Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 18,756 times

Advertisements

I am about to move to Eureka to go to Humboldt University, and I cant seem to find any jobs above working at Rite Aid!! I have to much experiance and wayy to much schooling for that (No offence to the people who work at Rite Aid). If you work in Riverside, you work on dirt bikes. If you work in orange county you work at a law firm. Where do the people of Eureka work? Well....besides growing weed!!

Old 11-20-2007, 07:28 PM

718 posts, read 2,693,897 times
well you cant cut down the forest so you cant be a lumber jack. do you have enough money to buy a fishing boat? probably not. which leaves two options. work a crummy job or grow weed in the woods with the others.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:13 PM

875 posts, read 1,100,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyRican View Post
I am about to move to Eureka to go to Humboldt University, and I cant seem to find any jobs above working at Rite Aid!! I have to much experiance and wayy to much schooling for that (No offence to the people who work at Rite Aid). If you work in Riverside, you work on dirt bikes. If you work in orange county you work at a law firm. Where do the people of Eureka work? Well....besides growing weed!!
You meet some of the hippyish locals and make a fortune trimming weed.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:45 AM

30,448 posts, read 52,148,652 times
What about getting a job at the college? They probably have work-study programs, or at least a student employment center. Also lots of hospitals in the area, due to the medical & nursing programs at HSU... my best friend is a nursing graduate, and worked at a local hospital while attending Humboldt. Oh, and if you need a job just to tide you over, don't consider yourself "too good" for anything! I have a Master's degree, and just took a temporary clerical job that pays $10/hr. - better than nothing, at least while I wait for a job in my field (which can take months). Trust me, you won't be the only educated person at Rite-Aid.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:33 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,252,244 times
Quote:

To expand on my comments which were pulled the other day, your post would indicate a severe problem with accurate written communications (spelling and punctuation) and a sense of entitlement ("to much experiance and wayy to much schooling") that your writing does much to dispute.

If you came to me with an application which displayed these same problems I would not hire you for any job where writing was required. And I would be smart enough to test for these skills prior to a hire, to eliminate the possibility of there having been some kind of assistance in filling out the application. The fact that the best job that you have been offered is working for Rite Aid (and by the way, on the surface there is nothing wrong with that) may indicate that the employers of Humbolt may see some of the same issues that I have seen from your post.

My suggestion would be that if your post is a true reflection of your written communication skills, then you may benefit from working on improving said skills, while at the same time a downward adjustment of your personal perception of the value of your current experience and education may be in order.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:44 AM

175 posts, read 732,928 times
Quote:

Well if you fill out a job application with as many typos and misspellings as in your post, then maybe that is the reason why you can't find a job? Also, perhaps, you need more humility in your attitude too. Interviewers can pick up on arrogance really fast.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:58 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,879,508 times
Don't pay any attention to those guys.

Just wear a short skirt, bat your eyelids, and smile a lot.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:04 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,820,742 times
Sorry for the tone of some of these answers. Seriously, if you have lined up a job of ANY kind before moving here, you are doing well as most employers here won't even waste time talking to you until you're right in front of them. If you're jobsearching online, try CALJOBS and Craig's and for heaven's sake, get a new screenname. Yours would not inspire confidence in a business setting. CONCUR with Gizmo980, excellent advice. The Walgreens here (as opposed to RiteAid) pays $10 an hour to start in an area where many jobs are minimum wage. Good luck!

Old 11-24-2007, 05:11 PM

60 posts, read 436,423 times
I have to agree with the comments on spelling errors. Most employers would move your application to the bottom of the pile as soon as they detected any problem with communication skills, even if you were very qualified in all other ways.

On another note, I used to live in a college town that had an overeducated population competing for low paying jobs. This is an unfortunate reality in some areas, and all the more reason to hone your skills in every area so you can stand out from the crowd. Best of luck!

Old 11-24-2007, 09:26 PM

158 posts, read 601,802 times
Boy, these are some really great answers! This really shows the integrity and willingness to help people that the California boards really want to offer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland