Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 03:31 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times

Advertisements

Yes, some people are just not city dwellers. I lived in Marin County for 23 years and loved it. I was always super glad that we had not moved into the City. I was brought up in a small town, a nature person, and I can't be surrounded by concrete. Its nothing against SF; NO big city would be a good place for me to live. I now live in a very nice neighborhood in the outskirts of Austin, TX. Even then, we had to get a house that backed to open space. Everybody is different. If city dwelling makes you unhappy, you need to figure out another way to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 04:40 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Yes, some people are just not city dwellers. I lived in Marin County for 23 years and loved it. I was always super glad that we had not moved into the City. I was brought up in a small town, a nature person, and I can't be surrounded by concrete. Its nothing against SF; NO big city would be a good place for me to live. I now live in a very nice neighborhood in the outskirts of Austin, TX. Even then, we had to get a house that backed to open space. Everybody is different. If city dwelling makes you unhappy, you need to figure out another way to live.
Marin is great for places with a small-town feel, and proximity to nature, isn't it? For being so close to a big urban region, it's amazing! Lucky you!

Old 01-29-2015, 05:54 PM

209 posts, read 257,642 times
I enjoyed my stay in SW Morgan Hill, in the santa cruz mtns. I was on a bike for awhile and it didn't bother me. Except the twice-weekly thorn the road bike picked up, no issues. Excepting that the Slime patches didNT work as intended. There were definitely some long walks home and elsewhere! Daily life was fun as I had enough $ not to work for awhile.

Beer, music and privacy really made up for it most of the time IME.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:46 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Marin is great for places with a small-town feel, and proximity to nature, isn't it? For being so close to a big urban region, it's amazing! Lucky you!
Yes, I was very lucky. If I could, I would move back. But once you sell out of California, it is very hard to buy back in.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:33 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,015,149 times
So I guess the OP is gone.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:38 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Back to Europe and the old country, I'm guessing.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:47 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
She said she had to stay for family, at least awhile longer. I think she should consider other locations around the Bay. She also needs to resolve her health issue. That has me a little worried. People with chronic health issues can fall through the cracks in our medical system. It sounds like she's been struggling for quite awhile.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 974 times
I know exactly how you feel. I've lived in Alameda and worked in SF for about 10 years now and still don't feel like I belong here. I have not made one true Friend because everyone is stuck up or from such a different upbringing/culture that it's impossible to connect.

I'm from the midwest where things are simpler.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:56 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
You and the OP should become friends. That is, if she's still around

Old 08-16-2015, 11:26 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony4life View Post
I know exactly how you feel. I've lived in Alameda and worked in SF for about 10 years now and still don't feel like I belong here. I have not made one true Friend because everyone is stuck up or from such a different upbringing/culture that it's impossible to connect.

I'm from the midwest where things are simpler.
ROFL... when I read "from such a different upbringing/culture that it's impossible to connect" I was thinking somewhere like Kenya or Guatemala... then I read the Midwest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland