Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 03:31 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,067,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USABoundPerhaps View Post
So I drove down to the South San Francisco ferry terminal yesterday and while the parking seems a bit odd I am not sure how there is no overnight parking when there seems to be people living there in their cars!

But it's all pointless right now as we just can't seem to find anywhere to live at the moment. There is nothing within our price range on the market in any location. We are looking at San Mateo, Foster City, Palo Alto (not east), Mountain View, Alameda and there is nothing.
Do you insist on a monolithic house, or is renting an apartment or buying a condo a possibility? Housing is expensive in the bay area. it is comparable to London or Paris; everyone lives in a"flat" unless they have a lot of money.

Btw my advice is to move close to public transit, such as bart, caltrain, or light rail, to make commutes quicker and easier.

Last edited by neutrino78x; 08-13-2014 at 03:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 03:50 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Alameda is very affordable for a safe town with good schools. Amazingly so.

Many people need to scale down their expectations when they move to the SF Bay Area. I can only guess that you are looking for the type of housing that only the rich and famous can afford.

Recently read forums from 2 different posters from the Atlanta GA area looking for 4 bedroom 3 bath homes with swimming pools and large yards for the price of what you can find a 2 - 3 bdrm place with 1 bathroom here, if you're lucky.

I'm sure you can find decent housing for your family in Alameda, if you get real about what you really need

Old 08-13-2014, 04:13 PM

17 posts, read 27,895 times
We are looking for a 3bed house with outside access (a small yard is fine), parking for 2 cars and within range of a good school. Our budget was $3500 per month but we have realized we will have to up that budget a bit.

Right now on Craigslist there is like 5 properties listed within our loose needs in Alameda. We are from London and lived in a small house so we are not looking for palatial properties. We just want to live somewhere nice with good schools and easy(ish) access to my work.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:21 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,243 times
I did a quick search on Craigslist and found 6 properties that meet your basic needs. FYI, you will not find any places with 2 off-street parking spaces, but you can easily park one car on the street in almost any location in Alameda.

3bd/1ba Victorian Flat near beach. 20 mins to city (ideal Alameda experience)
Spacious 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom beach condo! (decent condo option)
Walk to the BEACH! NO SHARED WALLS! (overpriced considering square footage, but still meets your needs)
Beautifully Landscaped Park-like Atmosphere Surround This Three Bdrm (overpriced considering location, but okay nonetheless)
$3500/ 3br -- 1,664ft² - Bright, Sunny and Spacious 3 bed, 2 bath in (perfect, but at the very high end of your budget)
2009 San Jose Avenue #D (good townhouse option)

Old 08-13-2014, 07:24 PM

578 posts, read 1,294,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
I did a quick search on Craigslist and found 6 properties that meet your basic needs. FYI, you will not find any places with 2 off-street parking spaces, but you can easily park one car on the street in almost any location in Alameda.

Spacious 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom beach condo! (decent condo option)
Walk to the BEACH! NO SHARED WALLS! (overpriced considering square footage, but still meets your needs)
Beautifully Landscaped Park-like Atmosphere Surround This Three Bdrm (overpriced considering location, but okay nonetheless)
$3500/ 3br -- 1,664ft² - Bright, Sunny and Spacious 3 bed, 2 bath in (perfect, but at the very high end of your budget)
2009 San Jose Avenue #D (good townhouse option)
IMO this one is actually the best option: Spacious 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom beach condo! (decent condo option)

The Willows is actually right next to the shopping center and is actually across from the beach.

This is also a good option ... $3100 gives you the backyard. ^^

Do NOT go with this option. It's not overpriced (considering studios are 1900), but it is in a bad area. Anything on the East Side and Harbor Bay is a good place to look.

2 off-street parking will be hard. We live in an apartment complex and pay for our second spot, however it's true that there's street parking everywhere here. You just have to be out by 9AM.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
OP, your budget is completely do-able, and you won't have to compromise much at all. Perhaps the whole move is just overwhelming right now. But, things are looking good for you. I think you'll love Alameda, and taking the ferry should be really pleasant.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:02 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,875 times
Quote:
Hi all again

We are still really smitten with alameda and I would like some info/opinion on commuting daily from alameda to south San Francisco daily. My office is just off the 101 (its near downtown SSF itself - sorry don't know the name of the area exactly).

So saying I have to be in work 9 to 5 daily would an hour commute be the average? I can handle an hour commute with the occasional traffic issues. I will probably telecommute one day a week after the first few months are over.

Is it doable driving daily from alameda to SSF?

I know this sort of question is asked a hundred times but I can't find any definitive information on this specific route.
Why not live in South SF itself and keep life simple? You can always drive over to east bay to enjoy the weekends.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:00 AM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
But it's all pointless right now as we just can't seem to find anywhere to live at the moment. There is nothing within our price range on the market in any location. We are looking at San Mateo, Foster City, Palo Alto (not east), Mountain View, Alameda and there is nothing.
Maybe try:
1)expand the search to Pacifica,the area of Daly City near Serramonte Mall & the part of SSF west of El Camino Real.
2)Squeeze into a 2 bedroom. A 1200 sq. ft. 2br,2 bath might be better than a tiny 1000 sq ft 3br,1 bath flat.

These are good Daly City locations.

*** BEAUTIFUL HOUSE WITH VIEWS OF THE CITY***

Condo for Rent, $2700

Old 08-14-2014, 01:29 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felinius View Post
IMO this one is actually the best option: Spacious 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom beach condo! (decent condo option)

The Willows is actually right next to the shopping center and is actually across from the beach.

This is also a good option ... $3100 gives you the backyard. ^^

Do NOT go with this option. It's not overpriced (considering studios are 1900), but it is in a bad area. Anything on the East Side and Harbor Bay is a good place to look.
1. Thanks for the clarification. I agree with you. The map on the Craigslist ad is incorrect, and I missed the written address line since I assumed it matched the map. Considering the actual property location, this gets bumped way up the list. I'd still choose the remodeled house or Victorian flat first, as they give you a yard and more of a single-family house feeling, but overall this is a good option.

2. I wouldn't really call this area bad. The complex next door to it (to the east, towards Webster) is pretty sketchy IMO but this property doesn't seem bad. Nonetheless, the location isn't very appealing compared to the other options.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:43 PM

17 posts, read 27,895 times
Does anyone have any opinion on the bayport area in alameda? Local area, schools (elementary) etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland