Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 09:45 PM

24,411 posts, read 27,025,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwizzyFicket View Post
And then there's this. I can absolutely relate. My husband has a job he loves here, which may mean we end up out in Livermore living a Houston lifestyle at three times the cost... but it's hard to wrap my head around paying those kind of prices for the kinds of homes available here. It's a tradeoff, I suppose.
Yeah exactly, I think most people do this, which explains why there are more dogs living in the city vs children lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And in Florida you won't want to be outside about 8 months out of the year.

For people who have never experienced FL weather I tell them run your shower on hot for about 5 minutes than enter the bathroom fully clothed.

And BTW, homeowner's insurance is very pricey in FL.

Oregon has no sales tax, but has high property taxes.

Many times it evens out in the end, and you have to consider quality of life as well.
8 months, you won't want to be outside

Here are the facts...

January: Average High 70 degrees / Average Low 48 degrees
February: Average High 72 degrees / Average Low 49 degrees
March: Average High 78 degrees / Average Low 55 degrees
April: Average High 83 degrees / Average Low 59 degrees
May: Average High 87 degrees / Average Low 65 degrees
June: Average High 90 degrees / Average Low 71 degrees
July: Average High 91 degrees / Average Low 73 degrees
August: Average High 91 degrees / Average Low 73 degrees
September: Average High 89 degrees / Average Low 72 degrees
October: Average High 84 degrees / Average Low 65 degrees
November: Average High 78 degrees / Average Low 57 degrees
December: Average High 72 degrees / Average Low 51 degrees

So basically any temperature in the high 70's or above is weather that will make you want to stay indoors?

I actually find the 70s and 80s to be perfect weather. And 3-4 months of hot weather is nice when you are surrounded by oceans, lakes, and natural springs. I actually am more active when the weather is warm vs cool. I enjoy jogging when I don't have to wrap myself in a sweater or jacket. I don't like to go outdoors when the temperature is below 60 degrees. I prefer 70s and 80s and if it is 90s+ I want to be in the water, which is outside. I personally look forward to the summer months because I love being in the water. I usually only feel comfortable enough to go in the water from May to September. When I go to Blue Springs or Wekiva Springs, I can only handle that water during the peak of summer because the spring water is so cold, especially if you dive in the cave at Blue Springs. However, I understand we all have our personal preferences.

I also don't understand your bathroom comment. Did your a/c only have an on/off switch lol. I always kept mine set around 68-70 degrees and it was perfect walking around in clothes or just my undies. Most homes have A/C where you can set the temperature.

When it comes to insurance, that is true... its very costly and the cost to maintain your pool is also pretty pricey. Luckily, I have solar panels on my roof to heat the pool and jacuzzi, so it's not too bad for me.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 02-12-2015 at 10:16 PM..

Old 02-12-2015, 10:23 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,668,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

Here are the facts...

So basically any temperature in the high 70's or above is weather that will make you want to stay indoors? I actually find the 70s and 80s to be perfect weather. And 3-4 months of hot weather is nice when you are surrounded by oceans, lakes, and natural springs. I actually am more active when the weather is warm vs cool. I enjoy jogging when I don't have to wrap myself in a sweater or jacket. However, I understand we all have our personal preferences.

I also don't understand your bathroom comment. Did your a/c only have an on/off switch lol. I always kept mine set around 68-70 degrees and it was perfect walking around in clothes or just my undies. Most homes have A/C where you can set the temperature.

Also, weather is a preference. I personally look forward to the summer months because I love being in the water. I usually only feel comfortable enough to go in the water from May to September. When I go to Blue Springs or Wekiva Springs, I can only handle that water during the peak of summer because the spring water is so cold, especially if you dive in the cave at Blue Springs.

When it comes to insurance, that is true... its very costly and the cost to maintain your pool is also pretty pricey. Luckily, I have solar panels on my roof to heat the pool and jacuzzi, so it's not too bad for me.
Right now FL is getting some cooler weather, the first time in about 5 yrs. I have lived there and remember a few Thanksgivings that were close to 90 degrees. Having the A/C on at Christmas as it was over 80 degrees.

You also have to add the humidity which increases the heat index by about 10 degrees, so 78 can easily feel like 88.

They love to claim in FL that it never goes over a 100(actually it has), but with the heat index it can feel like 108.

You will get cooler weather here in there with temps in the 60s as highs, but it doesn't last.

My bathroom comments were referring to what FL feels like OUTSIDE a good part of the year. It is a sauna. That is what I meant, I thought it was self explanatory.

And I can say for someone to consider FL and pick Orlando(voted a few times America's rudest city), well if you're going to move to FL at least go somewhere where a breeze off the ocean will help from time to time.

Central FL, no thanks.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Right now FL is getting some cooler weather, the first time in about 5 yrs. I have lived there and remember a few Thanksgivings that were close to 90 degrees. Having the A/C on at Christmas as it was over 80 degrees.

You also have to add the humidity which increases the heat index by about 10 degrees, so 78 can easily feel like 88.

They love to claim in FL that it never goes over a 100(actually it has), but with the heat index it can feel like 108.

You will get cooler weather here in there with temps in the 60s as highs, but it doesn't last.

My bathroom comments were referring to what FL feels like OUTSIDE a good part of the year. It is a sauna. That is what I meant, I thought it was self explanatory.

And I can say for someone to consider FL and pick Orlando(voted a few times America's rudest city), well if you're going to move to FL at least go somewhere where a breeze off the ocean will help from time to time.

Central FL, no thanks.
Where did you live in Orlando?

My guess is you never have by the information you're giving...

I'm asking because either your memory is failing you or you are getting your information from wikipedia. It sounds like you are describing South Florida, in terms of weather. Orlando is a few hours North, which actually makes a huge difference especially during winter months. I've lived in Orlando and South Florida, so I'm not talking from some article I read, I'm talking from years of living there lol. I also hold no bias because I was not born in Florida either, I spent the most time in Alaska compared to any area I've lived.

Humidity acts both ways, it can make it feel warmer and cooler. For example, when it's 70 degrees in San Francisco, you can lay out in a t-shirt if there is no wind, while 70 degrees in Orlando, I will be wearing a sweater.

I rarely take articles serious because as someone who has lived in so many places and traveled, I find most of them to be very inaccurate. The reason I moved to Orlando in the first place awhile back was because every time we visited, we found the locals to be very friendly, so... either your experience may vary like in most cities or I can choose to listen to a random article vs my actual experience living there lol.

Once again, you are overly exaggerating the weather, even for South Florida, but especially for Orlando lol. Although, South Florida does get very hot, it's till not as hot as the Caribbean, but why are we even talking about it. Weather is a PERSONAL preference... it's like debating whether Thai food is better than American food... however, saying walking outside in Orlando is the same as leaving your shower on hot for 5 minutes is so exaggerated and when you apply that to 8 months of the year being like that, you won't get a single local to every agree to that, it sounds as stupid as saying you have a 50/50 chance on getting raped by a homosexual if you visit San Francisco lol.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:43 PM

6,418 posts, read 8,291,209 times
Yeah, I could see living in Fort Lauderdale or parts of Miami, but even the 'nice' parts of Orlando just have ZERO appeal to me. I think I'd rather live in Arizona than Orlando, and that is saying a lot...

Old 02-12-2015, 10:58 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,426,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

Here are the facts...

So basically any temperature in the high 70's or above is weather that will make you want to stay indoors?

I actually find the 70s and 80s to be perfect weather. And 3-4 months of hot weather is nice when you are surrounded by oceans, lakes, and natural springs. I actually am more active when the weather is warm vs cool. I enjoy jogging when I don't have to wrap myself in a sweater or jacket. I don't like to go outdoors when the temperature is below 60 degrees. I prefer 70s and 80s and if it is 90s+ I want to be in the water, which is outside. I personally look forward to the summer months because I love being in the water. I usually only feel comfortable enough to go in the water from May to September. When I go to Blue Springs or Wekiva Springs, I can only handle that water during the peak of summer because the spring water is so cold, especially if you dive in the cave at Blue Springs. However, I understand we all have our personal preferences.

Sounds like Florida is better for you. I'm not sure where you got those averages, but in the 5 years I lived in Central Florida (2009-2014), the average temps in November were in the high 80's and miserably humid. January and February were really the only tolerable months. 70's and 80's are the ideal for me as well, but with all the humidity in Central Fl, the heat index is a lot higher, and you feel like you're in a bowl of soup when it's 70 degrees in the morning when you leave for work. You might not want to go outside when it's below 50, but at least to me getting smacked in the face at 8am on my way to work with 72 and humid was absolutely awful.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:35 PM

378 posts, read 442,114 times
Default I personally will not move out of Bay Area unless

I am on Witness Protection Program.

It is expensive and I will make sure my income keep up with demand

Here is old discussion on Bay Area vs Orlando FL

Comparing Bay Area vs. Orlando Area

Old 02-12-2015, 11:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,668,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Sounds like Florida is better for you. I'm not sure where you got those averages, but in the 5 years I lived in Central Florida (2009-2014), the average temps in November were in the high 80's and miserably humid. January and February were really the only tolerable months. 70's and 80's are the ideal for me as well, but with all the humidity in Central Fl, the heat index is a lot higher, and you feel like you're in a bowl of soup when it's 70 degrees in the morning when you leave for work. You might not want to go outside when it's below 50, but at least to me getting smacked in the face at 8am on my way to work with 72 and humid was absolutely awful.
Thank you. FL is hot and humid most of the year. I just mentioned Thanksgivings hovering close to 90.

Look, if someone likes that type of weather fine. But there is a reason the "snowbirds" come down after Thanksgiving and head north by March/April.

The high humidity makes it very uncomfortable most of the time.

And when you're coming from a drier climate it makes it really uncomfortable.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:05 AM

LOL, I was just thinking... how did this thread change to whether or not to move to Florida? We now have a link to a thread comparing whether to live in the Bay Area or Orlando, yet nobody is asking about whether it would be a good choice for them to move there. I've lived in Orlando, I still have a house there, so I know what it's like and whether it would be a good fit for me, so I personally don't need people who've never lived there to tell me what it's like there. I don't think anyone else here is juggling that decision, so it's rather funny how this has become the focus of the thread lol.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:11 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,142,616 times
I think Orlando blows, but if it's a good place for some, more power to them. they should really own the idea that what most people consider terrible, sweat-through-your-crotch humid conditions are not "ideal" though. You may like them--even prefer them--but, all things being equal-- most would choose something far, far away from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland