Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 07:47 PM

4 posts, read 2,983 times

Advertisements

Looking for suggestions for non-christian private schools. I know the local schools are very good, but due to the generosity of a wealthy relative I don't have to pay for any of my kids' education, so I'm interested in the best school that someone else's money can buy. We don't have a location picked out yet and finding a home will be influence by school choice.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 09:03 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Depends on what kind of school you're looking for. There's too many to rattle off and located in too large an area to narrow down.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:43 AM

4 posts, read 2,983 times
Actually I was shocked at how few there were. Starting here, there are 40

Contra Costa County, CA Private High Schools | PrivateSchoolReview.com

Take out the Christian and specialty schools and you're left with

Bentley Upper
Halstrom (seems like a special needs school)
Orinda (although only 111 students for 6 grades)
The Athenian School

Are there others that aren't listed?

Old 05-22-2015, 09:00 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Seven Hills Independent School - A Private School in the East Bay Area

Old 05-22-2015, 09:06 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
I didn't realize there were actually so few..here's a broader list where you might find more ...Berkeley Parents Network: K-12 Private Schools

Do (and/or wife)you not need to work? Are you familiar with the cost of housing in some of these cities? Is your wealthy relative paying for a house also? You didn't address these issues and might determine some things.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:39 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
If you live in an area with top rated public schools, like some of the best in the state, do you still need/want private?

Old 05-22-2015, 09:48 AM

520 posts, read 611,525 times
There aren't that many. Athenian and Bentley are the two largest that I know of. I have also known of kids in the area who go to private schools farther afield, like College Prep and Head Royce in Oakland, or even schools in Marin or SF. But for many parents, especially if religion isn't a factor, the public schools are so good there's no reason to look private. Plus the public schools, in places like Orinda, often have contributions and fundraising that make them somewhat like a private school anyway.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Taking away Christian schools doesn't leave you with much...

My sister in law was very vocal from day one her children would not be attending a Christian School... let alone a Catholic School.

They were both very involved with the their local public school... serving on committees and volunteering...

My brother was nominated to head the landscape committee and the school was really neglected in this area...

He lined up donations from Garden Centers, Contractors, Irrigation materials and parents for labor plus the services of a landscape architect... all this was for naught.

The principal informed the committee they could not provide services or material other than fundraising... see... district union employees are the only ones allowed to actually improve and maintain school grounds.

It was like a sucker punch to the efforts of all... my brother and sister in law stepped down because holding bake sales... was not what they signed on for... not that you can have bake sales anymore.

They were able to get their kids into a Catholic School after much research... which meant driving the kids back and forth...

It's been 6 years and the kids are thriving... their parents are very involved and even my sister in law and her family said it was the right decision... and no... she has never set foot inside the church and quite a few families don't either.

By the way... the monsignor was ever so grateful for the landscaping assistance and the companies that donated are patronized by the parishioners...

The school grounds look like a park...

The point of my long post is to question if your blanket objection to Christian schools in the best interest of the child or bias from the parent.

I attended public grade school and then Catholic High School in Oakland... the older I get the more I appreciate the sacrifice my parents made to send me there... it was actually more demanding than college.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:15 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Bentley's a great school. Why do there need to be a lot of schools? You only need your kids to get into one.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:29 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Contra Costa covers a lot of territory... could be a long haul point to point.

Also, tuition can vary significantly...

I'm only aware of Bentley in Lafayette...
http://www.bentleyschool.net/Page/Ad...ition-and-Fees

2014-2015 Tuition
Kindergarten through Grade 5 is $24,800
Grades 6 through 8 is $27,100
Grades 9 through 12 is $33,600

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bentley-upper-school-lafayette

Just for comparison here are the numbers for a Lafayette K-8 Catholic School
http://www.stperpetua.org/domain/65

Tuition In Parish Out of Parish
1 child $7,430 $8,255
2 children $13,620 $15,265
3 children $18,250 $21,050

http://www.yelp.com/biz/st-perpetua-school-lafayette

It's great to have options and depending on choice... a private education k-12 could cost 150k to 350k based on current tuition schedules...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 05-23-2015 at 01:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland