Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 02:45 PM

9 posts, read 61,222 times

Advertisements

I visited three weeks ago in San Francisco, i finally saw it for myself, and it not as weird and cliche' people said it was, it was actually chill and beautiful. However i do have one slight question. i am a 22 year old male, recently graduated from college, and living life. So my question is how is the dating scene (for a straight male)and making friends in SF. The reason i ask is because people said it can be difficulty at times because of little groups, closed off mindset, and you guys probably know the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 03:00 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,182,026 times
That's the same sort of thing you'll run into anywhere though. A lot of people have a grass is greener mentality and come up with reasons it's so much harder here. Do what you like to do, put yourself out there, be open but don't be pushy, and you'll make friends and get dates. It's really isn't that hard or any different.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:43 PM

12 posts, read 38,555 times
Are you moving to San Fran Trey??

Old 12-30-2007, 12:45 AM

52 posts, read 231,128 times
http://www.metroactive.com/papers/me...glut-9914.html

The depressing title pretty much sums it up

Old 12-30-2007, 02:39 AM

9 posts, read 61,222 times
AussieLuLu, Yes soon, hopefully, and joker32 thanks for the longest story ever, lol

Old 12-30-2007, 02:38 PM

12 posts, read 38,555 times
Well I just arrived in San Francisco two days ago, and I am loving it! Despite being a little cooler then the Australian climate I am having the time of my life. At first it was tricky trying to find the right place to drink and socialize, as the bars aren't all in the one area like they are at home, but I just asked people as I looked around the city and eventually found some awesome bars and clubs to drink and dance at. I was also a bit hesitant to go out by myself, being a single female in such a big town, but I did and found that there were plenty of people just like me trying to make some mates. Give it a whirl, if you dont like it you can always move again!

Old 01-01-2008, 06:48 PM

146 posts, read 644,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker32 View Post
http://www.metroactive.com/papers/me...glut-9914.html

The depressing title pretty much sums it up
I would say that's an extreme but bay area does suck for dating in general (ymmv of course).

Last edited by jscore; 01-01-2008 at 06:58 PM..

Old 01-04-2008, 11:36 PM

2 posts, read 14,342 times
I would say that article that was posted isn't really relevant. Sure, I only got through about 1/3 of it, but SF is NOT the Silicone Valley. There are tons of women in SF, it you aren't a complete loser, you should be fine

That said, I have found the young of SF to be VERY trendy. Maybe it is because I tend to run in that crowd, but you better sure as hell love indie kids. Tight pants, bikes, PBR, get used to it. I am 22, straight male as well, and I happen to be moving to sf in a week or two. I will keep you posted on how it turns out...

Oh, and as for dating, damn man, think of all the options. Sure there are tons of dudes, but they are just as into you as the women are!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:46 PM

38 posts, read 123,370 times
You will love S.F. !!! I miss it terribly!! I say 22 years old in the prime of your life you could be in a better city. Best of Luck.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:32 AM

30,438 posts, read 52,097,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscore View Post
I would say that's an extreme but bay area does suck for dating in general (ymmv of course).
Off-topic, but what does ymmv stand for? I'm racking my brain, and can't come up with anything!

As for the original question, it is what you make of it... ignore the statistics, since this is a city of nearly a million (4 million or so in the greater Bay Area), so you're bound to find some dates & friends! I haven't really found it easy to find men (I'm a straight female), but that's partly due to my work environment and social habits... I hang out with mostly women and gay men, so we always end up at gay clubs - not really where I'm going to meet MY dates, LOL. Anyway, I don't think you'll have a problem, as long as you're open and friendly. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland