Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 05:30 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Nope, Niche rankings are for 2021 and uses the latest census data available.
https://www.niche.com/about/methodol...iverse-places/

oh so now it's because of county size is it?

Okay, let's use simple percentages then. Here are California's 1M+ counties by racial breakdown:

Racial Breakdown 2020 Census

Southern California

Los Angeles County
48% Hispanic
25% White
15% Asian
8% Black

Orange County
38% White
34% Hispanic
22% Asian
1.5% Black

Riverside County
50% Hispanic
33% White
7% Asian
7% Black

San Bernardino County
54% Hispanic
26% White
8% Asian
8% Black

San Diego County
43% White
34% Hispanic
12% Asian
4% Black

Northern California
Santa Clara County
38% Asian
29% White
25% Hispanic
2% Black

Alameda County
32% Asian
28% White
23% Hispanic
9% Black

Contra Costa County
39% White
27% Hispanic
18% Asian
8% Black

Sacramento County
41% White
24% Hispanic
17% Asian
9% Black

What exactly are you arguing again?
That was my mistake I read that wrong. So are you arguing for all of NorCal now since you included Sacramento? I thought this was an LA and Bay thing.

At the end of the day, Greater LA (LA/OC/IE/VC) has a higher number of Black residents than the Bay (SF/OAK/SJ), and more of them earn higher incomes overall. This is why they are more visible in SoCal versus the Bay. What you said, the Bay "mopping the floor with LA" here is simply not true.

You stopped at counties over 1M for some reason which is I guess because you like that 1M number and if you go lower counties like Marin and Sonoma. Only one that sticks out for the Bay below 1M would be Solano County, so I see why you didn't want to do an entire CSA county comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 06:33 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
That was my mistake I read that wrong. So are you arguing for all of NorCal now since you included Sacramento? I thought this was an LA and Bay thing.
Oh it doesnt matter, with or without Sacramento.

Los Angeles-Long Beach CSA 2020
46% Hispanic
29% White
14% Asian
6% Black
3% Multiracial

San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland CSA 2020
35% White
29% Hispanic
24% Asian
5% Black
5% Multiracial

The Bay Area is more diverse whether at CSA level, or at MSA level, or by county level, or at city level.

So now that we've established that percentage of Blacks in the largest counties are largely the same, and we've established that blacks in the Bay Area have higher average incomes, I still don't know why you keep posting.

Quote:
At the end of the day, Greater LA (LA/OC/IE/VC) has a higher number of Black residents than the Bay (SF/OAK/SJ), and more of them earn higher incomes overall. This is why they are more visible in SoCal versus the Bay. What you said, the Bay "mopping the floor with LA" here is simply not true.
Visibility? We're talking 6% vs 5%.

I just find it amusing that you are unaware that there are many high income earning Blacks in the Bay Area. That's just bizarre.

Old 01-05-2022, 06:41 PM

Or maybe it's because SoCal people tend to be flashier in general that you have this opinion? Idk, but the Bay Area has a higher percentage of Black households earning $200,000+ according to the Census Bureau.

Black Households Earning $200,000+, 2019
25,824 Los Angeles-Long Beach CSA................5.8% of all Black HHs
17,062 San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland CSA.....8.2% of all Black HHs

Old 01-06-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Oh it doesnt matter, with or without Sacramento.

Los Angeles-Long Beach CSA 2020
46% Hispanic
29% White
14% Asian
6% Black
3% Multiracial

San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland CSA 2020
35% White
29% Hispanic
24% Asian
5% Black
5% Multiracial

The Bay Area is more diverse whether at CSA level, or at MSA level, or by county level, or at city level.

So now that we've established that percentage of Blacks in the largest counties are largely the same, and we've established that blacks in the Bay Area have higher average incomes, I still don't know why you keep posting.
This does not "mop the floor" of SoCal, and if you break down the racial groups LA comes out more diverse (ie it has a more diverse Hispanic, Black, and Asian populations).

Quote:
I just find it amusing that you are unaware that there are many high income earning Blacks in the Bay Area. That's just bizarre.
I find it amusing that this is the conclusion you came to, even though I said the Bay Area has a bunch of high income Black earners. You just got offended because I said LA/SoCal has a more visible middle/upper middle class Black population because there's more commerce across the region and LA gets more Black tourists from other areas that flaunt their wealth when they come.

Quote:
Black Households Earning $200,000+, 2019
25,824 Los Angeles-Long Beach CSA................5.8% of all Black HHs
17,062 San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland CSA.....8.2% of all Black HHs
My question is why were you starting at $200k? Why not start with $100k, which many households live comfortably on in SoCal. Is it because starting at $200k is what favors the Bay Area over LA? I think so. You can't discount the COL differences either. $200k, $100k, etc., will take you farther in LA than the Bay.

Quote:
Visibility? We're talking 6% vs 5%.
That's because you're only looking at this narrowly. We both know LA gets way more wealthy Black tourists who go to SoCal to have fun. Many of these people are from the Bay Area actually, but you see more Blacks from NYC, Atlanta, Texas, Chicago, etc., that come to LA to have fun and they show it in the cars they rent and businesses they patron.

Old 01-06-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
That's because you're only looking at this narrowly. We both know LA gets way more wealthy Black tourists who go to SoCal to have fun. Many of these people are from the Bay Area actually, but you see more Blacks from NYC, Atlanta, Texas, Chicago, etc., that come to LA to have fun and they show it in the cars they rent and businesses they patron.
Oh so now youre talking about vacationers? LOL. You watch too much tv.

Old 01-06-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Oh so now youre talking about vacationers? LOL. You watch too much tv.
Haha you are too funny dimondpark. Don't project your TV watching onto me.

First of all, you already posted stats showing there are a higher number of Blacks that make over $200k in LA vs. The Bay Area. It's also true if you drop that to $100k, which is a more reasonable number. Sure the percentage of Blacks making over $200k compared to the overall Black pop in the Bay may be at a higher %, but still using raw numbers there are more middle/upper-middle class Black people in LA than the Bay. The only difference is LA has many more Blacks who are in poverty/working class compared to the Bay, but that doesn't negate the higher number of those making over $100k.

And that's really just an LA thing in general as wages are typically lower when comparing it to the Bay (a lot of it due to COL but also difference in industries). This is why my organization bases salaries on COL in the Bay Area, so someone living in our CO or WA office makes the same as someone in our East Bay office, but I digress...

We both know the industries of these two places. Is LA not the entertainment capital of the world? You get more Black tourists who want to show off here versus those who may visit the Bay. They want to hit up a day party in Leimert Park or Downtown, take selfies in the Hills, stroll Rodeo, bar hop in Venice, take more selfies in Santa Monica, then go party like a star in Hollywood, etc. All the while driving rented Teslas or Land Rovers. Whereas visiting the Bay is more subtle IMO.

For me I can best describe it as visiting LA is more to party and be seen with a bunch of friends, while visiting the Bay is more likely to be on some romantic vacation thing where you want to try the highest rated wineries with your partner versus the LA vibe. At least in my experience. YMMV.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Haha you are too funny dimondpark. Don't project your TV watching onto me.

First of all...
Yes, first of all learn what visibility means. It doesnt matter that LA has a higher number of total income earners, that's largely irrelevant. What you want to look at is the probability that you will see them, and that is based on proportion to the total population.

If you mean like multimillionaire celebrities and media execs and the like, sure LA has more but you are delusional to try to pass that off as a normal thing---it isnt normal for LA for people of any race to see those folks as a matter of regularity.

And you brought up vacationers, what an exceptionally odd thing to say, I still have no clue where that comes into play and why you decided to move the goal post, but that's what people losing a debate often do, so I guess it's not a surprise after all.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:23 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Who told you this? Blacks in the Bay Area are wealthier on average.
One thing that has to be pointed out is that the question was about middle class black neighborhoods and which has more. So saying that Bay Area's black communities are more wealthy is a completely different topic.

As far as which California city has the most visible black community, I would say you're looking at places like Ladera Heights or Inglewood in LA, Lancaster or Palmdale in the South or Vallejo, Richmond, or Oakland in the North.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Yes, first of all learn what visibility means. It doesnt matter that LA has a higher number of total income earners, that's largely irrelevant. What you want to look at is the probability that you will see them, and that is based on proportion to the total population.

If you mean like multimillionaire celebrities and media execs and the like, sure LA has more but you are delusional to try to pass that off as a normal thing---it isnt normal for LA for people of any race to see those folks as a matter of regularity.

And you brought up vacationers, what an exceptionally odd thing to say, I still have no clue where that comes into play and why you decided to move the goal post, but that's what people losing a debate often do, so I guess it's not a surprise after all.
So why are you not likely to see more visible middle class Black pop in LA vs the Bay? Because LA has a much larger Hispanic population? Now THAT does not make any sense because all it means is you'll see more Hispanics/Asians/whatever before you get to that Black person depending on the area you are in. Show me an area of The Bay Area that's the equivalent of the Baldwin Hills/View Park/Ladera Heights area in population and income? I'll wait. That was the original point of this thread. I lived near this area so perhaps that skewed how I view things but haven't gotten this same feel when in the Bay. Not that it doesn't exist, and for the xth time I never said it didn't in the Bay like you implied, just that it feels less visible.

Also why is it odd to say visitors to LA are more likely to flaunt and show off money? That is literally what I have seen living in LA. You yourself tried to say that about LA residents being "more flashy in general". Was it odd for you to say it then?

Last edited by DabOnEm; 01-06-2022 at 03:41 PM..

Old 01-06-2022, 03:40 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
t
Oh yes it does, with zero effort whatsoever in fact. Northern California has been the center of diversity of the entire west for over 20 years now, but then you arent a student of California demography so you don't know.
I think its a bit of an exaggeration to imply the Bay Area "mops the floor" with LA in diversity. If we look at foreign born groups by CSA, here are all groups over 50,000:

Los Angeles/Riverside:
Mexico - 39.7% - 2,194,499
Philippines - 7.2% - 396,425
El Salvador - 6.0% - 328,255
China - 5.9% - 323,610
Vietnam - 4.6% - 268,039
Guatemala - 4.3% - 235,054
Korea - 4.2% - 229,537
Iran - 2.6% - 145,735
India - 2.2% - 123,345
Taiwan - 1.7% - 94,759
Armenia - 1.2% - 67,289
Canada - 1.1% - 58,095
United Kingdom - 1.0% - 54,522
Japan - 1.0% - 53,690

San Jose/San Francisco/Oakland CSA:
Mexico - 23.7% - 677,838
China - 15.8% - 451,885
India - 10.6% - 301,609
Philippines - 10.0% - 284,997
Vietnam - 6.5% - 184,917
El Salvador - 2.8% - 80,513
Taiwan - 2.3% - 65,045
Korea - 2.0% - 56,467

and by concentration:

LA/Riverside has 10 Countries that contribute to more than 0.5% of the total population: Mexico, India, Vietnam, China, Philippines, El Salvador, Taiwan, Korea, Guatemala, and Iran.

The Bay Area has also 10 Countries that contribute to more than 0.5% of the total population: Mexico, India, Vietnam, China, Philippines, El Salvador, Taiwan, Korea, Guatemala, and Hong Kong.

I don't see how one really mops the floor with the other here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland