Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 06:50 PM

366 posts, read 452,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I personally think it would be good for the East Bay to take HSR. Oakland can become the new center of commerce and SF can wither. I have family in NYC and upstate NY. I take Amtrak from NYC to Albany. The towns on the Amtrak line are the ones thriving. The ones across the river from the train line are downtrodden slums. Just saying...
"Wither" yeah right. The Peninsula will ALWAYS be more affluent than the East Bay. Remember. Your area is just where our commuters live. You cannot compare Oakland to NY. Oakland is like San Jose-just an overweight suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybear11 View Post
serious eye-rolling laughter at the belief that ownership of a $1.5 million house qualifies one as a "richie rich".

unless you bought that house outright in cash, and as a vacation home or rental property, you are a far cry from "richie rich". at best youre modern day petit bougeosie-- which is actually too charitable. given you inherited your undoubtedly ugly, bloated manse, coupled with your seemingly narrow conception of the world, the more accurate characterization would be self-righteous trash dressed-up in grandpa's fancy clothing. unfortunately, there is no puerile, alliterative two word term for that.
Okay there buddy. I wasn't saying I was a 1 percenter. I'm just a resident of Menlo Park (with many rental properties spread throughout California)that an older post called a "richie richie".
I'm definitely not one of you peasant-like hippies that don't take showers for weeks and attend those "Occupy Wall Street" movements. Compared to them you might as well consider me a Duke or a Baron. I sympathize with those in my wealth bracket and those wealthier than me. We have to stand for all the blame we get from you poor folks.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
So poor people should be first to be impacted by what you perceive to be detrimental to your neighborhood? This really is not helping your case, just making you look more self-righteous and unable to live in a civilized society with others not quite like you. Really, it sounds like you're fighting an urban aesthetic which you think is magically packaged with crime and decay, a mindset trapped half a century ago.
I'm merely trying to help the East Bay. They need the extra wealth generated by the HSR. We don't. We also don't need the crime and decay associated with urban aesthetic (believe it or not, ugly concrete pillars and track sticking up in the middle of a nice suburb isn't exactly beneficial for property value. I'm sure people in the Oakland, Hayward, San Leandro, and Fremont slums would welcome the urbanization.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:10 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBR View Post
"Wither" yeah right. The Peninsula will ALWAYS be more affluent than the East Bay. Remember. Your area is just where our commuters live. You cannot compare Oakland to NY. Oakland is like San Jose-just an overweight suburb.
Hmm, don't use "always" because there is no area that will necessarily be always one way.. I'm not comparing Oakland to NY. There is no comparison anywhere in this area. I'm just saying that the train went through the towns that stayed affluent and the towns on the other side of the river suffered. Congratulations on living in the owners side of the bay while us lowly worker commuters suffer in our slums. Cheers my master. LOL

Old 09-24-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Hmm, don't use "always" because there is no area that will necessarily be always one way.. I'm not comparing Oakland to NY. There is no comparison anywhere in this area. I'm just saying that the train went through the towns that stayed affluent and the towns on the other side of the river suffered. Congratulations on living in the owners side of the bay while us lowly worker commuters suffer in our slums. Cheers my master. LOL
Well, you can't use a Wild West era belief that you need resources right next to something in order for it to be successful IE Phoenix or Las Vegas.
Sarcasm aside, I'm not trying to demean you but I don't see the East Bay surpassing the Peninsula for wealth. It has nowhere near the amount of business.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:41 PM

833 posts, read 1,198,538 times
Quote:
It doesn't help the slums (like Hayward)
If you call Hayward a slum, you've never travelled. Move your 1st world problems elsewhere with "your" inherited house. Seriously, who in the heck do you think you are?

Old 09-24-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
If you call Hayward a slum, you've never travelled. Move your 1st world problems elsewhere with "your" inherited house. Seriously, who in the heck do you think you are?
I lived in Hayward so I have authority to describe it. Compared to Menlo Park and my neighborhood that place is a slum.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:53 PM

833 posts, read 1,198,538 times
Quote:
I lived in Hayward so I have authority to describe it. Compared to Menlo Park and my neighborhood that place is a slum.
Ok.... compared to blackhawk MP is a slum. Who cares?

Old 09-24-2014, 07:59 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,485 times
Quote:
Well, you can't use a Wild West era belief that you need resources right next to something in order for it to be successful IE Phoenix or Las Vegas.
Sarcasm aside, I'm not trying to demean you but I don't see the East Bay surpassing the Peninsula for wealth. It has nowhere near the amount of business.
I'm not talking about Sun Belt cities. Anyway, doesn't matter. You are coming across as snobby for no reason. It sounds like your parents bought a house for 70k in 1972 and you inherited it at a value of 1.5 million or whatever you claim in value. I don't know that the peninsula has more wealth. It sounds like you have never been to the East Bay if you think it is all a slum??? Whatever dude... Be happy over there and good luck with the HSR coming through your back yard. Research the issues that came up in other countries. That will give you an idea of what to expect. Good luck.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:10 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,553,620 times
Quote:
You better darn well please us. Us "Richie Riches" are the sole reason you can have your fancy POS HSR. The field workers in the central valley and the hoodlums in LA sure aren't footing the bill. While a lot of you yuppies might like the modern high rise platforms some of us HATE the city and had rather have a traditional neighborhood. We shouldn't be forced live next to some hideous eye sore of a raised platform that'll kill our property values and ruin our view. Just DEAL WITH sharing Caltran's track. I don't understand why you people couldn't have your stupid HSR on the East Bay. Those hoodlums need all the technology they can get so places like Hayward, Oakland, and San Leandro don't decay further into slums.
The grade separation for Caltrain will happen regardless of HSR. I'm not sure when your family bought the property that the San Francisco and San Jose Railroad then ruined by building tracks next to it in the 1860s. I'm sorry we want to have Caltrain avoid trespassers committing suicide at the grade crossings oh great rich one. Some of use would love to just get to work on time and improve the infrastructure we already have to do so, sorry that us needing to get to work to earn money to purchase our property annoys you and your landed friends, but please bear with us, as that is how the economy of the state works, people work, not everyone has the luxury of inheriting their property, some of us have to earn it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland