Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 07:27 PM

18 posts, read 25,400 times

Advertisements

I am naive on what to wear for the winter season.
Florida is quite different.
I do want to keep very warm but also have stylish pieces if that is possible.
I need recommendations on shoes, jackets, everything-& for my young children.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 08:13 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Bring layers, pants, shirts, sweaters and jackets

Old 02-02-2014, 08:24 PM

140 posts, read 436,578 times
Fashion - now this is an important topic!

Fleece coats, windbreakers, Ugg boots or casual sneakers, long sleeve shirts, skinny pants, & an undershirt that can double as outerwear. Layers are key here. It can be up to 77 high during day, and usually no colder than 42 at night during our winters. REI sells packable rain jackets & rain pants. If serious about getting out, hiking, and not letting our winter "rainy" season stop you (& we finally we got our 1st rain for the season just today), then rain pants are wonderful. My husband bikes in the rain, and uses rain pants. Very few places have a "dress code" here, but I still like to personally wear a nice gabardine Burberry coat which is my style, but see few others in those. Since you are from Florida, you must have all kinds of rain gear already. Fashion colors for our area tend to run earthy: browns, blues, khaki, olive, etc.

I also special ordered for everyone in my family their own Windbrellas - umbrellas that don't fall apart in wind. I don't go anywhere for travel without our Windbrellas if I know rain is definitely in the forecast.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:22 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
A wool coat and sweater in winter, and even in spring, and for foggy summer nights. You can have a couple of nice, light cashmere sweaters to wear at night or in winter during the day, under a wool coat or jacket. In winter, the temps get down to 45 degrees during the day. Colder at night due to the fog. It's a damp, penetrating cold. And good raingear is a must during the heavy Pacific storms. Though with the long drought, that's not a concern for now.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:59 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromFL2CA View Post
I am naive on what to wear for the winter season.
I do want to keep very warm but also have stylish pieces if that is possible.
Get a 49ers hoodie, a Giants hoodie and a Warriors hoodie. On the coldest windiest days you might need to wear all 3 to keep warm.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine658 View Post
Fashion - now this is an important topic!

Fleece coats, windbreakers, Ugg boots or casual sneakers, long sleeve shirts, skinny pants, & an undershirt that can double as outerwear. Layers are key here. It can be up to 77 high during day, and usually no colder than 42 at night during our winters. REI sells packable rain jackets & rain pants. If serious about getting out, hiking, and not letting our winter "rainy" season stop you (& we finally we got our 1st rain for the season just today), then rain pants are wonderful. My husband bikes in the rain, and uses rain pants. Very few places have a "dress code" here, but I still like to personally wear a nice gabardine Burberry coat which is my style, but see few others in those. Since you are from Florida, you must have all kinds of rain gear already. Fashion colors for our area tend to run earthy: browns, blues, khaki, olive, etc.

I also special ordered for everyone in my family their own Windbrellas - umbrellas that don't fall apart in wind. I don't go anywhere for travel without our Windbrellas if I know rain is definitely in the forecast.
Wow. Thanks!!! So will I stand out in colors that are not earthy? I don't have highlighter colors, but I do like color.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:13 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromFL2CA View Post
Wow. Thanks!!! So will I stand out in colors that are not earthy? I don't have highlighter colors, but I do like color.
No. It's not NYC, you don't have to wear black all the time. Wear whatever colors are currently in style.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:39 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A wool coat and sweater in winter, and even in spring, and for foggy summer nights. You can have a couple of nice, light cashmere sweaters to wear at night or in winter during the day, under a wool coat or jacket. In winter, the temps get down to 45 degrees during the day. Colder at night due to the fog. It's a damp, penetrating cold. And good raingear is a must during the heavy Pacific storms. Though with the long drought, that's not a concern for now.
I can't imagine wearing a wool coat here. Too heavy. But I am a warm person. Even more so since menopause! I dress in light layers. The heaviest coat I have is a light pimaloft coat from Land's End. It's more weatherproof/windproof than weighty -- which helps keep the heat in. Put that over a long sleeve tee shirt and a cardigan sweater, or fleece jacket and you're good to go. Light layers not heavy.

I find that wearing gear to stay warm is way better than letting yourself get cold and then dressing warm -- so good socks that have some weight to them, wear gloves and a scarf, if not a hat.

Your best bet for normal winter walking is weatherproof mocs to keep the damp out. Right now -- it's not an issue, but rain is a biggie here.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:42 PM

Ok so weatherproof occasions? I think I have seen people in those. I just thought they were bedroom slippers. I see a lot of North Face jackets but like I said I want something that will keep me warm and is cute. Might be hard to find that? I am freezing in Florida even when we have those few cold days so I need lots of warmth.

What about socks? Wool or cashmere?

Old 02-04-2014, 08:44 PM

Oh and any special rain boots that will keep me warm and dry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland