Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 11:03 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times

Advertisements

schools better in Lafayette or Bencia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 11:28 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Well if you look at the entire bay area all of the cities SF, Oakland, San Jose have problem with very bad schools. Most of inner east bay has bad schools. And that leaves very few small school districts with good schools (basically smaller cities in the peninsula and lamorinda area) and in those areas housing is completely unaffordable to even the upper middle class! The amount of rent you pay for oh so fancy Russian hill apartment is significantly cheaper than buying a house in the peninsula. This is not true in most metro areas in the country because at least in the suburbs schools are good and housing affordable.

The schools in Dallas/Houston suburbs i.e. the places you tend to complain about most, has much much better schools. If you look at Boston area, which is very similar to bay area in terms of economy, it's a far more advanced civilization compared to bay area when it comes to education.
I don't have children and don't intend to, so it's not an issue for me, nor am I commenting from my personal perspective. I don't have any frame of reference for the schools in Texas suburbs or Boston, either, as I have never had any children. Why do you bring these places up in this topic?

PS-Albany, Berkeley, Kensington, El Cerrito, and other parts of the East Bay are noted for having great public schools, from what I have heard. I'm sure there are many more, but like I said, I don't pay much attention.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:30 PM

I DON'T have kids neither but this is what I hear from other parents.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:29 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I don't have children and don't intend to, so it's not an issue for me, nor am I commenting from my personal perspective. I don't have any frame of reference for the schools in Texas suburbs or Boston, either, as I have never had any children. Why do you bring these places up in this topic?

PS-Albany, Berkeley, Kensington, El Cerrito, and other parts of the East Bay are noted for having great public schools, from what I have heard. I'm sure there are many more, but like I said, I don't pay much attention.
Just because you don't want kids doesn't mean society does not have a responsibility to educate the future generations. I judge an area based on what it offers for regular families and not how easy it's to get drunk there and waste time in frivolities. The comparisons are for reference for responsible adults who will grasp the significance.

LOL@ El Cerrito schools!

Old 06-25-2014, 09:00 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
Quote:
Just because you don't want kids doesn't mean society does not have a responsibility to educate the future generations. I judge an area based on what it offers for regular families and not how easy it's to get drunk there and waste time in frivolities. The comparisons are for reference for responsible adults who will grasp the significance.

LOL@ El Cerrito schools!
Right. I agreed with this. I merely qualified my response, as I am not a parent, don't intend to be one, and as such, am not personally vested in the public schools in the near term. For the long term health of the area, we agree and I stated as such.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:14 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Well if you look at the entire bay area all of the cities SF, Oakland, San Jose have problem with very bad schools. Most of inner east bay has bad schools. And that leaves very few small school districts with good schools (basically smaller cities in the peninsula and lamorinda area) and in those areas housing is completely unaffordable to even the upper middle class! The amount of rent you pay for oh so fancy Russian hill apartment is significantly cheaper than buying a house in the peninsula. This is not true in most metro areas in the country because at least in the suburbs schools are good and housing affordable.

The schools in Dallas/Houston suburbs i.e. the places you tend to complain about most, has much much better schools. If you look at Boston area, which is very similar to bay area in terms of economy, it's a far more advanced civilization compared to bay area when it comes to education.
Oakland is diverse... it has both top and bottom public schools...

The city of Piedmont is bordered by Oakland on all sides and has top performing schools...

My neighbors moved from Oakland to Orinda for schools... found Orinda schools lacking and now send the kids to Head Royce back in Oakland...

Now here's a different take...

My friend's daughter went to Skyline in Oakland... every one told her she needs to find a better school...

Thing is she graduated at the top of her class and was guaranteed a spot at CAL... something about automatic admission for the top students from Oakland Public High Schools.

She a good student for sure... not sure if she would have been at the top in another district.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:26 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
We'll be leaving here and going back to PA in about 5 years. (I dare anyone to count how many times I've used 5 years.... that seems to be my benchmark time term) I'm pretty done here. My favorite fabric stores have changed or closed, my fabric buying habits have changed (Love Connecting Threads online), libraries are merely okay here and I miss my family.

I won't even go into the grocery stores. They're tragic.

Husband waffles back and forth, but if the pot laws become more favorable in PA, it's a go.

Hmmm.... now I know what I should be working on.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:35 PM

Oakland..alot of businesses are starting up in Oakland compared to SF because the rents are alot lower.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:29 PM

596 posts, read 820,900 times
Next to the cities beautiful setting, the anti-kid vibe is the most appealing quality of SF. Kids can be annoying, especially when their parents let them run wild and are too busy focusing on other tasks. If you're really big on family, move to middle America.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:36 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
I love kids that know how to behave and do.

Tallysmom... what do you think of the new Foodsco at Foothill Square... over 45 million was spent updating the center at 106th and MacArthur...

East Oakland is certainly seeing investment dollars flowing into the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland