Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,136 times

Advertisements

Hi- I am moving to the Bay Area and have to decided on a territory for a position- One is East Bay (Berkeley/Oakland, etc) the other is South (San Jose/Sunnyvale/Santa Clara). I am a single women, 30's, career oriented and hopeful to find a location with like-minded people. More of a city vibe than a suburb, etc. Anyone lived in both areas and have thoughts on what is best? Also, which area may have more traffic? I know the Bay always has traffic but I will drive my area a lot and wondered if either is easier to navigate/ more access to freeways or other routes, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 11:58 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
South is far more suburban. Not many urban neighborhoods there at all. Traffic? It depends on where you are starting and where you are going. I find traffic is worse in the South Bay. But separately, there are not alternatives to driving. You can get to basically any office in Berkeley via transit, and most in Oakland via transit pretty easily.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:48 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
The traffic in the East Bay is defined by commuters coming in from even further east, and from the north.. as well as a very large volume of freight traffic. In the South Bay it's driven by San Jose being a city of a million people itself, plus serving as the crossroads for people coming from Santa Cruz, Gilroy, Los Banos, etc and going through to work in the northwestern parts of the Silicon Valley.

Both are pretty miserable during peak hours, which have been creeping slowly but surely towards 11 am.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:49 AM

142 posts, read 224,356 times
No, Don't pick San Jose - coming from a single, career oriented woman that moved there in her 20's. I feel you will be much happier as a resident in berkeley. San Jose felt kind of like a trap, because it was too far away to really be able to participate in city activities.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:59 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalforever View Post
San Jose felt kind of like a trap, because it was too far away to really be able to participate in city activities.
Oh no, you must have felt so left-out and uncool.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:11 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Oh no, you must have felt so left-out and uncool.
Yeah. I understand why people like Berkeley. Just like SF, it's really over hyped though, IMHO. If I had to suggest a location for OP, I'd say pick Berkeley. You'll be closer to SF.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:11 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,494 times
What do you mean by city? San Jose is certainly more suburban in parts - but it is a larger city than San Francisco, and it does have a downtown with many new living options, and several under construction. It isn't as city as S.F, but it is still nice.

Just visit the two places, they are different, and it really comes down to what'll be a better personal fit for you.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:38 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,499,077 times
Pick the East Bay. San Jose won't have what you're after.

I lived on the east side of downtown San Jose, in a beautiful neighborhood called Naglee Park, for 2 years. Despite being 3/4-mile from the heart of downtown, it was quiet. Sleepy. Dull. I was bored out of my skull as a non-tech worker in his 20's. I gave it a year and a half before I got fed up and started looking for another job. Got one in Marin, which allowed me to live in SF and then finally Berkeley. It's so much better here in the East Bay. There is always something to do nearby, but I get to live in a nice, cute neighborhood just like I did in San Jose.

tl;dr San Jose has nothing to offer that can't be outdone by almost any part of the East Bay--Berkeley, Oakland, or Alameda. Also, the traffic in SJ is as bad as it is in the East Bay, but the public transit leaves a lot to be desired. The East Bay has great BART access and a good bus system too.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:26 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
Pick the East Bay. San Jose won't have what you're after.

I lived on the east side of downtown San Jose, in a beautiful neighborhood called Naglee Park, for 2 years. Despite being 3/4-mile from the heart of downtown, it was quiet. Sleepy. Dull. I was bored out of my skull as a non-tech worker in his 20's. I gave it a year and a half before I got fed up and started looking for another job. Got one in Marin, which allowed me to live in SF and then finally Berkeley. It's so much better here in the East Bay. There is always something to do nearby, but I get to live in a nice, cute neighborhood just like I did in San Jose.

tl;dr San Jose has nothing to offer that can't be outdone by almost any part of the East Bay--Berkeley, Oakland, or Alameda. Also, the traffic in SJ is as bad as it is in the East Bay, but the public transit leaves a lot to be desired. The East Bay has great BART access and a good bus system too.
Boring is exactly what I like.. private, quiet, safe.. because it means I can live life on my own terms instead of having to adjust to the whims and patterns of others. I would give up a lot to live in Naglee Park.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:33 AM

142 posts, read 224,356 times
The public transport is a nightmare- at least until they finish the BART line to San Jose Diridon. There is nothing to do. If you like quiet, try a more suburban part of berkeley. You will be much happier .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland