Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 12:57 PM

295 posts, read 461,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamadon1 View Post
Which is why we should tax land, not the buildings on it. Incentivize people to use land efficiently instead of just sitting on empty/parking lots in prime downtown areas.
I agree 100%. We also need to keep developers to their schedule instead of giving them unlimited extensions on their approved projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 12:57 PM

343 posts, read 444,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooliemonster View Post
I hadn't heard of the Broadway Valdez plan, but here is a good document describing the idea.
http://www2.oaklandnet.com/oakca1/gr.../oak034847.pdf

However, I'm not a fan of grandiose redevelopment. Just upzone the area, cut red tape, make it easy for an area to develop organically. Add improved transit -- maybe some light rail lines on major thoroughfares like San Pablo to Berkeley/Richmond and Broadway through JLS and Alameda. BART is just commuter rail outside of SF. I dunno. I'm still going off my couple visits; once I move in a few weeks I will be making detailed surveys and brainstorming for my Sim City East Bay sketches
Yeah the idea that the city can or should micromanage every parcel of land is rather ridiculous. The new Sprouts grocery doesn't really fit the plan in any way, but the city couldn't say no to a new grocery store on Broadway so it's going in. What gets built will be what developers are willing to build, not the exact model that the city wants in its master plan.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:27 PM

Study from the city discussing this topic - http://www2.oaklandnet.com/oakca1/gr.../oak043663.pdf

Old 10-30-2013, 02:53 PM

4 posts, read 3,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirclingLogan View Post
That's affordable housing. Which is fine. But, it's not what Oakland needs right now. That just shifts low income people around within the city. New, market-rate housing will attract people from outside the city, help the downtown restaurants thrive and increase the tax base.
We DO need the affordable housing, and jobs. Here is why: The homeowners who bought their houses in Oakland decades ago are starting to sell them. When they leave, upper middle class SF transplants move in. Rents go up. Low income renters are forced out of their old neighborhoods because they can no longer pay the rent (or their apartment is sold). Now in my opinion, squeezing out the poor is only moving the problem around from one ghetto to another. Meanwhile, there will be a whole new stream of rich yuppies to rob.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blukatgrl View Post
We DO need the affordable housing, and jobs.
And who should pay for that?

Old 10-30-2013, 09:31 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blukatgrl View Post
We DO need the affordable housing, and jobs. Here is why: The homeowners who bought their houses in Oakland decades ago are starting to sell them. When they leave, upper middle class SF transplants move in. Rents go up. Low income renters are forced out of their old neighborhoods because they can no longer pay the rent (or their apartment is sold). Now in my opinion, squeezing out the poor is only moving the problem around from one ghetto to another. Meanwhile, there will be a whole new stream of rich yuppies to rob.
i disagree.Oakland needs more wealthy households as a tax base for more police ,better schools etc. poor families use more county and city resources and pay much less (if any) in taxes.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:02 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
You're both wrong. Oakland needs a healthier middle class.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
You're both wrong. Oakland needs a healthier middle class.
100% agreed.

Also surprised no one mentioned the MacArthur transit village.

http://sfist.com/2013/09/13/macarthu...llage_brea.php

It looks iffy for Broadway Valdez to get housing, but I hope infill projects are developed. There are meetings in the coming weeks about it. There was one tonight as well.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
100% agreed.

Also surprised no one mentioned the MacArthur transit village.

MacArthur BART Transit Village Breaks Ground (Again) Next Week: SFist

It looks iffy for Broadway Valdez to get housing, but I hope infill projects are developed. There are meetings in the coming weeks about it. There was one tonight as well.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.
MacArthur transit village is a good example why we have so little housing construction. It took 20 years to get started and before any housing could be built, we had to build a giant parking garage to replace parking spots on a 1:1 basis. The only housing under construction now is subsidized affordable units. BV has been years of meetings full of residents demanding community benefits and affordable housing and city staff demanding retail space when there isn't demand for it. So nothing gets built.

Last edited by Obamadon1; 10-31-2013 at 11:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland