Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,398 times

Advertisements

So me and my husband are planning on relocating to the Bay area sometime in the next year or so. We have 2 elementary aged children and a toddler and both work. I am a licensed cosmetologist and my husband works odd jobs (labor, sales....whatever he can obtain). We are both planning on attending a community college or university. Because I work for a large corporation I am able to find work pretty much anywhere. We are hoping to find a city that is a little more affordable (don't jump on my ass, I know the bay area is super expensive) as we as safe. We are currently on Section 8 but it seems like the only places that accept it are super crappy and unsafe. We aren't a criminal, free loading, family who receives public assistance. I say that because when most people hear that we're on section 8 they think we deal drugs out of our home and all the other negative connotations that come with it. We are just trying to get by and get through school to provide better lives for our children than we had. I am a pre-nursing student and my husband is planning on going into substance abuse counseling and we don't have our hearts set on any town in particular so are open to anything. Any ideas may be valuable and much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 03:50 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Why would you choose one of the most expensive parts of the country and even the world if you are having financial difficulties? Why not somewhere like Houston where they have a strong economy, they pay actually pretty well and the cost of living is peanuts compared to virtually anywhere in the Bay Area.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:31 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,990 times
And where do you currently live? This has bad idea written all over it. Trolling?

Old 03-02-2015, 08:47 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_mae87 View Post
So me and my husband are planning on relocating to the Bay area sometime in the next year or so. We have 2 elementary aged children and a toddler and both work. I am a licensed cosmetologist and my husband works odd jobs (labor, sales....whatever he can obtain). We are both planning on attending a community college or university. Because I work for a large corporation I am able to find work pretty much anywhere. We are hoping to find a city that is a little more affordable (don't jump on my ass, I know the bay area is super expensive) as we as safe. We are currently on Section 8 but it seems like the only places that accept it are super crappy and unsafe. We aren't a criminal, free loading, family who receives public assistance. I say that because when most people hear that we're on section 8 they think we deal drugs out of our home and all the other negative connotations that come with it. We are just trying to get by and get through school to provide better lives for our children than we had. I am a pre-nursing student and my husband is planning on going into substance abuse counseling and we don't have our hearts set on any town in particular so are open to anything. Any ideas may be valuable and much appreciated.
where do you live now? And what makes you think you can transfer that section 8 voucher? Most places in the bay area do not take in-transfers for section 8, and in the more expensive areas there are no rentals within the permissible rent of a section 8 voucher, so you would have to cough up the difference between what section 8 pays and the rental price.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:00 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
You might have better luck in Sacramento. Living in the bay area is a bad plan for your current situations. There are plenty of decent community colleges all over the state and country. If you are packing up and moving far you shoukd pick somewhere where your income will allow you to be fairly self-sufficient.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:21 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I can't imagine moving with 3 little kids to the Bay Area with low skills no money. I just can't. Unless a family member will be hosting you and giving you a place to live you need to look elsewhere. Things will only get worse for you here.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:51 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
And where do you currently live? This has bad idea written all over it. Trolling?
Yep, reminds me of the im coming to San francisco and what are the best places to beg for money threads.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:52 AM

9 posts, read 40,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_mae87 View Post
(don't jump on my ass, I know the bay area is super expensive)
Housing here is extremely competitive, why on earth would you move here?

Old 03-05-2015, 12:54 AM

9 posts, read 40,558 times
I don't think you understand what "expensive" means when it comes to the Bay area.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:00 PM

540 posts, read 653,469 times
That toddler alone is going to cost you 1000 a month for Daycare unless somebody plans on watching him at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland