Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 09:20 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,710,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Well the low temps are in the 30s, but that's in the early morning hours. In the evening, it's in the 40s and 50s during the hours you're likely to burn. It's not absolutely necessary to burn a fire, just fun, and if that causes public health problems, I prefer people don't burn fires.
Actually it's already in the 30's many nights when we have a fire going. Either way it's cold enough at night for one and like I've already said, we light them for heat as do others i know do. I'm not sure why some of you don't get people light fires for heat too. There really isn't anything "fun" about buying wood, lighting a fire, maintaining a fire, then cleaning up the fireplace and area around it IMO . I'd rather just run my heater but then my bill would be upwards of $500 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 10:36 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,565,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
And it's been said over and over if all you have to heat your home is a wood fire, you are spared from spare the air no burn nights. But most of us have furnaces. We are not allowed to burn wood during those times.
Ah! So, OP, rip out that furnace and there you go! LOL! Sounds like something I'd do...

Old 01-04-2014, 10:49 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,861,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
And it's been said over and over if all you have to heat your home is a wood fire, you are spared from spare the air no burn nights. But most of us have furnaces. We are not allowed to burn wood during those times.
So if the fire narcs come, one can just disable the furnace and claim need?

Old 01-06-2014, 10:05 AM

3,475 posts, read 5,280,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Actually it's already in the 30's many nights when we have a fire going. Either way it's cold enough at night for one and like I've already said, we light them for heat as do others i know do. I'm not sure why some of you don't get people light fires for heat too. There really isn't anything "fun" about buying wood, lighting a fire, maintaining a fire, then cleaning up the fireplace and area around it IMO . I'd rather just run my heater but then my bill would be upwards of $500 a month.
Why does your house get so cold? You may do better investing in insulation and paying that off for far less than $500 a month. Also, you can tank up on daytime warmth by making sure to keep your curtains and blinds open so that the sun can shine into your house (unless you're facing away from the sun, in which case it's just tough to keep a house warm in the winter). Lastly, portable heaters can keep down your electric bills by heating only a small area where you sit, without burning a fire. Wood fires aren't really that efficient for warming a home anyway, and the particulates are really bad for sensitive people. My husband was born with Cystic Fibrosis and suffers just from walking down a street past someone holding a cigarette. Unless you have respiratory problems, you have no idea how much just your single fire can negatively impact a neighbor's health. There are kinder ways of keeping warm without imposing on the health of others; I kindly urge you to look into them for the sake of those around you.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:33 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,554,291 times
Quote:
A few posts ago it was $400, now it's $500. I'm sorry, but if you are running up a bill that high to heat a house in the BAY AREA there is something seriously wrong. My sister in Madison, WISCONSIN heated a large 3-bedroom, poorly insulated older home for about that much one winter, and moved out ASAP due to the heating bills. Now she spends about $300/month in a similar size home with modern insulation. It was -25 degrees in Wisconsin a few nights ago.

Go to Goodwill and buy a sweater for $5 or something.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
A few posts ago it was $400, now it's $500. I'm sorry, but if you are running up a bill that high to heat a house in the BAY AREA there is something seriously wrong. My sister in Madison, WISCONSIN heated a large 3-bedroom, poorly insulated older home for about that much one winter, and moved out ASAP due to the heating bills. Now she spends about $300/month in a similar size home with modern insulation. It was -25 degrees in Wisconsin a few nights ago.

Go to Goodwill and buy a sweater for $5 or something.
I said my bill WOULD be upwards of $500 if I ran it as much as I wanted to. I said it's ALREADY $400. mod cut The $400 is an actual amount the bill is. $500 is the amount the bill "would likely" be. And if you had taken to the time to process what I wrote you would have saw that I indicated that a really old inefficient electric heater is the likely the cause for my high bills. Also my apartment is surrounded by tall redwoods so it doesn't warm up much during the day.

mod cut I have two newborn babies, so excuse me if I try to keep them warm. If you go to the Ca forum thread talking about electric bills this winter $300+ bills are not unheard of and I doubt any of them are trying to keep twin newborns warm all day and all night in their home.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-08-2014 at 04:59 AM..

Old 01-08-2014, 04:53 AM

6,418 posts, read 8,292,105 times
Why Don't You Try This?: How to Heat Your Room for 15 Cents a Day

Old 01-08-2014, 11:31 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,996,188 times
Quote:
I said my bill WOULD be upwards of $500 if I ran it as much as I wanted to. I said it's ALREADY $400. mod cut The $400 is an actual amount the bill is. $500 is the amount the bill "would likely" be. And if you had taken to the time to process what I wrote you would have saw that I indicated that a really old inefficient electric heater is the likely the cause for my high bills. Also my apartment is surrounded by tall redwoods so it doesn't warm up much during the day.

mod cut I have two newborn babies, so excuse me if I try to keep them warm. If you go to the Ca forum thread talking about electric bills this winter $300+ bills are not unheard of and I doubt any of them are trying to keep twin newborns warm all day and all night in their home.
Here is a heater that will probably be more efficient than your old one from the 80s. We use these all the time now, I sleep with them on, and they do well to heat a room and best of all are silent. You just have to remember to turn it off because they are so quiet. They are inexpensive too.

Amazon.com - DeLonghi EW7707CM Safeheat 1500W ComforTemp Portable Oil-Filled Radiator

Old 01-08-2014, 11:39 AM

3,475 posts, read 5,280,305 times
Quote:

Woah! If you have two newborn babies, then you definitely don't want to be burning wood fires. Unfiltered wood smoke is a terrible thing for them to breathe in. The damage you are doing to them would be even more reason than protecting the general public. Just get a new heater and pay it off in installments. The money you save on heating bills will make it pay for itself! Spending $400 or more on heating a normal sized house in the Bay Area is ridiculous -- you should be able to cut that in half. And to think we've been having above average temps well into the 60s, which is basically normal SoCal winter weather. That sort of bill in an unusually warm winter doesn't make sense. You're throwing money down the drain.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
Here is a heater that will probably be more efficient than your old one from the 80s. We use these all the time now, I sleep with them on, and they do well to heat a room and best of all are silent. You just have to remember to turn it off because they are so quiet. They are inexpensive too.

Amazon.com - DeLonghi EW7707CM Safeheat 1500W ComforTemp Portable Oil-Filled Radiator
We had one of those but it broke recently. Those work good in the bedrooms and I liked it because it was quiet but it's mainly the living room/dining room that is the issue. Space heaters don't really do a good job as it has higher ceilings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland