Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 11:48 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
That's just the tip of the iceberg. My 98 Toyota pickup got jacked in broad daylight off the street in front of San Jose City College (nice job, security) a few years ago, almost surely by one of the crime rings that feast on old Hondas and Toyotas and part them out immediately. They're easy to get into and wire, and have parts that sell on the market due to reliability.

The one thing I am very thankful for is it happened when Mom was not there... had an elderly friend that had her purse stolen coming out of Longs and the thief threw her to the ground breaking her hip... bedridden for 3 years and then died all for $40 in cash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 01:44 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,850,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The one thing I am very thankful for is it happened when Mom was not there... had an elderly friend that had her purse stolen coming out of Longs and the thief threw her to the ground breaking her hip... bedridden for 3 years and then died all for $40 in cash
Yeah, this Honda/Toyota ring has been all over CA, AZ, and Mexico, not known for confronting people, just stealing unoccupied cars. They got mine when I just starting to look for a new one, since mine was pretty much done, nearing 300k hard miles. So they stole a junker (haha, good job, idiots!). Hope this latest bust puts a serious dent in this gang's operation.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:47 PM

2,023 posts, read 1,743,317 times
We are outsourcing jobs from making toilet paper to manufacturing toxic drywall or building our cars and trucks. I wish we could outsource our felons to another English-speaking country; India or the Phillipines comes to mind. In a third-world country the prisons and the guards would cost a fraction of what we are paying in the USA.
It would make sense to send everyone out of the country with life without parole or other lengthy sentences. As for our citizens unable to visit their beloved murderer or robber relative, if they want Jimmy the gang banger kept here in
Los Angeles, let them pay the full cost of Jimmy's incarceration, up to 60 K a year, or more.
The high cost of keeping felons locked up has more to do with the unions than with the cost of their food or the cost of barbed wire fences. Outsourcing the bastards is an idea, which obviously won't fly in our PC-obsessed (politically correct) society.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:21 PM

It really is becoming the wild west except nobody is shooting back...

The news is nothing but shooting, killings, smash and grab and home invasions...

Have to take Mom to her Insurance Company in the morning... a police report is not enough... they need to witness her signature or we have to find a notary on the report of loss form they sent.

Made it clear she is still holding out hope her car comes back... we already know it can't be replaced with similar because her's was a perfect, loved and well maintained 14 year old car with 60k miles.

They are talking about settling... so what happens if they close the file and then find her car???

Old 03-04-2015, 08:05 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
If her car is found, it's unlikely that it will be in the same shape as it was when stolen. So you may as well get a new car.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If her car is found, it's unlikely that it will be in the same shape as it was when stolen. So you may as well get a new car.
Unfortunately... this is looking more and more likely...

At 80 she is adamant against a new car... and now fearful it could be stolen....

So many have told me it's just a property crime and she has insurance... the reality is it can shake a person's very confidence... especially one that is independant at an older age.

I found a similar car in Indiana with twice the mileage... crazy as it seems... I called and asked about shipping it to California and the quote is $840... more crazy is buying a used car sight unseen... I know.

She has a 2014 Corolla rental... it's OK... just a whole lot bigger than her 2001 and has blind spots... drives fine.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:16 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:

At 80 she is adamant against a new car... and now fearful it could be stolen....

So many have told me it's just a property crime and she has insurance... the reality is it can shake a person's very confidence... especially one that is independant at an older age.

I found a similar car in Indiana with twice the mileage... crazy as it seems... I called and asked about shipping it to California and the quote is $840... more crazy is buying a used car sight unseen... I know.

She has a 2014 Corolla rental... it's OK... just a whole lot bigger than her 2001 and has blind spots... drives fine.
If she wants a smaller car, maybe a Honda Fit or a Ford Fiesta? If she replaces her 2001 with another one of the same vintage she will still be vulnerable to having it stolen. People steal those cars because they are easy to steal, not because of the value. Newer cars are very difficult to steal, you punch the ignition you disable all of the circuitry. Another advantage to a newer car is the rear view camera, it might really be a plus for her in backing up and parking.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:47 PM

807 posts, read 898,779 times
Quote:

Any new updates? Stories like these make me angry.

I'd like to add to 2sleepy's small car suggestions, the smallest Toyota would be the Yaris but there's also the hatchback Matrix.

Cars are a big part of people's lives, somehow I don't think it's right for repeat car thieves to be treated as being as harmless as common thieves. At some point the total summed loss in vehicles and productivity caused by a single career thief could exceed the value that a person may earn in their entire lifetime. In other words, career car thieves can inflict damage to society that is arguably equivalent to entire lives. Shouldn't that be a capital crime?

Old 03-04-2015, 10:24 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveNotCommute View Post
Shouldn't that be a capital crime?
A capital crime? Don't you mean--a felony? It already is a felony, isn't it? I thought the US was cutting back on capital punishment. A car isn't worth a life.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:42 PM

807 posts, read 898,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A capital crime? Don't you mean--a felony? It already is a felony, isn't it? I thought the US was cutting back on capital punishment. A car isn't worth a life.
It isn't one car but for the worst of the worst who cause accumulated damage equal or greater than a life.

Of course, there's the presumption on my part that the value of life can be measured and assigned an estimation. My view is that cumulative damage adds up. Eventually, no matter how generous we are, there must be a point reached where the sum of lives damaged has reasonable equivalency to a single life taken away.

But felony level punishment, without early release exemptions, would be a good enough substitute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland