Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 12:56 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

Well obviously, we all know this:
While S.F. prices rise, housing becoming less affordable all over the nation - On The Block

But there were some interesting trends here I thought I would note.

So look at these Redfin stats. The average downpayment for a purchaser in SF was 43%. The median home price is $850k, so people are putting $365K down. Obviously that leaves home purchasing open to only a select few very well off people (with tons of liquid assets).

That is very very scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 01:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Not really, all it takes is for them to have bought a house 15-20 years ago and have $365k in equity. We have the same situation here, though our median is only $625k, but we bought for $199k in 1993. Not that we need anything bigger but that's $426k in equity and we are not "very well off." Of course we probably couldn't afford the payments on a house for $865k even with $365 down.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Not really, all it takes is for them to have bought a house 15-20 years ago and have $365k in equity. We have the same situation here, though our median is only $625k, but we bought for $199k in 1993. Not that we need anything bigger but that's $426k in equity and we are not "very well off." Of course we probably couldn't afford the payments on a house for $865k even with $365 down.
So that leaves the 30-somethings with...........

Basically, it means the only way to "get in" to the housing market is to sell a home that appreciated, or have a ton of money.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:42 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So that leaves the 30-somethings with...........

Basically, it means the only way to "get in" to the housing market is to sell a home that appreciated, or have a ton of money.
Welcome to the Bay Area.

As an under 30 home owner your only real option is to either A. Make a **** load of money or B. Live in a less than desirable neighborhood.

I did option B.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Welcome to the Bay Area.

As an under 30 home owner your only real option is to either A. Make a **** load of money or B. Live in a less than desirable neighborhood.

I did option B.
Unfortunately the undesirable neighborhood doesn't have my bare minimum requirements generally. So I gotta keep waiting. I have quite a few things I am ok to compromise on, but walkability and transit access aren't on the list. Oh...it doesn't help that I only want a condo. No SFH for me. All of the condos in my budget in Oakland are too far in the hills to meet the walkability requirements. That limits my neighborhood choices significantly. Although it really shouldn't.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:22 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Unfortunately the undesirable neighborhood doesn't have my bare minimum requirements generally. So I gotta keep waiting. I have quite a few things I am ok to compromise on, but walkability and transit access aren't on the list. Oh...it doesn't help that I only want a condo. No SFH for me. All of the condos in my budget in Oakland are too far in the hills to meet the walkability requirements. That limits my neighborhood choices significantly. Although it really shouldn't.
And it wouldn't if there weren't a million of you trying to get the same thing. We can't artificially limit demand not matter how hard we try.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
And it wouldn't if there weren't a million of you trying to get the same thing. We can't artificially limit demand not matter how hard we try.
But we could increase the supply of that type. We've got 45 BART stations and 20 Caltrain stations. And who knows how many walkable "main streets."

Old 02-28-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
But we could increase the supply of that type. We've got 45 BART stations and 20 Caltrain stations. And who knows how many walkable "main streets."
You are going to either need to adjust your requirments or make more money. You may be able to wait till the next real estate down turn, but that won't be 3-5 more years.

If you ride a bike instead if walk you can greatly increase the area you can live. Also you should not limit yourself to Oakland, why not look at San Leandro, Hayward or where I am in, San Lorenzo. All are close to Bart.

Their is no such thing as a perfect house in the Bay Area, just the best compromise.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
You are going to either need to adjust your requirments or make more money. You may be able to wait till the next real estate down turn, but that won't be 3-5 more years.

If you ride a bike instead if walk you can greatly increase the area you can live. Also you should not limit yourself to Oakland, why not look at San Leandro, Hayward or where I am in, San Lorenzo. All are close to Bart.

Their is no such thing as a perfect house in the Bay Area, just the best compromise.
There isn't "a perfect house" thats for sure, but most of the Bay Area isn't designed in a way for you to be "transit dependent."

I don't particularly like Hayward or San Leandro and only the downtown areas are semi-feasible. Biking in Hayward would be awful. Not enough infrastructure. I see the brave souls biking on Jackson where it is dark and packed with speeding cars. For me transit/walkabiliy access isn't so much about me, but about my friends that don't drive. And having access to the other amenities that pop up when a large portion of people choose not to drive (car sharing and the like), for when I get rid of my car, so being at a transit systems core where there is a lot of "good service" nearby is best.

I will wait it out, see what new development pops up, and re-evaluate my budget as needed.

But at the end of the day, we have a severe housing crisis in the Bay Area, where even well paid people don't have many housing options. And we are pricing out everyone who is not well paid from the area. Additionally, since it is now "hip" to live somewhere walkable with transit, the people that need it most, the ones that do not have transportation choice, are priced out of the very neighborhoods they need. I've got no urgent need to buy, although I'd like to, and I am 1-1.5 years out from when I'll be in the right position to make that sort of commitment. I've got my Oakland target list, and maybe by the time I am ready I can expand my list to more buildings or more neighborhoods. Or compromise a bit on amenities (ahem washer/dryer) to get what I want.

But what about the "other people" who have to live far out and endure terrible commutes because they have been priced completely out.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
There isn't "a perfect house" thats for sure, but most of the Bay Area isn't designed in a way for you to be "transit dependent."

I don't particularly like Hayward or San Leandro and only the downtown areas are semi-feasible. Biking in Hayward would be awful. Not enough infrastructure. I see the brave souls biking on Jackson where it is dark and packed with speeding cars. For me transit/walkabiliy access isn't so much about me, but about my friends that don't drive. And having access to the other amenities that pop up when a large portion of people choose not to drive (car sharing and the like), for when I get rid of my car, so being at a transit systems core where there is a lot of "good service" nearby is best.

I will wait it out, see what new development pops up, and re-evaluate my budget as needed.

But at the end of the day, we have a severe housing crisis in the Bay Area, where even well paid people don't have many housing options. And we are pricing out everyone who is not well paid from the area. Additionally, since it is now "hip" to live somewhere walkable with transit, the people that need it most, the ones that do not have transportation choice, are priced out of the very neighborhoods they need. I've got no urgent need to buy, although I'd like to, and I am 1-1.5 years out from when I'll be in the right position to make that sort of commitment. I've got my Oakland target list, and maybe by the time I am ready I can expand my list to more buildings or more neighborhoods. Or compromise a bit on amenities (ahem washer/dryer) to get what I want.

But what about the "other people" who have to live far out and endure terrible commutes because they have been priced completely out.
And I would like a 3/2 with 1500 sq feet within walking distance from work in a good school district but I don't have 2 million dollars so I had to lower my expectations.

You can get two out of three in the Bay Area unless you have super big money

Good commute
Good schools
Reasonable price
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland