Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 12:29 PM

4 posts, read 4,227 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm living in Paris and I have a restaurant. I'm thinking to live in SF or Oakland or anywhere else.
I would like to buy a restaurant in San Francisco. Of course I will sell my actual restaurant and my house to finance.
I likee the thinking of american people.

My purpose it's to have some advices or contact for my dream

I don't know how to start.

If you need precision I'd be happy to answer (sorry for my english )

Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 12:35 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Have you researched the price of commercial real estate in SF? Have you researched your competition, to see what other French restaurants are there, and what they're doing? The first step to realizing a dream is always--research.

SF is a great place for French cuisine, definitely. Oakland could conceivably support a French restaurant as well. There's a small French restaurant near the border of Berkeley and Oakland that has been doing a brisk business for years. They seem to do a much better job of breakfast and lunch than dinner, according to the reviews, but it's still a popular place. www.lebateauivre.net/ Something special in Jack London Square or on Piedmont Avenue in Oakland could do well, and would be more affordable to buy.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-04-2015 at 01:00 PM..

Old 02-04-2015, 12:46 PM

I don't want necessarily do a french restaurant, I would like to buy an existing restaurant to start and maybe after create a french restaurant. I already looked to real estate restaurant like bizbuysell or loopnet.

Is San Francisco the good city to buy a restaurant ?
It will be big obstacle for me like the way of thinking?
How are employees ? Difficulty of management

Maybe there is a owner of restaurant on the forum.

I would like to have your opinion.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:54 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Have you thought about how you're going to get a work visa? It's very difficult to get one in the US.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:02 PM

I have the choice between two visa.

The Visa investor EB5 or the visa E-1.

The EB5 is the best for me and my family.

I have a budget of 1,8 milion euros for the business and the house

Old 02-04-2015, 01:11 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
You sound moderately wealthy. You'll be just fine in SF. Best of luck.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:15 PM

Thanks for your help 04kl4nD

Old 02-04-2015, 01:38 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
I don't run restaurants but I do own buildings that are rented to Mom and Pop restaurants.

I don't know by "buying a restaurant", you mean buying a building or do you mean buying an existing restaurant business? Many restaurants are part of a multi-unit buildings with dinning at the ground floor and residents above. If you want to "buy an entire building" then you will de facto become a landlord to the tenants living above your restaurants. Don't know if you want to sign up for that role. Also, there are not many restaurant buildings for sale. Probably less than ten at any given moment. I'm talking strictly within San Francisco, you will have more variety outside of SF.

If you want to buy an existing restaurant business, then it is probably an easier task. I see restaurant business for sale all the time but obviously there's a reason why it's for sale (9 out of 10 times the business is losing money).

I think your first order is to learn about the locations and neighborhoods. Picking the right location can make or break a business (and I'm sure you know that). And then you might want to look into leasing an empty space instead of buying a building or an existing business. Trying to rent a desirable space in SF is not easy though. Newspaper has reported some business owners paying a lum sum in the six figures (in addition to rent) in order secure a restaurant space in the Mission District. But the Mission District is always a bit crazy there. I think other neighborhoods are more reasonable. So here again, learn the city and figure out where you would want to place your restaurant at.

I'd also suggest you look outside of SF, like in Oakland, Berkeley, Walnut Creek, San Jose, etc.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:54 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
To start, I recommending the following sites:

1. loopnet.com - a commercial real estate site. You can see part of the listings for free and other listings require a paid membership. Imo, the free listings are usually the good ones. You can search for restaurants for sale, restaurant business for sale, or restaurant space for rent.

2. craigslist.org - go search under commercial real estate for spaces for rent. In terms of rental space I think craigslist.org has more listings than loopnet.com. Not such a good place to find for sale.

3. Redfin.com - this is a residential sites but they do have some multi-unit listing with restaurant at the ground floor that may not appear in loopnet.com.

Not sure how it is in France, but note that in SF you need to abide by the zoning rule. That means you cannot start a restaurant in a commercial space not zoned for one.

Also beware of the grossly complicated business rules regarding restaurants. You will need to google this.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:54 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I'd also suggest you look outside of SF, like in Oakland, Berkeley, Walnut Creek, San Jose, etc.
Walnut Creek isn't a bad idea. A good restaurant there would draw the local Orinda, Lafayette and WC crowd, and eventually, people from other parts of the East Bay. Rents would be a little lower in WC than in SF or Berkeley/Oakland, but the clientele is pretty consistently upscale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland