Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 08:12 PM

274 posts, read 353,774 times

Advertisements

Caramel Mama - don't know how old you are, but would agree with the age discrimination once middle-aged and older.

Based on what you said, I'd consider looking for a job elsewhere now. The age discrimination won't get better, and it will be hard to save money on a lower-paying job. Plus, it's easier to meet people when we're younger, get settled in a new place, etc - and you just might wonder why you hung on for 5 more years only to find you're not in a much better place then than now.

I know it's tough to look for an admin asst job while in another state/location, but what about temp placements? I've been out of the job market for too long to give advice, but know that I'd be figuring out how to get employment elsewhere now rather than later because based on the economics of the Bay Area, it's tough to see what you gain by waiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 11:59 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon2 View Post
Caramel Mama - don't know how old you are, but would agree with the age discrimination once middle-aged and older.

Based on what you said, I'd consider looking for a job elsewhere now. The age discrimination won't get better, and it will be hard to save money on a lower-paying job. Plus, it's easier to meet people when we're younger, get settled in a new place, etc - and you just might wonder why you hung on for 5 more years only to find you're not in a much better place then than now.

I know it's tough to look for an admin asst job while in another state/location, but what about temp placements? I've been out of the job market for too long to give advice, but know that I'd be figuring out how to get employment elsewhere now rather than later because based on the economics of the Bay Area, it's tough to see what you gain by waiting.
The same thing applies for the dating arena for older singles.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:53 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
I'm fortunate to be pretty well off, and I consider moving away from this place. We may do it one day. Not because of money, but because of stress. The Bay area is beautiful and carries with it the promise of a wonderful lifestyle, but the irony is that to make the money to live here, you have to be a stress-filled workaholic. I may yearn for a simpler life one day.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:37 AM

578 posts, read 1,295,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel Mama View Post
Visited Seattle years ago and while I do like it, I'm not crazy about the constant rainy weather.
The thing is that Seattle isn't all rainy. It gets hot and sunny, comfortable and sunny, humid and sunny, as well as snowy ... it does change. There seem to be a lot more AA jobs up there though, and the prices for real estate are cheaper.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:10 PM

170 posts, read 292,202 times
I moved away from the Bay Area. I moved to paradise in an island in the middle of the pacific. I still own my home in the Bay Area and I go back there every 3 months for work. I'm happy with my decision. Will I end up there again? Maybe... but not in the near future.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:50 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,936 times
I want to move from the Bay Area. although I was born here and i love the climate, the money you can make here, and the diversity, I'm tired of the high cost of living and the ultra liberal culture. plus, I don't want to live in suburbs anymore and it's unreachable to ever live in SF because it's so expensive.

My only choice is to leave, as many of my friends have done. The COL is driving away so many people and jobs.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
I want to move from the Bay Area. although I was born here and i love the climate, the money you can make here, and the diversity, I'm tired of the high cost of living and the ultra liberal culture. plus, I don't want to live in suburbs anymore and it's unreachable to ever live in SF because it's so expensive.

My only choice is to leave, as many of my friends have done. The COL is driving away so many people and jobs.
You are not alone same situation here. But there is a limit to eerything to how much one can tolerate. The traffic has got to be real bad here and people just taking advantage of others wanting $$$$$$
In fact there are some suburbs that are worse than SF. Can't get anywhere because it is too crowded or too much traffic and all the time wasted waiting in lines wherever you go. Think about it.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I'm fortunate to be pretty well off, and I consider moving away from this place. We may do it one day. Not because of money, but because of stress. The Bay area is beautiful and carries with it the promise of a wonderful lifestyle, but the irony is that to make the money to live here, you have to be a stress-filled workaholic. I may yearn for a simpler life one day.
Unless you are a rich person or come from a wealthy family one can afford it here.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:25 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Lately, I've been thinking of Hawaii, but I'm sure living there isn't the same as having a vacation there.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:34 AM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
You are not alone same situation here. But there is a limit to eerything to how much one can tolerate. The traffic has got to be real bad here and people just taking advantage of others wanting $$$$$$
lol. so many people here in the Bay Area are in the same camp. a lot of my friends have left the bay area or are making plans to leave eventually. the only reason why im still here is because i live with family and im trying to get an apprenticeship job (electricians).

Quote:
In fact there are some suburbs that are worse than SF.
the inner east bay suburbs are **** (hayward, san leandro, etc.). but in all cases, all the action in the Bay Area happens in SF. it's why i would like to live there but that ain't going to happen. as you can see on the map, there's no way i can afford to live in SF.

Quote:
Can't get anywhere because it is too crowded or too much traffic and all the time wasted waiting in lines wherever you go. Think about it.
that's life in coastal california. we're all cramped up on the coast because it's where everybody wants to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland