Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 08:00 PM

97 posts, read 104,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
Go to AC Transit | Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District. I believe it is the transbay schedule Line O. Below is a link. Looks to be about a 35 minute bus ride with no stops once you get out of Alameda.

Maps and Schedules | AC Transit
Not a bad option, it looks like it has about 3 stops before hitting san fran bus station: San Francisco (Transbay Temporary Terminal)

If I am close enough though, it might be a lot faster to take a bus/bike up to fruitvale station and take the BART in.

The reviews are a bit alarming thoug, LOL
http://www.yelp.com/biz/fruitvale-bart-station-oakland

How's the CCW in california? haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
if you are ballsy you can just ride your motorcycle.
Lane splitting is legal in CA and it's the fastest way to get from the east bay to SF...
From what i've read, it's not legal, but it's technically not illegal. Which is why it's "allowed" in the state. I have done a fair bit of reading on it haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 09:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivithemage View Post
Our plan is to drive around and see what areas we like ... just trying to get some time off current jobs to line it up. Luckily new employer is being awesome and giving me until the end of Jan to start.

Good to know about the ferry, how direct/fast are the buses from Alameda? Or would I be better off motorcycle/bike/car to the BART system and take that in and walk the rest of my way to work?
Really direct depending on where you live. I took the "w" when i lived in alameda. There were 2 stops after mine and it went right to the freeway. Not all routes are equally direct. The "o" has all day service and a bit less direct. The commuter hours only ones tend to be faster.

p.s. Bart is ridiculously packed during the commute. The bus is not, and has wifi on most routes.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:37 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Fellow midwesterner here.

With kids, avoid any city that touches the 880 freeway, unless you want to pay for private schools/exclusive daycare.
Isn't Mission San Jose in Fremont supposed to be the best high school in North America or something like that?

Old 11-03-2014, 01:33 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
It's closer to 680 than 880, but yeah, something like that.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:40 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
It's closer to 680 than 880, but yeah, something like that.
Yeah but the comment was to avoid any city that touches 880, which seems incredibly overgeneralized.

I would agree that in any particular city, the neighborhoods near 880 are usually not as good as the neighborhoods up in the hills.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:55 PM

Consider the source of that comment, and take it with a grain of salt.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:22 PM

68 posts, read 94,895 times
I moved from Minneapolis almost 2 years ago. I make about the same as you will be. No kids though and my future wife works, but doesn't have a huge income herself. I really like it, but we do see moving back to MN some day.

Have you looked out in the Sunset or Richmond at all? The weather can get chilly and foggy out there, but you can deal with it if you can deal with MN. It's really neat out by the ocean. Especially since you will really appreciate more than a lot of CA natives. The motorcycle will come in really hand from there too. It would turn an hour commute on the train into 25 mins. You'd have to pay for parking, but it will be cheap compared to a car.

The east bay can be nice, but you moved out here for the experience. And the experience of living in SF is pretty dang cool.

100K isn't going to feel like 75 did in Mpls though. You'll most likely end up in a small, old apartment that won't even compare to what you had back there. But don't worry. It's not forever. Either you'll find a new job after a year or two and get a nice bump up or you'll get sick of it and move to MN. Win win really.

Good luck.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:50 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
Isn't Mission San Jose in Fremont supposed to be the best high school in North America or something like that?
No. I have no idea where you got that. They are not even the best in the bay or CA. So not anything like that.

You're probably thinking of Lowell in Sf, which is not the best, but fairly up there.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:56 AM

Actually, you're incorrect. Mission San Jose is a fantastic high school.

Mission San Jose High School - Fremont, California - CA - School overview

An API score of 950 isn't high enough for you?

Old 11-05-2014, 08:27 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
That does not make it the best school in the bay, let alone the country.

And at their income level, they likely would not be living in the wealthy part of Fremont.

The long commute to Fremont flats does not make sense, when there are much shorter commutes to better cities like Walnut Creek and Alameda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland