Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 09:24 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrancis View Post
Is 30/hr + realistic for a Carpenter with 15+ years of experience? More? Less?
If you are union it pays about $40 plus vacation. I know a lot of people are anti-union but it does pay near double that of non union. I get $3000 a month on my union retirement alone.
The SF area is very expensive. I am retired now but last year I worked in San Jose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 10:35 AM

19 posts, read 21,739 times
thanks ferretkona!
He isn't union, because here in Maine its just moot, the closest UBC is NH I think. How does he join the union, do you know? I have looked a little on their website, but it's not exactly a lace invitation, ya know? LOL.

Would it be advantageous for him to start the process here or NH before we head out that way, you think? I really am just plain ignorant to the whole union thing in general, but I think it could be really good for the hubby.

So, any info you could offer about the whole concept would be super helpful

As far as Santa Rosa, it sure seems nice and so does Petaluma, but Tracy at this point makes more sense I think, since it looks like a lot of work is in east bay and/or south bay. And, it's exciting to see that a pool and a pretty large home are a possibility there for us. I just worry that there isn't much goin on there? Just looking for a nice neighborhood for little kids (mine are ages 1-9y), with people like us I guess. and honestly, driving an hour to work is no skin off our tomato, happens here in maine all the time.

Again, keep the ideas and advice coming, I truly appreciate it!

Old 01-15-2014, 12:52 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrancis View Post
thanks ferretkona!
He isn't union, because here in Maine its just moot, the closest UBC is NH I think. How does he join the union, do you know? I have looked a little on their website, but it's not exactly a lace invitation, ya know? LOL.

Would it be advantageous for him to start the process here or NH before we head out that way, you think? I really am just plain ignorant to the whole union thing in general, but I think it could be really good for the hubby.

So, any info you could offer about the whole concept would be super helpful

As far as Santa Rosa, it sure seems nice and so does Petaluma, but Tracy at this point makes more sense I think, since it looks like a lot of work is in east bay and/or south bay. And, it's exciting to see that a pool and a pretty large home are a possibility there for us. I just worry that there isn't much goin on there? Just looking for a nice neighborhood for little kids (mine are ages 1-9y), with people like us I guess. and honestly, driving an hour to work is no skin off our tomato, happens here in maine all the time.

Again, keep the ideas and advice coming, I truly appreciate it!

Just for grins, I went to the Tracy Chamber of Commerce website, so I could show you what type of businesses are in and around Tracy. This is straight from their website:

Visiting Tracy, CA

Tracy’s ideal location within Northern California places it within proximity to some of the region’s most popular attractions. In fact, within 100 miles of the city residents and visitors can reach Old Sacramento, California Wine Country and the lure of San Francisco. Read More

So, the Tracy Chamber of Commerce's pitch to get you to visit Tracy, is to tell you that you can go somewhere interesting by driving 100 miles away from it.

If that don't say it all.....I don't know what would lol!

My sister lived in Tracy, as did a good friend of mine. They both left. Just sayin'. It might be a shorter commute, but would it be worth it?

Obviously, you know what's more important for your family's happiness. Kids can always find friends and fun, though, so you probably won't have to worry about that.

You might want to check out the county healthcare in both locations. Different counties are better off financially than others and the services reflect this. Also, of course, check out the schools, too. I can't advise you on either of those things.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:58 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,499,077 times
Tracy is one of the most depressing towns I have ever visited. I don't think you want to sign up for that. Even Manteca and Los Banos seem nicer in comparison, which speaks volumes about Tracy...

Old 01-16-2014, 12:19 AM

29 posts, read 65,824 times
You're looking at a wide area and each of these communities are very different.
What are your interests? When you ask if you'll be bored: what type of things would your family want to be involved with? Do you want to live near the beach? Near the mountains? Do you like winter sports or summer lakeside camping? Just wondering because if you can give more of an idea of these things it's easier to respond to your questions about community.

I drive back and forth from the Mendocino area to Bay Area ( Campbell) regularly so can give you some ideas about those communities ( Petaluma, Healdsburg, Santa Rosa) as well as Bay Area ( San Jose, Campbell,
Peninsula, Santa Cruz)
Looking forward to your response.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:53 PM

Im so pissed. I just spent forever replying, and it wouldn't post.... FML

Old 01-16-2014, 07:11 PM

So, now I'm crabby, about my post, about my 9 year old with aspergers, about Tracy lol...

I will try not to bleed that into my questions and posts, bear with me!

nclora,
I'm not sure what it is we are searching for to be 100% honest. When we started, it was better weather and a change of pace from country bumpkin maine. Thought it would be nice to have a little taste of suburbia and sunshine.

We do like to camp, fish, beach it, would like my kids (and myself hehe) to try surfing, love music, really good food, we do like to ski/snowboard but can't very often due to the expense and the whole 3 kids under the age of 4 thing. Part of our goal is to change things up some, try some new activities/hobbies... What are people doin for fun!?

I just want a friendly neighborhood, where my kiddos can make friends close by, ride bikes/walk to a friends. A community that is family oriented, because here it seems hard to make friends/find friends with kiddos who want to do things more family oriented... they just want to ditch the kids with a sitter and drink around here it feels like. Not easy to make connections. I'm not saying I don't like to drink or have adult fun time, just want a full life that includes both sides I guess.

It's hard to say what we would like to be involved in, because I kinda don't know whats out there... A burning question that came to me today as I was googling til my eyes bled.... What is it that the nicer areas (dublin, pleasanton, the almighty walnut creek, san ramon, etc, etc) offer/have that places like Brentwood, Tracy, Vacaville don't? I hope that didn't sound rude... I really am just trying to figure this all out, and my head is just spinning, so many conflicting opinions out here.... LOL

Old 01-16-2014, 11:19 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I realized I forgot to add a link to 4 bedroom houses listed on Craigslist in Santa Rosa for max $2000:

SF bay area apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

As far as your question:

What is it that the nicer areas (dublin, pleasanton, the almighty walnut creek, san ramon, etc, etc) offer/have that places like Brentwood, Tracy, Vacaville don't?

Dublin, Pleasanton, San Ramon and Walnut Creek are bedroom communities. These are not agriculture business towns, hence no agriculture workers = lower number of low income residents. Shall I say, more white collar type residents. I've never heard of any gang activity in these areas.

Your referring to Walnut Creek as the "almighty" Walnut Creek is a bit offensive. People here will recommend it for a reason. Just as they won't recommend you move to an area with violent gang activity, even though it's very affordable. You asked, you got answers. Like anywhere, you get what you pay for. If you can't afford the best areas, you will have to look somewhere else. That's true anywhere. I'm sure you could list areas around where you live that you would recommend and others you wouldn't, and the rentals in the best/most convenient locations will cost more than places farther out. Right?

Moving on...Tracy is a blue collar, agricultural area, with a lower income population. Same for Vacaville. You will hear about gang activity in these areas. Check out the City-Data info for these towns and look at the stats for income, education, etc. I don't know anything about Brentwood, so I can't comment on that.

When you get a large low-income population, unfortunately, you usually also have higher crime.

So, to get what you can afford in the Bay Area, you will have to commute farther or live somewhere that's not as desirable.

By the way, for services for your son, there are regional centers in CA:

Lookup Regional Centers by County

Old 01-17-2014, 08:22 AM

Im sorry about the walnut creek thing- it really is beautiful there and some of my frustration comes from wishing I could afford it on one salary, a carpenter salary at that. Essentially jealous, lol. Again, sorry if it was offensive. It just pops up all over the forum as a sort of hot spot.

I really appreciate your answer, it was exactly what I needed. I was able to finally put it into perspective with places around here. One of the other larger cities here in maine, everyone knows is terrible, armpit of the area kind of thing, but if you didn't know, you might think it was ok with the revitalizing they're doing in main areas of the city, but drive 5 miles and it's crime & crack kinda thing.... So i get it now.

And actually, gang activity is one of my major concerns, especially with my son who will struggle to find acceptance, etc etc. Don't want him to fall into that cliche I suppose.

And btw- thanks so much for the tip on the regional centers, I will look into those.

As far as Santa Rosa- again, what are your thoughts about the carpentry thing, someone else mentioned that most of the work in that industry is happening toward the south bay area, would that be torture for the hubby?

Old 01-17-2014, 08:29 AM

quick question, clayton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland