Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 05:03 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times

Advertisements

Hipsters are hippy wannabes... they wear clothes that look like garbage, but in reality it cost them around $100 for that outfit, they don't want to support greedy corporations, but will glady pay $15-$20 from a hipster owned restaurant...etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 05:24 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Patronizing locally-owned businesses keeps the profits in the local economy. That's a good thing. That's one thing that's so attractive about much of the Bay Area. Some of the communities enact policies that support locally-owned businesses over national chains.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:51 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
I like local restaurants, but that's because the food tastes better than most chain restaurants. I don't think that makes me a hipster though.

I think the most apt way to describe a hipster is that it's someone who's trying super hard not to look mainstream or ordinary, yet they fail at fooling anyone.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:40 PM

555 posts, read 803,429 times
O4KL4ND:

Don't forget how during the last NFL season, the Seattle 12th Man freaks actually bought a billboard next to Candlestick Park to taunt the 49ers fans; then embargoed ticket sales to the Bay Area for the NFL Championship. I won't even go into their deplorable antics here in the city after the Super Bowl win, but it shows the crass and unsportsmanlike behavior that even Raiders' fans---who have a reputation for being a little rowdy---would never tolerate.

And you can see that same spirit reflected in some comments on this thread too; they're evidently even trolling non-Seattle threads to pounce on anybody who might criticize their ' We're-Number-One-In-Everything' city! LOL

Old 08-23-2014, 07:47 PM

I think hipsters are basically the hangers-on of the tech industry. When the tech industry comes into an area with new money, the hipsters are the people they hire at minimum wage to do menial jobs---but the hipsters think they should be millionaires like their bosses. Their envy drives them to act like cheap imitations of the people who are really successful in the tech industry; while at the same time they take a passive-aggressive, faux-progressive political and social stances just to get back at the guys above.

Whenever the hipsters take over a neighborhood, their natural allies, the street losers, follow. These are the ones who can't even rate a minimum-wage job but have the same sense of entitlement. That's why everywhere they go, they turn their neighborhoods into dumps.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:53 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
O4KL4ND:

Don't forget how during the last NFL season, the Seattle 12th Man freaks actually bought a billboard next to Candlestick Park to taunt the 49ers fans; then embargoed ticket sales to the Bay Area for the NFL Championship. I won't even go into their deplorable antics here in the city after the Super Bowl win, but it shows the crass and unsportsmanlike behavior that even Raiders' fans---who have a reputation for being a little rowdy---would never tolerate.

And you can see that same spirit reflected in some comments on this thread too; they're evidently even trolling non-Seattle threads to pounce on anybody who might criticize their ' We're-Number-One-In-Everything' city! LOL
Congrats on winning ONE championship. By all means, enjoy your recent, limited success. But if you keep bringing it up (in an SF forum, no less) and bragging about it, it makes you sound as bad as a bandwagon SF Giants fan.

Last edited by 04kL4nD; 08-23-2014 at 08:04 PM..

Old 08-23-2014, 08:12 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
that is the most ridiculous comment ever, a wigger is just about the polar opposite of a hipster, rofl.. Neither group really exists, though, so keep calling people you don't know whatever you like.
Fair enough. I have absolutely zero interest in either group.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:20 PM

O4KL4ND:
Oh, I agree: living here in Seattle (for now) I can you that the bandwagon is even worse up here. I fell asleep once with the radio on, and when I woke up, they were actually doing an in-depth interview with the Seahawks' laundry staff. The local media is a like a Seahawk CNN: 24/7 coverage with an occasional break for actual news.

I guarantee though if the Seahawks start losing, you won't hear a peep of these guys about them.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:40 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,521,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Young person, 20's-30's.

You'll get other definitions based on whatever it is about young people that someone doesn't like (clothes, hair, music, hobbies, attitudes, etc.) but it still comes down to "young people".

You know you're getting old when you can label the younger generations
Spot on (particularly in reference to college-educated young people). It's pretty much an update to the age-old American "get off my lawn" pastime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
No there are some hipster interests and hipster clothing styles. Not every youngster is a hipster. You'll wNt to add on things like appreciation for artisan cocktails, coffee with a pedigree, craft beers, indie guitar driven music and sometimes bicycling for transportation or bike touring (but not bike racing).
Artisan cocktails, or cheap beer, or fancy beer, or independent music, or using a bike, or an entire list of things that people may or may not like/do. It's a catchall for something that annoys you about young adults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
Wow, all the people bitching about Oakland on this thread about hipsters don't even know what a hipster is.
Go look on the fancy interweb and wikipedia. Or just walk around NOPA and mission for a few minutes.
Sigh . . .

NOPA is a restaurant. Divisadero is a street with a lot of college-educated young people (and a lot of multi-generation SF families). The Mission is a neighborhood with a lot of . . . college-educated young people (and multi-generation SF families, but you were not talking about those).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
YEAH. It's apparently morphed into "anyone different than me" who is on trend with whatever the trend is. My kids are "hipsters" but are the same people they have always been (and nothing alike either) but now they have a couple plaid shirts so....

The thing is, it's almost the new "yuppie". Some of these people have $$$ and that's what's driving the prices up in Oakland and everywhere else. It's not just the tech companies, although techies can be yuppies and hipsters too. It get's confusing when you need to identify someone to blame things on.
I forgot, plaid shirts are "hipster," but so are hoodies (as long as the person wearing it is young and white). Jeans are "hipster" if they are tight enough. T-shirts are definitely "hipster," as are messenger bags, laptop bags, and eyeglasses.

Get off my lawn!

Old 08-25-2014, 11:54 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Artisan cocktails, or cheap beer, or fancy beer, or independent music, or using a bike, or an entire list of things that people may or may not like/do. It's a catchall for something that annoys you about young adults.
Not exactly. What makes it hipster is that hipsters think they discovered these things and are the only people doing them. I do half of these things on the list, yet I am self-aware enough to realize I am not the first, nor will I be the last person to appreciate a handcrafted cocktail or the benefits of using your bike to get around town. People have been doing that stuff for 200 years or more.

Quote:
Sigh . . .

NOPA is a restaurant.
You are out of the loop, it is a new neighborhood called North of Panhandle. North Panhandle Neighborhood Association
They had to break off from the Western Addition to justify the price increases.

Quote:
I forgot, plaid shirts are "hipster," but so are hoodies (as long as the person wearing it is young and white). Jeans are "hipster" if they are tight enough. T-shirts are definitely "hipster," as are messenger bags, laptop bags, and eyeglasses.

Get off my lawn!
My dad has summed up hipsters really well. Hippies without a cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland