Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 12:16 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirclingLogan View Post
East and West Oakland can be pretty sketchy, for sure, and the level of violence and crime should not be accepted by a developed, civilized society. However, a white girl grabbing tacos on a Saturday afternoon isn't in any particular danger.
Unless she gets hit by a stray bullet. Which could happen in other places, but is way more likely to happen in East Oakland.

Yes, there are many things about many parts of Oakland that are awesome, and yes, some areas are virtually crime free while others have extremely high crime rates. I'd agree that it's ridiculous to say avoid all of Oakland. However, she didn't. She said avoid East and West Oakland.

I don't know about you, but I'm not going to venture into the area of town most responsible for the city's high murder rate just because it has the newest hot taco shop. And I certainly wouldn't recommend a newcomer do that.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:57 AM

339 posts, read 516,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Unless she gets hit by a stray bullet. Which could happen in other places, but is way more likely to happen in East Oakland.
The % increase of likelihood of getting hit by a stray bullet by simply spending an afternoon in East Oakland vs. Rockridge is essentially zero. Even if you live in Deep East, your chance of getting hit by a stray bullet is nearly zero. Property crime, muggings and general harassment are a much bigger issue.
Quote:
I don't know about you, but I'm not going to venture into the area of town most responsible for the city's high murder rate just because it has the newest hot taco shop. And I certainly wouldn't recommend a newcomer do that.
*Shrug*. Brown Sugar Kitchen, FuseBox and B-Side BBQ in West Oakland are always full of the upwardly mobile from Rockridge, Uptown and JLS. They don't seem to have too many issues. East Oakland generally doesn't have much to draw the yuppie class, but when it inevitably does, I doubt they'll have many problems there either.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirclingLogan View Post
The % increase of likelihood of getting hit by a stray bullet by simply spending an afternoon in East Oakland vs. Rockridge is essentially zero. Even if you live in Deep East, your chance of getting hit by a stray bullet is nearly zero. Property crime, muggings and general harassment are a much bigger issue.
I don't want to get mugged or harassed either.

Quote:
*Shrug*. Brown Sugar Kitchen, FuseBox and B-Side BBQ in West Oakland are always full of the upwardly mobile from Rockridge, Uptown and JLS. They don't seem to have too many issues. East Oakland generally doesn't have much to draw the yuppie class, but when it inevitably does, I doubt they'll have many problems there either.
Good for them, but I'm still not recommending going into high crime areas to eat.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:28 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Cool. Then stay out of the Tenderloin in SF and encourage everyone else to do the same thing.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Cool. Then stay out of the Tenderloin in SF and encourage everyone else to do the same thing.
Trust me, I do avoid the TL as much as possible.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:37 AM

Stay out of Union Square too. It's steps from the Tenderloin.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Stay out of Union Square too. It's steps from the Tenderloin.
What exactly are you getting at here?

Old 11-27-2013, 04:42 PM

You don't want to get mugged or harassed, so you avoid ALL of East/West Oakland, assuming it's ALL dangerous. Not sure why you don't avoid Union Square when it's right next to the Tenderloin, if you're really trying to be safe.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
You don't want to get mugged or harassed, so you avoid ALL of East/West Oakland, assuming it's ALL dangerous. Not sure why you don't avoid Union Square when it's right next to the Tenderloin, if you're really trying to be safe.
You are jumping to conclusions.

I never said I assumed that ALL of East and West Oakland was dangerous. But enough happens there that at this point I'm not going to go out of my way to go to places there, and I don't feel like I should be required to recommend it.

I also never said whether or not I hang out in Union Square; I didn't see the point in answering either way at that point it became clear that you had an axe to grind. Not everyone shares your risk tolerance, but there's no reason to be sarcastic or bitter about it.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:27 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Who gives a **** what the article says. Stop being sensitive scenesters. Get a real job, make some money, and live your life.

Oaklanders are more problems with self image than people in Detroit, who will just punch you in the face.

Oakland is hipstered out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland