Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 06:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

Quan made one of her typical, misstatements about the funding of Coliseum City.

Quote:
OAKLAND -- Despite Mayor Jean Quan's assertion on a sports radio program Thursday, the crown prince of Dubai has not partnered with developers to build sports stadiums and an entertainment center at the Oakland Coliseum complex, city officials said Friday.

Oakland's mayor caused a stir during an interview on 95.7 The Game when she announced that developers working on Coliseum City "are partnered literally with the prince of Dubai, who is next in line to lead Dubai. And they have capital."

Quan refused to discuss her comments Friday, but acknowledged through her spokesman, Sean Maher, that the crown prince had not partnered on the deal.
As usual, she was happy to boast, and then seals her lips when its confirmed her statement is inaccurate.

Mayor Jean Quan backtracks on Dubai prince claim - Inside Bay Area

I am am holding steady on the ABQ (anyone besides Quan) platform for this year's mayor race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 06:29 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,631,326 times
How anyone so utterly incompetent can be running a large American city is mind-boggling.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:52 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Most of the politicians here in California, are incompetent. Look at how this state is run. The scary part, is that we voters, elected them into office.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Most of the politicians here in California, are incompetent. Look at how this state is run. The scary part, is that we voters, elected them into office.
No one voted for Quan. She was a middling choice in a weird ranked voting process.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:53 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Not only referring to Quan, but the others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
No one voted for Quan. She was a middling choice in a weird ranked voting process.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:16 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Im not bothered much by this actually. If the project actually gets built, I dont care whose name is attached to it, Royalty or otherwise.

And Im still waiting for someone to explain to me what exactly she hasnt done that's within her power to change for the better.

Oaklanders dont seem to want a heavy handed police dept.

Oaklanders want teachers unions to dictate district policies.

Oaklanders fight tooth and nail to oppose development because they want to keep things ghetto, I mean they are against gentrification.

So the way I see it, if anything Quan is precisely what Oakland deserves for she actually reflects most of our prevailing values.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Im not bothered much by this actually. If the project actually gets built, I dont care whose name is attached to it, Royalty or otherwise.

And Im still waiting for someone to explain to me what exactly she hasnt done that's within her power to change for the better.

Oaklanders dont seem to want a heavy handed police dept.

Oaklanders want teachers unions to dictate district policies.

Oaklanders fight tooth and nail to oppose development because they want to keep things ghetto, I mean they are against gentrification.

So the way I see it, if anything Quan is precisely what Oakland deserves for she actually reflects most of our prevailing values.
My problem with Quan has little to do with her decisions and 100% about her lack of leadership. She hires people to do job x and both doesn't give them power to make decisions and doesn't bother to make her own decisions which is basically purgatory. Then when something goes wrong she blames her leaders who were blocked from actually doing their jobs. Either do something or get out of the way. Quan does neither and goes to China and cheerleads for Oakland. A mayors job is the day to day management of the city, not to be the number one cheerleader.

Quan is all talk, little action. The job of a mayor is to actually implement, and we have already had one action-less mayor in Dellums, and we are ushering in year 8. Quan can't get anything done whether it is her initiative or someone else's, but is first in line to take credit for any positive results.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:48 PM

I dont care about city bureacracy and staffing snafus. That's not even on my list of priorities.

Crime will NOT go down unless we the citizens get serious.

Schools are MUCH better is test scores are the measuring stick.

The city is on a major economic upswing.

She is delivering when it comes to playing a role in seeking and/ or procuring funds for development projects that are very important to me.

There is always room for improvement, but if the question that decides the election is: Are we better off NOW than before she took office?

The answer is, most definitely YES. Oakland is a more prosperous and has better schools and the city is attracting all kinds of investments and positive attention.

I think she deserves the chance to continue that.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I dont care about city bureacracy and staffing snafus. That's not even on my list of priorities.

Crime will NOT go down unless we the citizens get serious.
The police chief needs the space to do their job. Morale tertprible at the police department, and the force is declining because if the environment and job satisfaction.

Quote:

Schools are MUCH better is test scores are the measuring stick.
Schools have been in the uptick for a decade. Jean Quan got lucky so she can claim it was on her watch. It had nothing to do with her leadership.

Quote:
The city is on a major economic upswing.

She is delivering when it comes to playing a role in seeking and/ or procuring funds for development projects that are very important to me.

There is always room for improvement, but if the question that decides the election is: Are we better off NOW than before she took office?

The answer is, most definitely YES. Oakland is a more prosperous and has better schools and the city is attracting all kinds of investments and positive attention.

I think she deserves the chance to continue that.
Jean Quan walked into perfect timing. All the seeds were planted before she came in. She absolutely should not be in charge of the day to day city business. She has no idea of the budget citation or anything else. Cronyism should be used to give her a job title if special projects, and let someone else manage the city. Luck only carries you so far.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:27 AM

Right, but if she doesnt get any credit for things going well, on what grounds can we blame her for things going bad?

We as a city are better off overall than before she came into office. That's what I'm looking at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland