Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 07:57 PM

833 posts, read 1,199,125 times

Advertisements

*Mods I made a thread in the travel section but wanted to try here as well as it's quite specific to the bay area.

I'm thinking about taking a train instead of the usual drive/fly to Seattle, WA. I figured it would give us the chance to take in a scenic view without neither my wife or I driving. Has anyone done it? How were the amenities, service, comfortability, etc. Do they have a bed? or what are the arrangements? Any information would be wonderful! Thank you.

I do see they have a room for the premium service. I would think it would be more than worth it ($300 difference) any more in-depth information from anyone with experience?

Regards

Last edited by mrazyattic; 09-25-2014 at 09:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 08:29 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
I've done it, it's great. I would only do it with the premium service, though I've done it with the basic service, but from southern Oregon, not from Seattle, so it was a shorter trip. I think you'll enjoy it. Be aware, though, that the trip will occasionally be interrupted for 20 minutes at a time, while the train gets put on a side track to make way for the freight trains that own the track. You'll notice this mainly at night. Anyway, it's a great way to travel the coast.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've done it, it's great. I would only do it with the premium service, though I've done it with the basic service, but from southern Oregon, not from Seattle, so it was a shorter trip. I think you'll enjoy it. Be aware, though, that the trip will occasionally be interrupted for 20 minutes at a time, while the train gets put on a side track to make way for the freight trains that own the track. You'll notice this mainly at night. Anyway, it's a great way to travel the coast.
Awesome. I have been researching for the last 3 hours straight and I must say - I haven't heard a single negative comment. I just found out that they have a bar service but it would probably be cheaper to bring your own. Do you know if amtrak provides ice?

By premium do you mean the full room or the roomette? I always thought the roomette was a full bedroom, but I guess not. Seems like the only difference between the two is a lack of a private bathroom/shower in the roomette. My wife would absolutely love it, but I'm not sure if it is worth the price difference which is $444 vs $926

I'll end up taking coach from Seattle to Vancouver BC since it is just a 4 hr ride. What kinds of people did you encounter on the amtrak? I'm hoping it won't be a greyhound experience. Been there done that as a kid lol.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
Awesome. I have been researching for the last 3 hours straight and I must say - I haven't heard a single negative comment. I just found out that they have a bar service but it would probably be cheaper to bring your own. Do you know if amtrak provides ice?

By premium do you mean the full room or the roomette? I always thought the roomette was a full bedroom, but I guess not. Seems like the only difference between the two is a lack of a private bathroom/shower in the roomette. My wife would absolutely love it, but I'm not sure if it is worth the price difference which is $444 vs $926

I'll end up taking coach from Seattle to Vancouver BC since it is just a 4 hr ride. What kinds of people did you encounter on the amtrak? I'm hoping it won't be a greyhound experience. Been there done that as a kid lol.

Oh, good grief! You make it sound like some rural narrow-gauge train in India, or something. There's a bar car, and a restaurant car. Probably you can ask the porter in your roomette car to bring ice if you need it.

I don't know what the roomettes are like these days. They were pretty cramped before. I guess the room's too expensive. Too bad. Well, the roomette will be adequate, though cramped. You can spend time elsewhere, in the bar, or exploring the other amenities. You'll have fun meeting people that way. You meet interesting foreigners. There's a panorama car, or something (I forget what they call it), with extra window space.

There are definitely greyhound-like cars, with seating like on the bus. But there are interesting backpacker types from Australia, NZ, Europeans. Mix and mingle in the bar car, and invite someone to join you for dinner in the dining car, if you meet someone interesting.

The bus to Vancouver is usually a smooth and efficient ride. You'll need a US passport to get back into the US, though (or any valid passport). US authorities no longer accept drivers' licenses as ID.

Aren't you Russian? You'll see that Russia still has the best trains. Well, the best coupes, anyway. Too bad the restaurant service fell apart. But I still love Russian trains. Everyone who's been on one does.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-25-2014 at 09:21 PM..

Old 09-25-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Oh, good grief! You make it sound like some rural narrow-gauge train in India, or something. There's a bar car, and a restaurant car. Probably you can ask the porter in your roomette car to bring ice if you need it.

I don't know what the roomettes are like these days. They were pretty cramped before. I guess the room's too expensive. Too bad. Well, the roomette will be adequate, though cramped. You can spend time elsewhere, in the bar, or exploring the other amenities. You'll have fun meeting people that way. You meet interesting foreigners. There's a panorama car, or something (I forget what they call it), with extra window space.

There are definitely greyhound-like cars, with seating like on the bus. But there are interesting backpacker types from Australia, NZ, Europeans. Mix and mingle in the bar car, and invite someone to join you for dinner in the dining car, if you meet someone interesting.

The bus to Vancouver is usually a smooth and efficient ride. You'll need a US passport to get back into the US, though. US authorities no longer accept drivers' licenses.
Well heck! I don't know lol. We should be ok from the youtube videos I have watched. My wife is petite at 5'2" 125lbs and I am 5'10" so we don't need much space. From what I have read, you spend most of your time outside of your room anyways.

Sounds fun, hopefully we meet someone interesting (at the bar because YEA!!!) truthfully I have a little anxiety while traveling, so I usually like to have a few drinks to level out.

The panorama car looks wonderful. We'll surly spend a lot of our time in there. Thanks for all the information.

Hey hey hey hey... How do you know I am Russian? Are you spying on me ruth? lol I am actually half black/russian. Weird mix.... I know. But yes, Russian trains are awesome. That Sochi train was pretty cool.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Well heck! I don't know lol. We should be ok from the youtube videos I have watched. My wife is petite at 5'2" 125lbs and I am 5'10" so we don't need much space. From what I have read, you spend most of your time outside of your room anyways.

Sounds fun, hopefully we meet someone interesting (at the bar because YEA!!!) truthfully I have a little anxiety while traveling, so I usually like to have a few drinks to level out.

The panorama car looks wonderful. We'll surly spend a lot of our time in there. Thanks for all the information.
Well, the idea is that the roomette really is too small for two people to hang out in at the same time for very long, so you make use of the other amenities on the train, and just use your roomette as a home base and for sleeping. BE SURE to tip the employees! The porter/s in your car, especially. They only make minimum wage, if that. Be kind. Tip the person who shows you to your roomette and helps you with luggage, or shows you how the roomette works. After that, tip anytime they provide a service, like if they bring you ice, or once at the end of the trip, for everything.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Well, the idea is that the roomette really is too small for two people to hang out in at the same time for very long, so you make use of the other amenities on the train, and just use your roomette as a home base and for sleeping. BE SURE to tip the employees! The porter/s in your car, especially. They only make minimum wage, if that. Be kind. Tip the person who shows you to your roomette and helps you with luggage, or shows you how the roomette works. Tip anytime they provide a service.
Note taken. Tip if good service is given check!

Old 09-25-2014, 10:37 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,207 times
Quote:
Well, the idea is that the roomette really is too small for two people to hang out in at the same time for very long, so you make use of the other amenities on the train, and just use your roomette as a home base and for sleeping. BE SURE to tip the employees! The porter/s in your car, especially. They only make minimum wage, if that. Be kind. Tip the person who shows you to your roomette and helps you with luggage, or shows you how the roomette works. After that, tip anytime they provide a service, like if they bring you ice, or once at the end of the trip, for everything.
I don't want to completely derail this thread (pun gloriously intended), but can you explain why tipping someone BECAUSE they make minimum wage is a proper reason? I will always tip GOOD service, not expected service. The porter in my car the last time I did a roommette wasn't the kindest of fellows.

I haven't done that specific route, but 2 years ago I did the Empire Builder from Williston, ND to Minneapolis-St Paul, and I had a blast in my roommette. Yeah, it would be cramped with 2 people for sure and the bunk situation thing doesn't work for all people, but the actual full bedrooms are just not a reasonable deal for anyone. I'm curious who actually pays that much for them. Even for points redemptions, it's ridiculous.

I have done Portland to Seattle and back, and the scenery there is amazing, but unfortunately what I presume the best part of the longer trip would be (through the cascades) is done in the middle of the night on the northern part of the route (at least it was the last time i checked the schedule).

Old 09-25-2014, 11:20 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,620 times
Quote:

If you want to upgrade to a full room, I suggest bringing cash and asking the conductor or room car attendant once you get on the train. They will often sell extra rooms for much cheaper than the online price. The room car attendant is probably a better bet than the conductor because he/she may give you a really low price and just pocket it...

I'm not sure if they have ice. Also, I would be prepared to wait a long time for the train. In my experience that route is usually a couple of hours late. You can call a # or check online (I think) how far behind it is so you don't have to be at the station waiting the entire time. However, they throw a couple of extra hours near the end of the schedule so it usually ends up arriving somewhat on time.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
I don't want to completely derail this thread (pun gloriously intended), but can you explain why tipping someone BECAUSE they make minimum wage is a proper reason? I will always tip GOOD service, not expected service. The porter in my car the last time I did a roommette wasn't the kindest of fellows.
Totally fair enough! But if they're neither friendly/outgoing, nor brusque/rude, but just being helpful in a neutral fashion, taking time to orient someone about the roomette and car, schlepping luggage, they deserve a tip. They're taking time, and performing a service. They don't HAVE to explain everything, or even handle your luggage. They could leave you to your own devices. If they spend a little time and effort, they deserve a tip, as long as they're not surly.

It's like with curbside check-in at the airport. I learned my lesson once, when the guy checked me in, then said, "I'll be your baggage handler", or something to that effect. I didn't get it, and started collecting my carry-on stuff to leave, and he repeated himself. Finally, it dawned on me that I was supposed to tip him. It's not going to kill me to give him a couple of bucks. He was helpful, thorough, and efficient, taking time to answer questions.

If you want to see how bad the "but they're paid to do all that, anyway" ethos can get, go to Russia. Observe how staff deal with passengers. (Not counting the trains. I LOVE the trains!) People tend to be surly, and bark at you. Do you really want things to devolve to that level? I can spare the 2 bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland