Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 07:27 AM

595 posts, read 560,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
Up until now, I have given you the utmost respect. But your caricature of my observations suggests that while I have respected your mistaken but (I treated as) earnest position, you seem more interested in stirring the pot, sowing discord, and inciting passions. Consequently, I will no longer dignify your position with detailed responses.

No, that is not what I said.

Who cares? You're responding to a figment of your own imagination. I didn't say the things to which you see yourself as responding, so I have no desire and no need to respond to your response. Indeed, no one needs to respond to the fantasy straw-person position you have "summarized."

If you want to have a serious discussion, you may go back and re-read my previous post, see if you can summarize it rather than caricature it, and we can continue. Here's a hint to get you started. The second sentence of your point 1, below:

is something I already said when I wrote:

What part of "other factors" in my earlier diagram do you not understand?

Finally, I offer one parting observation, on the issue of resisting arrest.

The concept of resisting arrest is a seriously problematic one. If a police officer approaches you and asks you to put out your hands so s/he can handcuff you, and you twist your body to put a pencil down on a table and twist back with your hands outstretched, they can charge you with resisting arrest--whether the charge sticks or not--because you did not literally drop everything and immediately comply. More troubling, it is well known that when a person is in physical distress--having difficulty breathing, swallowing, seeing, hearing--their body will engage in involuntary moves in an attempt to clear the distress. For example, a person feeling their neck constricted will, if possible, use their hands to pull at whatever is near their neck. If the person is confused owing to such distress, they may try to push away at nearby persons. A lack of understanding of physiology may lead some to conclude that a person behaving in this manner is resisting arrest. But what the person may be trying to do is prevent their suffocation. Interpreting their efforts to breathe as resisting arrest is even more likely if standard police strategy of completely overwhelming the one person with 3, 4, 5 officers is implemented, because no one officer may recognize the multiple distresses that may be motivating the targets vain efforts to free themselves.

Such issues and complications could have come out at trial. Alas, there will be no trial in this case.
It's not over, there's a civil case.

SES of races tracked to the end of time traces back to different countries as everyone in the USA is an immigrant.

Doesn't explain vast differences in productivity between latin america/africa versus Asia and Europe.

Filtering for catholic school blacks and concluding that it couldn't be genetic is like filtering for the most docile pitbulls and concluding pitbulls are genetically as docile as shih tzus... Simply doesn't matter

Your indignation doesn't matter.

Yes let's certify every police officer as nurse practitioner because that is practical.

Academia is a wondrously idealistic place. Totally opposite of a police officer's world

Last edited by bigboibob; 12-23-2014 at 07:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 08:56 AM

758 posts, read 551,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboibob View Post
It's not over, there's a civil case.

SES of races tracked to the end of time traces back to different countries as everyone in the USA is an immigrant.

Doesn't explain vast differences in productivity between latin america/africa versus Asia and Europe.

Filtering for catholic school blacks and concluding that it couldn't be genetic is like filtering for the most docile pitbulls and concluding pitbulls are genetically as docile as shih tzus... Simply doesn't matter

Your indignation doesn't matter.

Yes let's certify every police officer as nurse practitioner because that is practical.

Academia is a wondrously idealistic place. Totally opposite of a police officer's world
Just one clarification: I have no indignation. I am just a good investor. If I make a financial investment, and the investment shows signs of being a money pit, I get out of the investment. Same with time. I do this as a researcher (e.g., start reading in an area with a research idea, realize the costs in time and money won't pay off, so stop), teacher (e.g., start working with a student, realize the student is just not able to learn the material, so stop--usually by encouraging the student toward some other kind of material), and so on. It's called cutting your losses.

Come on, Big boy. No disrespect intended, but you're not important enough to me to inspire indignation. This is a forum. I just tried to add to the informative nature of it. If you or someone else resists real proven information, no big deal to me. I just won't engage their points any longer because, hey, what's the point?

"What is the point?" you may ask. Well, I engage in dialogue to teach AND to learn. Some engage for other reasons. Good for them! But, we part company when their reasons are such that my aims become impossible for me to satisfy. And that has happened here. I can't learn enough from you to justify the time expenditure because you prefer to caricature, and I can't teach you enough to justify my time expenditure because you prefer to caricature. Others may, but I have no time for that. It's not indignation, it's just good investment behavior. When I wrote "I will no longer dignify your" I was trying to politely indicate I was no longer going to invest time in responding to your comments. It seemed a nicer way to say "Your comments at this point are not worth my time." But, perhaps that misled you into thinking the opposite, thinking that your comments have stirred a deep sense of outrage or something. For perhaps misleading you on that score, I apologize.

Anyway, take care, and, happy "whatever you celebrate" this season, if anything!

Old 12-23-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
Just one clarification: I have no indignation. I am just a good investor. If I make a financial investment, and the investment shows signs of being a money pit, I get out of the investment. Same with time. I do this as a researcher (e.g., start reading in an area with a research idea, realize the costs in time and money won't pay off, so stop), teacher (e.g., start working with a student, realize the student is just not able to learn the material, so stop--usually by encouraging the student toward some other kind of material), and so on. It's called cutting your losses.

Come on, Big boy. No disrespect intended, but you're not important enough to me to inspire indignation. This is a forum. I just tried to add to the informative nature of it. If you or someone else resists real proven information, no big deal to me. I just won't engage their points any longer because, hey, what's the point?

"What is the point?" you may ask. Well, I engage in dialogue to teach AND to learn. Some engage for other reasons. Good for them! But, we part company when their reasons are such that my aims become impossible for me to satisfy. And that has happened here. I can't learn enough from you to justify the time expenditure because you prefer to caricature, and I can't teach you enough to justify my time expenditure because you prefer to caricature. Others may, but I have no time for that. It's not indignation, it's just good investment behavior. When I wrote "I will no longer dignify your" I was trying to politely indicate I was no longer going to invest time in responding to your comments. It seemed a nicer way to say "Your comments at this point are not worth my time." But, perhaps that misled you into thinking the opposite, thinking that your comments have stirred a deep sense of outrage or something. For perhaps misleading you on that score, I apologize.

Anyway, take care, and, happy "whatever you celebrate" this season, if anything!
Good, likewise! don't let university policies stifle your research too much

Last edited by bigboibob; 12-23-2014 at 09:20 AM..

Old 12-23-2014, 09:28 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Saw photos and videos of the protest in Berkeley. I thought they were suppose to be all peace & love in Berkeley. Is this a local protest or is it pretty much all UC Berkeley students? Has some of the more violent protestors been from Oakland or other areas?
How many cities across the country have had riots after their Sports teams have won championships? Our larger cities are cesspools. What do you find in cesspools? A hint for graduates of schools like Berkley: It starts with an S and ends with a t with a hi in the middle.

Mob mentality is present in many gatherings. All it takes is one or two agitators to light the fire. Inciting to riot used to be a serious felony. Too bad we don't have and enforce similar laws now.

GL2

Old 12-24-2014, 03:34 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
The liberals in Berkeley are a wonderfully peaceful, tolerant bunch...right up until you disagree with them, at which point they will shut down freeways, light cars on fire, smash windows, etc. Truth is, they live for this kind of stuff. They will protest anything and everything at the drop of a hat.

Just today there is news that police responded when a criminal in St. Louis aimed a gun at them. I'm sure that will get their skirts all twisted, too. Look for more violent protests over the next few days! Oh, and watch out on the freeways; they'll be running out there for sure.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:11 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboibob View Post
So...police are to be known as those who spurn academic affairs/academies? Think some who actually went to college might be a bit peeved with such a characterization.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:35 PM

540 posts, read 653,469 times
Funny I called out this Bob guy as a racist and one of the main mods gave me a temporary ban for using the word "racist ". I see now what's going on with this site.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:42 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
Funny I called out this Bob guy as a racist and one of the main mods gave me a temporary ban for using the word "racist ". I see now what's going on with this site.
Which is a bit unfortunate. Bob is a Big Boy, he can handle it...

Old 12-30-2014, 04:22 PM

540 posts, read 653,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Which is a bit unfortunate. Bob is a Big Boy, he can handle it...
You're free to trash Blacks, Latinos and Asians all day long here. Notice his trash has never been edited but as soon as you point it out one of the White suprimacist supporting mods will infraction or ban you.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
You're free to trash Blacks, Latinos and Asians all day long here. Notice his trash has never been edited but as soon as you point it out one of the White suprimacist supporting mods will infraction or ban you.
Read the forum rules. You can create ideas but you cannot directly insult another poster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland