Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2014, 09:21 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
You got it!
Happy trails and happy memories my friend.
*sigh* ... we really can't ever go back... because what we knew is gone.
You're right... keep looking forward while taking the blessings we had with us.

These idiots and trust fund babies spewing the same old crap... "it's getting betta every day.."
They have no idea how good it WAS before they arrive.
Maybe it's because we've gotten older. we used to go out to the great bookstores all the time....and those bookstores are gone and my house is full. We use to go out to comedy clubs and those places have pretty much shut their doors too. Movies are an expensive pain that aren't worth it anymore.

But people still love it here and the young ones keep on coming. Maybe it's just a natural maturation of wants and needs that make a place no longer right for us, not someplace turning on us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 06:02 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Maybe it's because we've gotten older. we used to go out to the great bookstores all the time....and those bookstores are gone and my house is full.
Paper books are pretty much obsolete now. With the exception of manuals for the computers that you use to read other books, and information for emergencies, since if you had to access the information you probably wouldn't have power for a computer. But things like paperbacks etc., I'm surprised they even still print those on paper.

Quote:
We use to go out to comedy clubs and those places have pretty much shut their doors too.
Really? San Jose has at least one downtown, the Improv.

Quote:
Movies are an expensive pain that aren't worth it anymore.
Movies aren't worth it??? omg there is an awesome one that just came out, Guardians of the Galaxy! You have to go see that one!! I missed it in 3d. Maybe next weekend. But the 2d version at least is awesome. Plus they are coming out with a new Star Wars movie next year, and it's going to have the actors from the original: Harrison Ford, Carrie Fischer, Mark Hamill, et al. The only guy missing is Billy Dee Williams as Lando Calrissian, hopefully they'll fix that. But that promises to be awesome. Can't believe you feel like movies aren't worth it.

Quote:
But people still love it here and the young ones keep on coming. Maybe it's just a natural maturation of wants and needs that make a place no longer right for us, not someplace turning on us.
Possibly although I don't think maturation is the right word. There are people of all ages who like to do fun and youthful things. Joan Jett is in her 50s and she's still doing rock and roll just like when she was in her 20s. Refers to herself as a girl rather than a woman.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:07 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
You got it!
Happy trails and happy memories my friend.
*sigh* ... we really can't ever go back... because what we knew is gone.
You're right... keep looking forward while taking the blessings we had with us.

These idiots and trust fund babies spewing the same old crap... "it's getting betta every day.."
They have no idea how good it WAS before they arrive.
The old have always complained about the young and lamented the passing of 'the good old days'. Back when Sam Clements was strolling the streets of the City, and a man called Norton was declaring himself emperor, oldsters were talking about how it used to be. Some of those young 'idiots' will be doing the same up the line. Plus ca change.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:36 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Maybe it's because we've gotten older. we used to go out to the great bookstores all the time....and those bookstores are gone and my house is full. We use to go out to comedy clubs and those places have pretty much shut their doors too. Movies are an expensive pain that aren't worth it anymore.

What bookstores are gone, besides City Light? Cody's in Berkeley closed about 15 years ago, due to chronic drug activity on their doorstep driving customers away. Moe's is still there, though. I can't live without a good bookstore!

Old 09-22-2014, 12:48 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What bookstores are gone, besides City Light? Cody's in Berkeley closed about 15 years ago, due to chronic drug activity on their doorstep driving customers away. Moe's is still there, though. I can't live without a good bookstore!
Roskie and Wallace closed ages ago -- that place was a treat. Powells in Oakland is gone. Other Change of Hobbitt has gone -- again. Dark Carnival has moved to such a tiny place, that you can't avoid the miserable SOB that owns the place. Mystery Bookstore in Noe Valley -- gone.

Lots of them are gone. Especially the little oddball places that sold niche books we enjoyed.

And yeah -- some of us really prefer to read BOOKS.... not e-readers. And as a quilter I need a book to print templates and paper piecing patterns.

We used to love nothing more than going to Telegraph Ave and spend the day. Saw the handwriting on the wall when the Gap opened.

As for comedy clubs -- there used to be tons, and we had a thriving comedy scene that has gone. One in San Jose and two in SF? Drop in the bucket for what used to be there....

But that's life. Life marches on. Or else we'd still be listening to Glenn Miller and Tommy Dorsey on "the wireless crystal" radio....

Old 09-22-2014, 01:04 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:

We used to love nothing more than going to Telegraph Ave and spend the day. Saw the handwriting on the wall when the Gap opened.
Telegraph used to be SO ECLECTIC! (Pardon me, while I enthuse slightly off-topic.) Remember Shambala Books? They said they couldn't compete with online purchases (Amazon). The tried valiantly to stay open and find an investor or someone to help save the place. And across the street there was that Nepali trader shop (it may still be there, I don't know). Telegraph was so great for browsing. But the Gap? I guess that part of Telegraph (and Bancroft, around the corner) doesn't have commercial rent control, and a locally-owned-only policy?

btw, if you do go to Telegraph ever again, go down towards the Oakland end a few blocks, and have lunch (or dinner) at a cool French place called "Le Bateau Ivre" (the Drunken Boat). GREAT food, nice ambience. Good for weekend brunch, too.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:31 PM

3 posts, read 3,342 times
Hi,

I moved to Silicon Valley very recently from Europe (Stockholm) and have been having moved feelings about this place. I have been writing a blog about all the Silicon valley challenges including rental etc.

I actually love San Francisco

MOD CUT link

Old 09-23-2014, 03:56 PM

896 posts, read 1,400,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Okay name them and even 10 would still be considered rare.

Name 10 major cities where you don't need to own a car, yet you can go mountain, coastal and urban hiking?

Seattle does not count... it isn't urban, only the downtown area, I used to live there.
How is this possible, don't you have to drive to the mountain areas?

Old 09-23-2014, 06:54 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
City Lights is alive and kicking. Also, there's a new restaurant with a basement comedy club to replace the Purple Onion opening roughly across the street from it.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:54 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Everybody doesn't have the same needs. I lived in Marin County for 23 years. Loved the place. But it would have killed me to live in the city. Some people are just not cut out for city living. The problem (to me) is when you really start badmouthing a place because it is not a fit for you. I think that if you are not comfortable in a place - urban, rural, burb, or whatever - you have the right to find a place that is a better fit. But it doesn't mean the place you dislike is not just exactly what others my love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland