Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 09:01 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,609 times

Advertisements

I am sure we have at least a few apt lease experts in attendance, given how prescient tenant issues are in this city of ours.
Ok, so here it goes. My former roommate moved out of our apt last Dec '13. She and yours truly were the names on the main lease for about 10years. Our apt is rent controlled and in nice area of the city. So, my old roommate decides to move out , probably prompted by a little run in with our landlord about some minor issues in the apt bldg. This all transpired in Nov '13 and she subsequently informed the landlord of the departure and Dec '13 would be her last month.
So, after consultation with the landlord, he mentions that in the future I would be the master tenant and would take care of things like collecting the rent and in his own words "responsible for the new tenant".
Now instead of having two names on the main page of the rental lease agreement such as before , now there is my own and nobody else's. What makes things interesting is that in the very last page of the rental agreement , there are two places for tenant signatures . Mine and my new roommate's signature. She signed it and just in passing recently said to me that since she signed the lease along with me (that being on the last page ) then she has equal rights and as such the "Master tenant" status is null and void.
Everything is rather agreeable in our living situation . However, I am somewhat confused as to what the "Master tenant" status exactly confers and since she is on the lease , although only on the back page , does she have equal status as me. I am confused about this situation and maybe somebody can shed some light on this for me ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 05:27 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times
All this means is that:

1. Your new roommate pays you and then you pay the landlord. She doesn't pay the landlord directly. You're responsible for collecting her rent, that's what the landlord meant when he say she's your responsibility.

2. When you move out of the apartment, your new roommate has to move too or sign a new lease with the landlord (if the landlord is willing).

Other than that, she and you have the same rights.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:50 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,609 times
Ok . That names more sense now. If I do move out , in the landlords own words, the rent goes up by around 60%. So, it would be nice if I stay there for a few more years ........my housemate would agree too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland