Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 11:24 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times

Advertisements

I'm addicted to Dry Creek Vineyard's Fumé Blanc. They must put Xanax in it or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 11:54 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
I will ask them about that when I go! Dry Creek is definitely near the top my list of places to see. As is Quivira.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:58 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
@DonCorleone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Thanks for the positive, helpful comment and personal dig. Much appreciated.

It was not a dig at you, but rather others on this forum based on past responses I've read time and time again. This question has been asked quite a few times and there are always members here who make it seem like, "yeah, keep your guard up and you may make it to your destination alive."

So, "my dig", wasn't directed toward you because I know you don't know the area, so of course you have no idea what it is like. There are some posters that live in the East Bay, that like to make newcomers feel scared as hell about the Civic Center. My 90 lb korean female friend worked in the Civic Center and commuted from Union Square. She would eat at the food trucks for lunch every day and took lots of pictures. Don't worry, the odds of you getting attacked or mugged is very low. It isn't the best part of San Francisco and is next to the Tenderloin, but at the same time, it's nowhere near lawless.

I hope that clears up everything lol.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:12 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,942 times
Quote:
Thanks again everyone. That sets my mind much at ease. I'll acclimate my wife to it and we should be good to go. Now, if anyone has any hidden treasure wineries in the greater Healdsburg/Sonoma area to share with me...I'm all ears.
Agree with other posters that you will be fine during the day, and I also think that Larkin is better than Hyde--the public library is fine during the day.

As for wineries, I'm a big fan of Chalk Hill, which is near Healdsburg--their wines are very good, though pricey. I also like Christopher Creek, very close to Healdsburg--their wines are mixed, but the tasting is great and the atmosphere is classic, laid-back Sonoma County. Closer to Sonoma, I like the Carneros wineries around 12. Cuvaison for its beautiful tasting room, Domaine Carneros for its beautiful estate and sparkling wines, and Acacia for its pinot noirs and chardonnays. Sonoma is in the heart of Sonoma Valley, and close to Carneros. Healdsburg is close to Dry Creek Valley, Alexander Valley, and Chalk Hill. You might look at those sub-regions for wineries that match your tastes and price range.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:10 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I hope that clears up everything lol.
It's all good. Sorry for being a tad defensive. I've been in some very rough/poor/dangerous areas of Peru before as well as other large US cities so I've got the routine down. I read enough of the area's reputation to be guarded and then reading even more made me think twice. Not so much for safety (though it did) but more for the likely apprehension/shock my wife might have...and the lecture I'd get afterwards. But now I'm convinced we'll be fine and she'll be better acclimated to the environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Agree with other posters that you will be fine during the day, and I also think that Larkin is better than Hyde--the public library is fine during the day.

As for wineries, I'm a big fan of Chalk Hill, which is near Healdsburg--their wines are very good, though pricey. I also like Christopher Creek, very close to Healdsburg--their wines are mixed, but the tasting is great and the atmosphere is classic, laid-back Sonoma County. Closer to Sonoma, I like the Carneros wineries around 12. Cuvaison for its beautiful tasting room, Domaine Carneros for its beautiful estate and sparkling wines, and Acacia for its pinot noirs and chardonnays. Sonoma is in the heart of Sonoma Valley, and close to Carneros. Healdsburg is close to Dry Creek Valley, Alexander Valley, and Chalk Hill. You might look at those sub-regions for wineries that match your tastes and price range.
Thanks. I've seen a couple of these in my research but most are new names. Thanks! I'll check it out. We are excited for the trip...even though it's 3 months away, we're knee-deep in winery planning so I appreciate the recommendations so much!

Another wine-related question...my wife is/was wanting to do the Napa Valley Wine Train. I know it's a haul from Healdsburg over to Napa, plus I'm not that excited about paying that much for it. Nevertheless, that's the "one thing" she wants to do. Anyone have any experience doing the Wine Train? Pros/cons?

Old 03-19-2014, 08:41 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
It's all good. Sorry for being a tad defensive. I've been in some very rough/poor/dangerous areas of Peru before as well as other large US cities so I've got the routine down. I read enough of the area's reputation to be guarded and then reading even more made me think twice. Not so much for safety (though it did) but more for the likely apprehension/shock my wife might have...and the lecture I'd get afterwards. But now I'm convinced we'll be fine and she'll be better acclimated to the environment.

Thanks. I've seen a couple of these in my research but most are new names. Thanks! I'll check it out. We are excited for the trip...even though it's 3 months away, we're knee-deep in winery planning so I appreciate the recommendations so much!

Another wine-related question...my wife is/was wanting to do the Napa Valley Wine Train. I know it's a haul from Healdsburg over to Napa, plus I'm not that excited about paying that much for it. Nevertheless, that's the "one thing" she wants to do. Anyone have any experience doing the Wine Train? Pros/cons?
I went like 15 years ago and had a good time. I remember the food being good but my tastes have likely changed. The view was nice but the wineries are pretty standard if you will.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:18 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,632 times
It's safe, although I did witness a few personal thefts of cell phones in the area by groups of young kids, but it's filthy. I mean, seriously, smelly, filthy, and it does take getting used to.

The yelp reviews that say it smells like urine are 100% spot on. It's all over the sides of the buildings. It's all over the sidewalks, and when there is even a light rain in the city, it really mist up into the air. The back of the Carls Jr in that area is basically a huge bathroom for homeless people. The BART escalator that leads to the surface streets from the station have literally been clogged up by human feces multiple times. I'd say they would be stopped about once/twice every 2 weeks because of "some problem".

Once you actually get to the surface streets from the station, the entire area is like one big homeless hangout right in front of the Art school in that area. You will see a sea of shopping carts, shopping bags full of stuff, and homeless people just sitting around or literally passed out from some sort of substance they've taken.

So yes while the area is relatively safe, if you have to see that everyday, its sort of a downer. I thought I'd get used to it after a few years, but it never happened. All of this literally a short walk from the center of the City Government. SF's homeless problem and the the massive profits some institutions are making from loading up these people with Rx Pills is sickening.

I honestly don't think you and your wife will like living there for very long, regardless of the crime (or lack thereof). It's simply a depressing part of the city to see everyday.

There is a good burrito place near UN Plaza, and they keep the doors closed so you don't get any urine smell, closer to Hastings Law School. Hopefully it's still there.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:28 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
the massive profits some institutions are making from loading up these people with Rx Pills is sickening.
Not to mention the corner malt-liquor shops/drug-dealing centers that the city refuses to close down. The zombie advocates insist that they're needed because they're the only place where people can buy groceries. Well, shut them down and build a damn grocery store then!

Old 03-19-2014, 11:03 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Not to mention the corner malt-liquor shops/drug-dealing centers that the city refuses to close down. The zombie advocates insist that they're needed because they're the only place where people can buy groceries. Well, shut them down and build a damn grocery store then!
Are you kidding? That would require investing tens of millions of dollars.

SF liberals don't bust out their checkbooks to help people until you're at least a mid-cap Web 2.0 tech company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland