited .

I am aware it is mostly considered the "suburbia" with school districts being all good. I could spend some time reading up on differences between Walnut Creek, Alamo, Danville, San Ramon, Dublin, Pleasanton, and Livermore, but would be happier if the experts on here chimed in.

What makes these towns stand out with regards to one another? Any awesome parks, bike paths, public pools, or charming lakes or store corners? Which town has the most sidewalks, or any specific neighborhoods that you know of where kids still play outside and run around the neighborhood? Any major immigrant groups here or there? Curious to learn.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 10:42 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
There really isn't that much difference, they're just suburbs. You go to one suburb and you pretty much have been to most suburbs. Walnut Creek is probably the most unique because it has a popular downtown that neighboring towns go to and the houses are generally older. Alamo is really quiet and for the super rich. Otherwise, Danville/San Ramon have more newer tract homes; and Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore have more townhouses mix with the older homes.

The Iron Horse Trail runs thru several towns including Walnut Creek, Alamo, and Danville. You can go hiking in Mt. Diablo. IMO, there is nothing that distinctive about each town that'd make it a must-live over another, factors like proximity to job, schools, price, etc probably take precedent when it comes to the 680 corridor.

Btw, are you sure there are many $500k-ish homes along that route? Maybe some townhouses down in Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore,but I can't imagine there are but a few further north.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:07 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I live in this area and have family that lives in other cities along 680. I consider it all hometown since it rarely takes me more than 30 minutes to get anywhere by car unless it's rush hour. I'm happy to not be living super close to any hot spots since I can go to them if I want but not deal with everyone crowding my private turf because they want to be there too .

Beb0p is right, there are not many $500k places that are going to be anything special in the area. Maybe some older, smaller places in decidedly un-hot spot locations. But you will still live in the area so if that's what's important then you won't be disappointed.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:11 AM

10,350 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
There really isn't that much difference, they're just suburbs. You go to one suburb and you pretty much have been to most suburbs. Walnut Creek is probably the most unique because it has a popular downtown that neighboring towns go to and the houses are generally older. Alamo is really quiet and for the super rich. Otherwise, Danville/San Ramon have more newer tract homes; and Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore have more townhouses mix with the older homes.

The Iron Horse Trail runs thru several towns including Walnut Creek, Alamo, and Danville. You can go hiking in Mt. Diablo. IMO, there is nothing that distinctive about each town that'd make it a must-live over another, factors like proximity to job, schools, price, etc probably take precedent when it comes to the 680 corridor.

Btw, are you sure there are many $500k-ish homes along that route? Maybe some townhouses down in Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore,but I can't imagine there are but a few further north.
There aren't that many townhouses in Pleasanton. It's just as pricey as the other towns. Dublin is another story though.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:09 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
I don't really think Danville and San Ramon are all that similar. Danville has a really nice downtown and lots of beautiful custom homes while San Ramon is a much more stereotypical California suburb without as much charm or character.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:47 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
They all are nice with good schools.

I'd say Livermore is more isolated than the rest and the traffic is atrocious along that stretch of 580, one of the worst spots in the entire region.

Dublin, San Ramon, and Alamo don't have any type of "Main St" downtown like the rest do.

Pleasanton/Dublin have a giant, upscale indoor mall.

Pleasanton/Livermore have a lot of new developments.

Alamo/Danville are RICH.

Walnut Creek offers the most amenities and things to do with it's large downtown and easier access to SF/Oak. Although Pleasanton has fairly good access too.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:22 PM

291 posts, read 958,040 times
All of these town are pretty similar and super family friendly with excellent schools. I don't think you will find single family homes around $500k, unless it is near the railroad tracks or other sketchy part of town. Maybe some condos or town-homes might be available at that price range.

Here is my description of what I know about the area:

Livermore: has over 50 wineries and a super cute downtown filled with wine bars/tasting rooms, mom-pop shops and restaurants. There are a few micro-breweries popping up as well. There is a super nice community center as well with a large aquatic center. Check out LARPD for more info on many trails and parks the area has to offer. Livermore also has Lake Del Valle, which is a beautiful place for hiking, biking, swimming or boating/Kayaking. People are definitely nice and friendly without being snobbish. It is a very laid back place. There is no real reason to leave Livermore for much. The town has a large Outlet Mall and some other box stores. There are also two farmers markets, one year round and one seasonal. The biggest employers are the labs (Sandia, Food lab, and Lawrence Livermore National Lab).

Pleasanton: has a lot of old money and a sense of entitlement. People are a bit snobbish IMO. It has a cute downtown with an amazing year round farmers market on Saturdays. There are not a lot of new home developments in Pleasanton so homes tend to be a few years old. There are a lot of business in the area too including Oracle, SAP, Safeway to name a few.

Dublin has lots of strip malls and box stores. There is also a large Asian community with great places for dim sum and other Asian restaurants/bakeries. The wind seems to pick up a lot in Dublin and it can be a bit uncomfortable. There is a large number of town-homes and condos in the area as well.

San Ramon is another business area in the TriValley including Chevron, San Ramon Medical Center, AT&T among others. It seems very spread out to me but honestly I haven't spend much time there so I can't comment. I only go there occasionally to go to Whole Foods or for a doctors appointment at the Medical Center. Same thing with Danville so I will let others make comments.

Here is some additional info on the Tri-Valley cities:
Welcome to Tri-Valley, California your vacation destination

Old 08-15-2013, 11:10 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSunset View Post
All of these town are pretty similar and super family friendly with excellent schools. I don't think you will find single family homes around $500k, unless it is near the railroad tracks or other sketchy part of town. Maybe some condos or town-homes might be available at that price range.

Here is my description of what I know about the area:

Livermore: has over 50 wineries and a super cute downtown filled with wine bars/tasting rooms, mom-pop shops and restaurants. There are a few micro-breweries popping up as well. There is a super nice community center as well with a large aquatic center. Check out LARPD for more info on many trails and parks the area has to offer. Livermore also has Lake Del Valle, which is a beautiful place for hiking, biking, swimming or boating/Kayaking. People are definitely nice and friendly without being snobbish. It is a very laid back place. There is no real reason to leave Livermore for much. The town has a large Outlet Mall and some other box stores. There are also two farmers markets, one year round and one seasonal. The biggest employers are the labs (Sandia, Food lab, and Lawrence Livermore National Lab).

Pleasanton: has a lot of old money and a sense of entitlement. People are a bit snobbish IMO. It has a cute downtown with an amazing year round farmers market on Saturdays. There are not a lot of new home developments in Pleasanton so homes tend to be a few years old. There are a lot of business in the area too including Oracle, SAP, Safeway to name a few.

Dublin has lots of strip malls and box stores. There is also a large Asian community with great places for dim sum and other Asian restaurants/bakeries. The wind seems to pick up a lot in Dublin and it can be a bit uncomfortable. There is a large number of town-homes and condos in the area as well.

San Ramon is another business area in the TriValley including Chevron, San Ramon Medical Center, AT&T among others. It seems very spread out to me but honestly I haven't spend much time there so I can't comment. I only go there occasionally to go to Whole Foods or for a doctors appointment at the Medical Center. Same thing with Danville so I will let others make comments.

Here is some additional info on the Tri-Valley cities:
Welcome to Tri-Valley, California your vacation destination
As far as Livermore's downtown. Only got to experience it once, and man, what a great downtown. It definitely has a small town appeal, and they have pride in their downtown. Just wonderful, wish I had more time to experience it, but we were on a business meeting, not leisure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland